• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I have no idea what this is called

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I need to aerate, chop up, loosen up, and get a seed bed for grass. Tilling is too much, but I know there is something that can pulled behind that will just rough up the top of ground, leaving it smooth. I have heard of people using old box springs, but I dont think this will work in my hard pac soil.

dont need big, bx 23 is all I have to pull it.

Help my ignorance

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Landscape rake without guide wheels. That is what I use.

BigAl started a thread on PASTURE RENOVATION, I posted a more detailed response in that thread. But your situation sounds like you want to do a similar thing on a smaller scale.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Forget pulling a landscape rake with a BX23 unless you break up the soil first. The only thing that will happen is that it will dig in and then stop the tractor dead in its tracks. I know, because I have a landscape rake and a BX22, and have tried this. All it has to do is catch on one root, and you are dead in the water. Rent a tiller first and get the soil loose, then use the rake to get out the branches and rocks. It will also smooth the ground as it does its job...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How large of an area do you need to do?

How about a disk harrow? There's several on e-bay that are "relatively" close or many local tractor places may sell or rent.

Renting a Harley Rake would work wonders.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what I do, did yesterday and doing today especially if you have hard pack. I have similar conditions ................

Use a disk harrow set approximately to a depth of 2"-4", I recommend making multiple passes.

Rake without wheels.

It really does work well without having to operate a slow tiller on a BX (bucking bronco!). Disk work better when ya go fast ............. :17875:

:respect:

I have both implements, 6 1/2' disk and 7' rake.......... your welcome to use them .............. :beer:

note: Yeah, I know it's a BX and it was just a little attempt at humor!

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I was not wanting to go more than 1 or 2 inches deep at most. I have a 48 inch tiller for the bx, but too much for what I want to do.

disc may be it, the but harley rake is what I think I mean........anyone have a pic

thanks guys

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If he is thinking of a Harley Rake, then he is going to need a much larger tractor...

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If he is thinking of a Harley Rake, then he is going to need a much larger tractor...

thought of one other thing, some people use a bed spring as a substitute.........

guess a harley rake is not what I thought

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am thinking disc harrow may be for what I want. How much should I expect to pay for the biggest thing I could pull with my bx? I am guessing something 48" in width, one or two sets of discs.

Trakternut

If you've got a 3-point hitch and PTO, a Harley Box Rake could be the ticket. It's got a rotating drum with teeth that will tear loose the top layer of soil and redistribute it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I am so not looking far enough. This is what I am talking about, TSC calls it a drag harrow. My question is will this rough up the soil enough to allow seeding, then possibly covering it back. I have some manure I can mix in also.

Attachments

• DragHarrow.jpg
    DragHarrow.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 73

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I am so not looking far enough. This is what I am talking about, TSC calls it a drag harrow. My question is will this rough up the soil enough to allow seeding, then possibly covering it back. I have some manure I can mix in also.

Nope. I have one. It won't tear up the soil much. It's great for levelling and breaking up clods of soil but it only lightly scratches the surface of existing turf/pasture. Maybe if you drag it around for 20 times or so it will scratch the surface more but it will take a while.

Harley rakes are very expensive and rare to find for rental. As Junk said they also need some serious horse power.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My proposal for a harley rake rental included having someone else do it.
Around here, many are attached to a skidsteer.

HERE is probably one of the least expensive disk harrows.

How about an arena ripper? Click here

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope. I have one. It won't tear up the soil much. It's great for levelling and breaking up clods of soil but it only lightly scratches the surface of existing turf/pasture. Maybe if you drag it around for 20 times or so it will scratch the surface more but it will take a while.

Harley rakes are very expensive and rare to find for rental. As Junk said they also need some serious horse power.

PB, how would that do on grassy areas that I want to smooth out from gopher and mole holes. As for the seed bed, only need quarter to half inch depth. I am also thinking way over kill for a dethatcher.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
PB, how would that do on grassy areas that I want to smooth out from gopher and mole holes. As for the seed bed, only need quarter to half inch depth. I am also thinking way over kill for a dethatcher.

If the mole holes are fresh then it will rake them out after a few passes. It's great for breaking up clods of manure and dirt.

A dethatcher isn't going to do much either.

I top-dressed an area of my yard this year and used the chain harrow to smooth it all out once I spread most of it around with a shovel and rake.

I tried using it to rough up some bald spots but it didn't work so great.

It depends on how much you want to "re-do" your lawn. If you are just overseeding it then maybe you could rent a plug aerator and really go to town on it. Then throw some seed out and maybe drag the chain harrow around to level out any mounds.

The chain harrow/drag is a nice tool to have but it's just one part of the whole job.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Guess I am going to have to break down and till it up.

thanks guys, your information is priceless.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
we have one soil here, clay! I will be mixing some cow patties in before tilling to make it finally grow

thanks guys

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If it is mostly clay, then mix in lots of sand to provide drainage and to "fluff" the "soil" so the roots can take hold...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If it is mostly clay, then mix in lots of sand to provide drainage and to "fluff" the "soil" so the roots can take hold...

When I researched this a few years ago they actually recommended against mixing sand with clay as it just makes the whole mess harder.

The recommendation I had was that organic matter (cow patties) was better when trying to amend clay soil.

Since you are tilling it up you can also add Gypsum which is supposed to bind with the clay and provide better drainage and deeper roots for the grass. You should be able to find Gypsum at Lowes or Home Despot.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone ever used a chipper to grind up drywall? Seems like that might work ??

My chipper is pretty small but I did think of it. If I had a bigger chipper then I would have tried it.

My tiller is pretty big and I know it will work.

I just finished burning up the remains of 55 Douglas Firs and just had all the plumbing in my house replaced so I have lots of Drywall and lots of acidic soil!

:tiphat:

DAP

I need to aerate, chop up, loosen up, and get a seed bed for grass. Tilling is too much, but I know there is something that can pulled behind that will just rough up the top of ground, leaving it smooth. I have heard of people using old box springs, but I dont think this will work in my hard pac soil.

dont need big, bx 23 is all I have to pull it.

Help my ignorance

This will also do the trick ...

Attachments

• P0004227.jpg
    P0004227.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14