• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Long story, but need your thoughts

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heavy shit time guys.
My wife developed breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 2003. Went through the chemo and radiation, but it spread into her lower spine requiring a spondylectomy (removal of the third lumbar vertebra) in February 2004. She had a pulmonary embolism that almost killed her soon after the surgery, but recovered from that and began to make progress. Toward the end of an expected two-week hospitalization she developed staph infection in the wound site. Six weeks of antibiotics drips and the sent her home in an ambulance and then six more weeks of antibiotic drips at home, wearing a turtle shell type brace, with me to care for her. It had spread into the bones of her thighs also.
The neurosurgeon released her too soon for chemo and radiation after this was completed (in my opinion) and in July 2004 she was hospitalized for two weeks to determine the cause of unexplained severe pains (the oncologist and neurosurgeon were out of town, so emergency room admission).
Another twelve weeks or so of the antibiotic drips. She had some improvement but the cancer was active too. We discovered during this hospitalization that it had spread into the liver. Because of the staph infection the oncologist she had been seeing did nothing and offered nothing other than pain relief, and by December 2004 she couldn't walk without a walker and even with that it was very limited. At the time I thought she was near death.
We got an authorization from our insurance for her to go to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and were there for about a week just prior to Christmas. The oncologist recommended Xeloda, and orally administered chemo pill that doesn't compromise the immune system as traditional chemo treatments does. Within days of starting the drug her pain was much better, and during the next several months her tumors were greatly reduced in size. Within six weeks of starting the drug she was able to get around by herself and even drive to town occasionally. Our visit to Houston in September brought bad news... it was no longer working.
In October she began to have chronic pain in her upper back and we discovered that the cancer had deteriorated vertebra between her shoulder blades. She began a series of monthly infusions of Zometa
and that seemed to help with the pain. About the same time she began to have periods of mental confusion, paranoia, that indicated the possibility the cancer was in her brain. These periods were generally shortlived and not really frequent. In November things got so bad that I had to bring in a Hospice Care provider so I would have someone to call on for help.
From that point she went downhill, and suffered tremendously until her death on 30 May.
We had been through so much by that time that her death was welcomed, as it provided relief for her and me.
I don't want to come across as whining, but through this entire ordeal there was no one but me to provide care for her at home. Her only family consisted of two old aunts that couldn't do anything, and a bunch of cousins who could care less. My family is hundreds of miles away.
She often expressed her desire that I “find somebody” after it was over, and that she didn't expect or want me to be alone.
Bottom line, I took care of her and loved her as I would want to be treated.
Now I need to take care of myself. I haven't had any sex since January 2004. That's hard for me to comprehend; I used to pride myself on trick-****ing all night. Now I don't even know if it will work.
I'm thinking of trying to develop a ****-buddy type relationship. I'm not into one-night stands or going with whatever comes down the pike, but would prefer to develop a friendship with amenities, so to speak, to help myself back into the real world of the bedroom rodeo.
I don't feel uncomfortable trying to make a move now, but do you think others will understand or will they give me hell in a handbasket for screwing around before the ground settles on my widow?

Tell it as you see it, and thanks.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess it all depends if you really care what others think of you. I don't think it plays well rushing into things. However, if you can do it discretely then go for it! I bet it will almost be like the first time again - enjoy it.

Sorry for all the rough times. You did the right thing and are doing the right thing. You have my condolences.

Unless it's right in front of you, I'd hold off a little longer. It just seems like the right thing to do.

terbear1963

Glenn, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and your Mrs. had a very loving relationship thru the good and the bad. You sound like a very caring and giving person. I think that maybe what you may feel comfortable doing is really just get back to some sort of normalcy in your life outside of having to take care of your wife. Try to get out and just be with people---that type of interaction that you may not have been able to do while caring for you wife. One step at a time. The right person will come along--probably when you least expect it--and things will fall into place. As you well know, sex is not always the first and formost need....although most men will think otherwise!!! LOL I do understand that there is a need in your situation, but again--you have got to do what you feel comfortable with. It will happen...Start just by getting YOUR life back one step at a time.
Best wishes in finding another ANGEL!!!

Terri

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Be strong and take things as they come. If they're sooner than people approve of ****'em. Your an adult, do as you like. NOBODY knows what you've gone through!

Good Luck and God bless!

Greg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for your loss and suffering through all of this long ordeal. I'm sure these past few years have been a roller coaster of ups and downs .... very draining emotionally. Everyone is different. I can fully understand the desire for a **** buddy, and if you feel you are ready, go for it. Family is far removed and out of the picture. Real friends know what you have gone through. And who cares what others think that do not know all you've gone through. Time to take care of papa and not worry about 'what they might think'.
Take er slow buddy. I'm still dealing with issues of my dad's death, and that was 5 years ago. The loss never goes away, but time helps dull it a bit.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn , I am so sorry for your loss . My mother died pretty much the same way 11 1/2 years ago . She was 69 . Dad was 70 .

I looked at your profile and see that you are 59 years young . You still have a lot of active life left .

After my mother died ,Dad was lost and slowly dying inside from lonliness . We kids tried to do the best we could but he needed friends and companionship his own age . They had been married over 50 years and I mistakenly thought Dad would never remarry at 70 .
Dad met a lady 3 years older at some function and they hit it off . Dad's from Texas and this lady was from Oklahoma . They just clicked . This all happened within 6 months after Mom died .
At first we were not too happy with Dad talking about marriage when Mom had only been gone 6 months but then I realized that Dad was not forgetting about Mom ,he was trying to go forward with his life . They were married within 1 year of Moms passing . They have been together 11 years now and until Dads recent illnesses have had a good time . She never tried to take Moms place and we have learned to accept and respect her in our family .
Dad never tried to replace Mom with this new women and he still talks often of Mom. His new wife also is very respectful .
What I am saying is Dad could and would have died shortly after Mom if he had not gone forward . Some people can be alone and thats ok , some can't . So the way I see it , this new lady has given me my father for another 11 years that we may not have had him .

Don't rush it . Just keep your eyes open and it will happen when it is right .

Here's my favorite saying :

" Find them in a bar , Lose them in a bar"

Trakternut

You went through an extended illness with your wife. The moment you became aware that you would lose her, you began the grieving process. It didn't start only when she actually died. You had partially come to terms with losing her before that time came.

My theory on "getting over" losing someone close is this; Whatever you feel at a given moment is the right thing to feel. Each of us would have handled this situation differently because we're all individuals.

You took good care of that lady for a long time, and as Big Al said, time to take care of yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted, ok?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn, I thought about this one for a couple days and think that the first answer you got (from PBinWA) was an excellent answer. Certainly you have a grieving process to deal. Take care.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn.. I'm very sorry for your loss.

"do you think others will understand or will they give me hell in a handbasket for screwing around before the ground settles"

Don't say crap to the relatives,etc about it.. go to Vegas.. spend a little money.. have some fun.. relax.. gather your thoughts.

Once you're ready.. you'll find someone you'd like to spend time w/.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I lost my beloved partner aged 57, he had lung cancer and then tumours on the brain. It was over five years ago and I still grieve like it was yesterday, no one will ever be able to take his place. I fill my days with restoring vehicles (see the article on the Military snowtrac restoration), this means I can go to rallies and see my daughter and my grandchildren, I would love to have some company when I drive my big vehicles - a Foden Fh70 is no toy, especially towing a trailer over the roads in Wales, but no one has come along - perhaps one day.... In the meantime, live life as best you can to take your mind off your loss, nothing and no one will ever replace what you have lost, but you have to go on. Sex is important, but companionship is probably what you miss most, I know I do. Go out and live live to the full as you don't know what is around the corner. Don't worry about what people will say, they should not judge what they have never experienced. If they are that mean minded then they are not worth worrying about.