• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cats Meow Jamboree, April, 2015

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Are they tightening the tracks of the '55? Or fixing something broken?

AdkSnowcat

I never did see anyone with the paintings.

I didn't make it out with the art. I knew I was going to have an important doctor appointment the Friday before. The doc put me into a daily testing regimen that I just couldn't do on the road. Someday I'll get to show my snowcat paintings I hope!

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Trip up the mountain for a ski run, not sure what Scott is up to back behind the cat.

77dcc5aee2e17a5b4c3cdad1ce943833.jpg

It's good to see that he's wearing his Alabama Woolen's for his downhill adventure!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Perfect bluebird days! Also, I see the chair is still heading up in the left of the pic above. How high would they let you guys climb with the cats before you were out of bounds?

Also, I would like to call dibs on that AT&T cat if you ever decide to part ways with it. I thought the camo one was awesome, but this one takes the cake. :notworthy

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will say that in the modified slush we were playing in, the tuckers (pontoon!) did out perform everything else on the slopes. I know the Orange Side was calling to at least one trac owner during the weekend. Hopefully I was able to talk him back before Jinn cuts off his hand and forever bonds him to the orange side.

"modified slush" what is this, something that the orange paint modified? I think I would blame it on George Bush.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Perfect bluebird days! Also, I see the chair is still heading up in the left of the pic above. How high would they let you guys climb with the cats before you were out of bounds?

Also, I would like to call dibs on that AT&T cat if you ever decide to part ways with it. I thought the camo one was awesome, but this one takes the cake. :notworthy

We drove up to another 500+ feet elevation above the Silcox Hut. And NO, no one was out of bounds for the Meow. And thank all who were there for being responsible drivers so that we will be invited back.

As far as the 543 AT&T, take a number.

Thank you Mr. Net for the Cat's Meow event stickers, you are awesome!

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
after i removed my blade my canyon climbed the hill in the slush. one slope showed 17% grade.
snow trac spinning out below
DSC01748.jpg

the solution
DSC01749.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

that's what I noticed about my st, without the ice cleats it didn't climb all that well - with the ice cleats it drove out of the tracks when on heavy packed snow and forget about turning at all on sod - great pictures

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
What I noticed on the ST's. The tracks were loading up and not shedding the snow. When Snowsurfer was backing they shed more. At one point he had snow solid from the top of track to the fender. This was really mushy stuff we were playing in this weekend.

Sno-Surfer

Here are some photos from my better camera. I thought I'd take a lot more but time flys by when you're having so much fun! I had plans to gopro a bunch of things but never got far. We need Nikson back to help us out with the video.
By the way, they just had a dusting of new snow. I bet the Snow Trac would make it up there now. I sure as heck tried. I tried early on Sat and Sun morning and made it a bit farther each time but it was a work out and all I really did was make a mess of the road with trenches and zig zag tracks all over. I found going backwards I could climb better but just couldn't quite get over the steep sections. I found it real interesting to see how all the other cats worked in this snow and I was sure impressed by how the Tuckers climbed that stuff, even the Torpedo.

You can see below what Cidertom is talking about. Like mud stuck in your tires, I was running on slicks as soon as they spun. This was my high mark on Saturday morning.

Sno-Surfer

Here's part of the group up at the Silcox hut for lunch.

I like the Torpedo with the snowboard look.

I didn't get to meet Kerry but he lives in the same town as myself. I better get to know him as his LMC looks incredible.

Sno-drifter and Cidertom's better half front and center.

Shuttling up to Silcox hut.

Riding with Tucker Royalty

Pontoon Princess rounding up pontoons.

Sunday mornings high mark.

Looks good but that's about as high as I could get.

Tuckers everywhere

You can see the reflection of all this orange on top of the Mt Hood.

Sno-Cat!

Clean machine

Love the simplicity of the Torpedos

Got a few more I'll post up after a while.
Also wanted to add that even though I couldn't get my Snow Trac to the Silcox hut like last year, we had a really great time. It worked out just fine to hitch a ride up there and there's so much to do and see just in and around the lodge. It is absolutely amazing that we get to bring our cats up there to play around and enjoy this special place. Huge thanks to Pontoon Princess and Sno-drifter for organizing this and making it happen and of course Timberline Lodge for hosting us. I hope this continues and becomes and annual event, it's just too much fun with some really fine folks! Already looking forward to next years events. I'll be shooting to make both Mcall and Leavenworth and whatever else comes up. Really great getting to know everyone a bit better this year. :smile:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent pictures! I also find it interesting that even given the substantial increase in snowfall this year, the upper areas around Silcox actually look more bare than last year.

And agreed, next year there needs to be video and all machines should be lined up according to date of manufacture with their pilots & Hood in the background.

Odd that the loose snow would cling to the tracks like that as well. How was it coming back down? Did the tracks stay clogged & turn it into a slip & slide?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
coming down from silcox hut 8am sunday jeff said his snow trac slid a little in places. he was towing the loaded toboggan.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Really great photos and commentary. Thanks for sharing with those of us that didn't make the trip.

It looks like a great time was had by all, and the weather was perfect. I had flown into PDX Tuesday night and left Wednesday afternoon. It rained the entire time and Mt Hood was shrouded in clouds both on the arrival and departure. I'm glad the weather went from lousy to fantastic.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent pictures! I also find it interesting that even given the substantial increase in snowfall this year, the upper areas around Silcox actually look more bare than last year.

The reason that the snow level near Silcox looks low is that they plow it out in order to not have the hut snowed in and for access. The north( Mt. Hood side) is much deeper this year. We had more area to play in this year.

This photo shows Silcox in a deep snow year. That is the west chimney top in the foreground. The Hut is completely buried. Winter of '71-'72.

Attachments

• DSCN2713.jpg
    DSCN2713.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 211

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's part of the group up at the Silcox hut for lunch.

I like the Torpedo with the snowboard look.

I didn't get to meet Kerry but he lives in the same town as myself. I better get to know him as his LMC looks incredible.

Sno-drifter and Cidertom's better half front and center.

Shuttling up to Silcox hut.

Riding with Tucker Royalty

Pontoon Princess rounding up pontoons.

Sunday mornings high mark.

Looks good but that's about as high as I could get.

Tuckers everywhere

You can see the reflection of all this orange on top of the Mt Hood.

Sno-Cat!

Clean machine

Love the simplicity of the Torpedos

Got a few more I'll post up after a while.
Also wanted to add that even though I couldn't get my Snow Trac to the Silcox hut like last year, we had a really great time. It worked out just fine to hitch a ride up there and there's so much to do and see just in and around the lodge. It is absolutely amazing that we get to bring our cats up there to play around and enjoy this special place. Huge thanks to Pontoon Princess and Sno-drifter for organizing this and making it happen and of course Timberline Lodge for hosting us. I hope this continues and becomes and annual event, it's just too much fun with some really fine folks! Already looking forward to next years events. I'll be shooting to make both Mcall and Leavenworth and whatever else comes up. Really great getting to know everyone a bit better this year. :smile:
snow tracs do suck when the snow gets real slushy, they just don't have the power to pull through or clean the tracks, as far as climbing I have on occasions had t ascend hills backward. it is really how amazing how much more traction a snow trac has in reverse, they will climb backward without track spin inclines that would leave you stuck going forward

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
what happened to the Cats Meow? no more?

our feeling was, maybe to do it every 5 years or so, keeping it special, with good attendance, timberline lodge is a vey special place.

also, wanted to see other areas host a jamboree, and get to see more of snow country

the cats meow will be back!!!!

Last edited: