• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

iPad/Netbook/tablets/touchpads... I'm confused.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
IPad is a great entertainment device, easily links to other Apple devices

Wanna print without a Mac? - forget it.

Lenovo has new Thinkpad and Ideapad models that are more independent and useful.

Um, I print from mine every day. There is a simple app that will print to any printer on your network.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm also thinking price wise. I know you get what you pay for but I don't exactly have the $7-800 they want up here for one.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have several business associates who have essentially given up on their laptops and now conduct business on their iPads. They can bid jobs, invoice, etc from their iPads?

I've been playing with my daughters iPad, she has first generation iPad and its pretty darn cool but I see a lot of advantages to the iPad2. The "new iPad" with the HD display and better camera just seems like an enhanced iPad2, but I'm not sure it brings added functions?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have several business associates who have essentially given up on their laptops and now conduct business on their iPads. They can bid jobs, invoice, etc from their iPads?

I've been playing with my daughters iPad, she has first generation iPad and its pretty darn cool but I see a lot of advantages to the iPad2. The "new iPad" with the HD display and better camera just seems like an enhanced iPad2, but I'm not sure it brings added functions?

You are right so many companies are using them and developing programs to use on them to better sell their products. We just ordered 6 of them for our sales staff and lead installers. We now have 13 Iphones for our tech's as they can look up wiring diagrams and other pertinent information about the equipment they are working on. Also a dispatching program is on them which interfaces with our server. We have eliminated about 20 phone calls a day to the office for each of them techs just due to that one software program.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just took a spin down to wally world and a couple other places. Was looking around at the different tablets they had. The ipad 2 seems nice and the price wasn't as bad as I originally was told. They had a few different models all under $500. The one thing I didn't like though was the lack of options to plug in different accesories. Who knows, maybe it's because you don't really need to with these things. I'm somewhat behind the times when it comes to the newest technology.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think most of our accessories for the iPads are all wireless. E.g. my daughter's external speakers and keyboard use bluetooth. I just asked and the kids said we never tried to hook up one of the network/wireless printers in the house so I don't know about printing.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I just took a spin down to wally world and a couple other places. Was looking around at the different tablets they had. The ipad 2 seems nice and the price wasn't as bad as I originally was told. They had a few different models all under $500. The one thing I didn't like though was the lack of options to plug in different accesories. Who knows, maybe it's because you don't really need to with these things. I'm somewhat behind the times when it comes to the newest technology.

The iPad 3 just came out. That may be why you are seeing discounts on them. I am thinking of buying a ipad2 off ebay from one of those folks that ditch their old perfectly good working ipad for the latest and greatest. Always frugal. :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
$419 for a 16GB Ipad II. $529 for the 32GB one. Of course they were out of stock and will have a shipment in on weds. Here's the thing though. They have an ASUS 32 GB eee pad transfromer for $449. What's the best deal? So confused.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
$419 for a 16GB Ipad II. $529 for the 32GB one. Of course they were out of stock and will have a shipment in on weds. Here's the thing though. They have an ASUS 32 GB eee pad transfromer for $449. What's the best deal? So confused.

I would go with the ipad.

If I were buying right now I would look at this one. Auction is expired but seller has over 1000 posts with 100% positive rating. Most likely reposting or make a deal.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well. I went with the Asus eee pad transformer. Found one on sale that came with the plug in keyboard which turns it into a notebook. I think itbwill do everything i want it to. My phone is android bAsed so only made sense to get a tablet i could sync with my phone

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Please follow up and let us know how it works out for you. We have an Asus eee netbook computer we bought about 3 years ago and their customer service is great. It needed repair under warranty and it was fixed in a timely manner with no problems. No complaints with Asus. Good luck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far so good. It comes with both forward and rear facing cameras. Ill be messing with it for a while learning what it can do. Ill reserve full judgment on it till I've had it for a bit

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So far so good. It comes with both forward and rear facing cameras. Ill be messing with it for a while learning what it can do. Ill reserve full judgment on it till I've had it for a bit

A good first impressions is half the battle. What are the MP of both cameras?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well. I went with the Asus eee pad transformer. Found one on sale that came with the plug in keyboard which turns it into a notebook. I think itbwill do everything i want it to. My phone is android bAsed so only made sense to get a tablet i could sync with my phone
I have not really looked at tablets either but I think you made a good choice, especially since you have a droid phone. The two will work together nicely. :thumb: Congrats ...and like TR requested, please give us a review with all the gory details once you've had it for awhile.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a MacBook Pro laptop, an iPad 2, and iPod touch and an iPhone 4s (just got the phone Sunday). Everyone sings the same song, and they do it in tune. I've been Mac Happy for almost 10 years.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...log=Online&category=Tablet-PC&product=2510909

there's the exact one i got. i love it so far. The detachable keyboard is what sold me on this one. The battery life is amazing. The tablet alone has roughly a 9 hr life The keyboard has its own battery which doubles the life of the battery. When you compare that to my laptop which only lasts about 3 hours, thats amazing. I went with the 16gb one. My plan is to use the laptop for pictures, music, and other storage. So i didn't need something with allot of memory.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
yep! I was impressed too with thefeatures if has. Actually, as far as external ports, I'm very impressed. The keyboard has 2 usb ports and a regular sd card slot. The tablet part has an hdmi and a micro sd slot.

As far as the build, it feels strong. It has a plastic casing with a textured finish so it doesn't slip out of your hands. It also has a metal ring around the edge of the screen to make it feel stronger. I compared it to several different models when I ws there shopping. Nothing wrong with the other ones but I liked the features of this one.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I went with the 16gb one. My plan is to use the laptop for pictures, music, and other storage. So i didn't need something with allot of memory.

I just downloaded a program called "Logmein" on my laptop and Iphone. When I get my Ipad next week I will put the program on it also. It allows you to take control of your desktop or home computer with your tablet as long as you have internet connections to both. Once I get my Ipad I don't see a reason to carry my larger 17" laptop anymore. I can just leave it at home and use it from where ever I am. The program is a free utility just make sure you get the free one and not the trial one.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to check that out. I also plan on leaving the 17" laptop at home from now on.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Groomer, I got a demo on your Asus at a local puter store yesterday. I was in looking to see what they had for old XP Pro desktops and spotted it on display. Really slick looking. I like it even better now. Had a chance to play with it a bit. Really nice. I love Android

Once you get up to speed, post your observations please. I am thinking of trading in the old asus netbook we have toward that bad boy for a birthday gift for my wife.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far, I'm still very happy with mine. Lots of apps I can download for it. Seems like a good choice for someone who wants the convinience of a laptop but also wants the versatility of a tablet. Only takes a second to remove the keyboard and use it as a tablet. Some of the new tabets can double as a cell phonecan. I don't believe this is one of them but I'm still learning it's features. I did download the skype app though and since I pay the monthly subsription for a skype number, I can now use it as a cell. Some of the tablets ony have forward facing cameras and some only rear facing. This one has both. From the reviews I've read, it's one of if not the best android tablet out there that compete head to head with the ipad2.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My IPad III arrived yesterday. Have not done much with it yet as I spent the day at a hospital. Not me but my wife's aunt.

So far though I really like it and the 4g speed is awesome. When I take control of my laptop it is as if I am using my laptop so pretty fast

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've got my eye on the upcoming Google Nexus tablet. Coming out in May. 7" screen so it should fit in my coat pocket. And, get this. Tegra quad core processor and a reported subsidized price of under $200! Turns out these are highly anticipated at an insane price point. :clap:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My IPad III arrived yesterday. Have not done much with it yet as I spent the day at a hospital. Not me but my wife's aunt.

So far though I really like it and the 4g speed is awesome. When I take control of my laptop it is as if I am using my laptop so pretty fast

How about an update on the IPad III.

Have you experienced the problem of dropping WIFI signals when you hold it horizontally and grip it around the "Home" button? I'm trying to figure out how widespread the problem is.

Thanks, Bob

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
How about an update on the IPad III.

Have you experienced the problem of dropping WIFI signals when you hold it horizontally and grip it around the "Home" button? I'm trying to figure out how widespread the problem is.

Thanks, Bob

I didn't know the problem existed so no. No troubles that I have noticed as of yet. I suppose now I will have issues. :yum: