• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1450 Brake Parts spec ?

rockhead

So the manual on my 81 1450 says it has a 'modified drum brake' on the drive shaft. Does anybody know what parts fit this ? It seems to have gotten serious drag that overheated it to the point where the wheel cylinder exploded :bolt: which explains why stepping on the brake does nada.

To rebuild I suppose I'd need at a minimum a drum, shoes and a wheel cylinder.
I suppose plan B might be to convert it to a disc ?

rockhead

Showed pic of brake assembly to local parts store, they figure casting #'s will source the needed bits, possibly excluding the drum which I'm guessing will need four holes added for the u-joint connection.
We shall see . . .

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Please post results of your search, I have a 1450 missing the brake assembly too and would sure like to add one.

rockhead

Wellllll, they were much less enthused seeing the parts in person. Got a couple of sorta matches on the wheel cylinder and nothing else.
Building from the hub out it appears I may be able to adapt a 2010 BMW X3 disc and caliper.

Parts ordered, film at eleven :hammer:

rockhead

Locate the center, overlay template, missed it by a couple mm, then ready for center punch and drill

Attachments

• disc1.jpg
    disc1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 293
  • disc2.jpg
    disc2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 293
  • disc3.jpg
    disc3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 300

rockhead

Ruh roh disc is yoooooge, chop shop time, and then ... 1 (stripped) bolt away from self propelled again:drive2:

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 253
  • selfPropelled.jpg
    selfPropelled.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 250

rockhead

The caliper drops into place like it belongs there :clap:
The alignment of the backer and the caliper is amazingly close to just 1/4" plate:wink:

Attachments

• highCaliper.jpg
    highCaliper.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 232
  • miracleFit.jpg
    miracleFit.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 231

rockhead

ohhhh and from fabricating shop of rude crude and lewd the caliper bracket

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg