• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CAD Strikes yet again !

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph , that turbo name comes from the way the air intake is designed . Kinda works on the same principle as Bagless Vacuums . If Your saw predates the Purchase by Husqvarna , that may be one of the reasons they Bought out J'red . It's a great system !

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Stoopid question for you chainsaw experts. :doh: WTF do you guys use to cut dead trees down with that wont destroy the chain before making one cut, I'm talking about is there a special chain/bar combo that would work better. :unsure:

Keep in mind I am a cheap bastard, and dont use the best equipment as far as saws. :wink:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Stoopid question for you chainsaw experts. :doh: WTF do you guys use to cut dead trees down with that wont destroy the chain before making one cut, I'm talking about is there a special chain/bar combo that would work better. :unsure:

Keep in mind I am a cheap bastard, and dont use the best equipment as far as saws. :wink:

You are looking for Semi chisel chain . It's not as fast as Full chisel , but it tolerates dirty wood much better . If You can find it , Stihl RMC chain is probably the best , but also a bit pricey . If You can't find that , go to
www.baileysonline.com look for woodland pro chain . I use that chain a lot , and I'm very happy with it.
BTW ,If You're cutting old locust ,or Osage, nothing lasts long in that stuff .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
You are looking for Semi chisel chain . It's not as fast as Full chisel , but it tolerates dirty wood much better . If You can find it , Stihl RMC chain is probably the best , but also a bit pricey . If You can't find that , go to
www.baileysonline.com look for woodland pro chain . I use that chain a lot , and I'm very happy with it.
BTW ,If You're cutting old locust ,or Osage, nothing lasts long in that stuff .
Cool , thanks for the info I'll see what I can find on Baileys site. :wink: And Yup its mostly big ass old locust with them huge friggen thorns, and some osage range , its just as bad cuz there full of barbwire. :doh:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool , thanks for the info I'll see what I can find on Baileys site. :wink: And Yup its mostly big ass old locust with them huge friggen thorns, and some osage range , its just as bad cuz there full of barbwire. :doh:

Look at it this way ,once You get it cut and split ,You won't have to cover the stacks . That stuff could lay in a swamp for 30 years and never rot . I'd love to get into a stand of either of those woods . the only downside to Osage is that it does love to put on a show of sparks . As far as the wire .... Nothing will help with that ,just have to be careful .
Hey , I just got one of My brilliant ideas !!!! I'll send You 10 chains for Your saw , You send Me 1 cord of Osage . Doesn't even have to be split !I prefer 16" lengths , but will accept 18 " .
How's that for a # 1 good deal there GI ?:yum::yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Look at it this way ,once You get it cut and split ,You won't have to cover the stacks . That stuff could lay in a swamp for 30 years and never rot . I'd love to get into a stand of either of those woods . the only downside to Osage is that it does love to put on a show of sparks . As far as the wire .... Nothing will help with that ,just have to be careful .
Hey , I just got one of My brilliant ideas !!!! I'll send You 10 chains for Your saw , You send Me 1 cord of Osage . Doesn't even have to be split !I prefer 16" lengths , but will accept 18 " .
How's that for a # 1 good deal there GI ?:yum::yum:
Sounds like a heller deal to me, lemme guess I pay the shipping for the wood? :yum:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
That IS a heller deal. :yum:

I hope that You don't think that this is a special deal just for You . I've made similar offers to many folks . Mind You, the amount of chains that I send is commensurate with the quality of the wood sent back .
I've only been burned once , Muleman sent Me a box 4x4x8 ' of white oak saw dust . Cost Me two rusty , rocked chains to find out He was less than honorable to deal with .:yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope that You don't think that this is a special deal just for You . I've made similar offers to many folks . Mind You, the amount of chains that I send is commensurate with the quality of the wood sent back .
I've only been burned once , Muleman sent Me a box 4x4x8 ' of white oak saw dust . Cost Me two rusty , rocked chains to find out He was less than honorable to deal with .:yum:
:rolf2:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Murph , that turbo name comes from the way the air intake is designed . Kinda works on the same principle as Bagless Vacuums . If Your saw predates the Purchase by Husqvarna , that may be one of the reasons they Bought out J'red . It's a great system !

did some looking up on that turbo and it may have nothing to do with the motor but the air filter system. I wish I could get to my manual. so Nix you might have right.

http://www.jonsered.com/us/east/chainsaws/cs-2238-s/

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got the 372 back . It's a horse .. running an 8 pin on it with a 20" bar .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
8 pin? I imagine it has something to do with the chain. Enlighten a rookie here.

Kinda hard to explain . some saws have a clutch housing with a sprocket that is integral to it (spur sprocket )
Some have a clutch housing that has a separate and free floating sprocket to drive the chain . generally it's 7 pins ,or teeth . to pull an 8 pin with authority , there has to be a lot of extra power available .
http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/sprockets/pro_main_sprockets.htm
The first is a spur sprocket , the second is rim sprocket system . most saws that run that system are using a 7 pin sprocket .
Clear as Mud
Mind You , If you are running an Ms 290 /390 like Kirk does ....... it's all immaterial .... those tings won't pull a greased string out of a dead cat's ass any way .

Last edited:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph , did that answer Your question ?
Any way ... next week the 044 Stihl goes in for a total rebuild and tweak .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well yeah kind of. But like you said "kind of hard to explain " it is kind of over my head. Ya see, mixed gas, chain oil, sharp chain and that is about all I know. I use my saw twice a year including backing over it with my tractor one year. It survived.

I thought the pin may have had something to do with a chain not the clutch or drive. But more than likely now I will have to investigate mine when I get it out again. So I learned something today.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ha the first I read this I don't remember the link being there. Interesting and most helpful when looking at what I have.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Asshat! When you wake up some morning to a box blocking your drive you will remember your cutting remarks.:hammer::yum: I know
I can get enough conspirators to help me unload it.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Asshat! When you wake up some morning to a box blocking your drive you will remember your cutting remarks.:hammer::yum: I

Hopefully that box will contain either shag bark , Osage , or locust . Mind you, if your in a bind , I'll accept red,or white oak just 'cause you're a reasonably decent guy . :whistling:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Asshat! When you wake up some morning to a box blocking your drive you will remember your cutting remarks.:hammer::yum: I know
I can get enough conspirators to help me unload it.

So, you couldn't get the box down here . Instead you just pushed over the 2 cord stack that I was building ! I went out this morning to witness the mess you made . The only thing worse than stacking is restacking !
YouSir,are despicable !!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if you stack it right to begin with these things don't happen! I have had one stack fall over since I am here and I did not stack it. The wind sure can move things around. I saw a little bit of movement in the new stack in the woodshed yesterday.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As you can see mine stayed where it was supposed to. Got a long way to go to fill the shed.

Attachments

• wood 007.jpg
    wood 007.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wood 006.jpg
    wood 006.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 17

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if you stack it right to begin with these things don't happen! I have had one stack fall over since I am here and I did not stack it. The wind sure can move things around. I saw a little bit of movement in the new stack in the woodshed yesterday.

Yeah, I should have known better than to put the pallets where I did :hammer: .
The weight of the oak on the uneven ground actually twisted the palest enough to cause the stack to fall over . Live and learn , I guess .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
As you can see mine stayed where it was supposed to. Got a long way to go to fill the shed.

Yep, you've got a long way to go for sure. Especially with those two piles of poles in the background ! I'm assuming all that's this winters wood . Do you run some type of outdoor boiler ? I only go through about 3-4 cords a year . But then it's a wood stove ,and everything has to be properly seasoned . The seasoning can take 2-3 years depending on the wood . That can be a bit of a pain because it takes up a lot of space . Can't just cut and split it and throw it in the shed and expect it to season .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep on the outside boiler. It is a 6048 central boiler and rated at 500,000 BTU. It will put out the heat if you got the wood to feed it. I burn 2-3 tri axle loads plus some slab wood since I added the greenhouses. It takes a lot of heat to keep them warm with the wind. Still cheaper than oil or propane would be.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep on the outside boiler. It is a 6048 central boiler and rated at 500,000 BTU. It will put out the heat if you got the wood to feed it. I burn 2-3 tri axle loads plus some slab wood since I added the greenhouses. It takes a lot of heat to keep them warm with the wind. Still cheaper than oil or propane would be.

I've been tempted a couple of times to go that route. Central boiler is about the best you can get from my understanding . But as it is , I only heat the house (approx. 1900 sq. ft. ),and the furnace hasn't run in years other than to see if it's still there. So I stick with what's been working .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hot water can be used for a lot of applications. Mine melts my snow and heats my domestic water also. I had it heating the waterers in the barn when we kept critters year round. I have a coil in the air handler and pex under the basement slab and upstairs floors as well. If I want to sit around naked in 90 degree heat I can!:yum::yum: