• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Advice on a new TV

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we are looking for a new main tv for the living room. Our current 52 inch Magnavox is starting to lose picture clarity and the choices out there are a little overwhelming. We are looking for something in the 50-60 inch size. HD is a maybe as we would have to pay more to Direct tv for a HD signal and don't know if that is worth it. This tv runs almost continuous so it should be energy efficient as well. Anyone recently purchase one? I know there was a thread about this last fall but I cant find it using search.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I recently bought a smaller TV (32") and now I'm also looking to replace our rear projection 57" Sony TV. The prices on the smaller ones have sure come down. What was $529 last Christmas is now $370.

We used to have a 27" TV in the family room but now that we've had the 57" one for 9 years I can't imagine going smaller. Those big flat screens (52"+) are rather expensive.

The only advice I can offer up MuleMan is to definetly go HD. Soon I expect it will be the norm, and if they start giving it away with no extra charge you would want your TV to have that capability. HD is a big part of why I want to upgrade. Otherwise the TV picture is fine.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They make a big deal out of all the hdmi jacks but I really don't have anything to plug in to them. I hate giving up the full screen size but that is all they make anymore. I am thinking 120 hz as a good refresh rate but beyond that am pretty open and trying to read up on reviews. I am going to contact direct tv and see if my current boxes will work. the ones I saw at Sams club all had a big flat 4 wire cable on them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Direct TV receivers with HD will have a HDMI connection on the back. My 57" is HD capable but even with HDMI hooked up it leaves a lot to be desired for real HD. Seeing the new HD flat screens compared to my current 57" shows a HUGE difference in picture quality.
You can stretch all of the flat screen TV's to fill the screen, but it can distort the picture a tad. I've seen 4 and 5 wire cables but as I understand it HDMI cables are the way to go. The TV I just got had directions for the "Best" picture and listed the HDMI as the best. The 4 or 5 cable hook up was 2nd best, then the 3 cable standard RCA jacks and then coaxial cable. All work but HDMI gives the best quality picture.

You are right, 120Hz refresh is good. I would also make sure it was 1080p ..but if it is 120Hz refresh I think it will be 1080p by default.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife is looking at a Sony W series 52 inch for $1500. Anyone know anything about them?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Check these people out http://www.tigerdirect.com/ and sign up for the daily specials. I have gotten two from them over the last few years as well as a computer. Good prices and many of the email specials are also free shipping even on big screen TV. You might or might not save money depending on where you are and prices there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tiger Direct does have some good prices. I like the idea of having it delivered to my door instead of having to lug it to my car or truck, load it up and take it home.
The prices I saw on Tiger Direct looked better than what I saw at Sams club the last time I was there.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
As I said doc they have been around for a long time originally located in Hialeah Florida. Use to buy from them in their shop at the time. They also are pretty easy to deal with with exchanges and such if necessary from what I've heard. I've never gotten anything from them that didn't work as expected and sure no handling damage either. I got my 46" Toshiba flat screen a few years ago from them and a smaller flat screen for the bed room just this year replacing my older box type TV. I also have one of Computer kits used to build our camera system around as well as network access to it. I can view every inch of my property off site from any computer via the web. Really is a pretty effective system.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Quick TV primer (I am not claiming to be an expert, just what I've noticed)

Plasma - generally 40" is the smallest. Highest energy consumption. Best blacks, best motion, best viewing angles.

LCD - all sizes, medium energy consumption, cheaper than plasma, terrible viewing angle maximums, poor blacks, motion (as in sports) is terrible, though the 120hz ones offer advantages over 60hz

LED - newest rage. Uses LED as backlight instead of flourescent. Cheapest on energy. Similar limits as CD, but aledgedly blacks are better, contrast is better, and motion is better, but still not as good as Plasma. Most expensive currently.

FWIW - I just bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma at Best Buy for $899. It's a nice set. You can watch it up close or far away. I could have bought something less expensive, a 52" LCD at $599, but the overall viewing experience and quality is superior, at least as far as I am concerned.

At home, I have a 52" and a 42" plasma. Most of the people I "hang" with have LCDs. I don't watch tv at their houses much - seems to bother my eyes for some reason.

Hope this helps instead of confuses.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
One other note to add to what Fred said. If you get something in a smaller set and have Blu-ray and high def spend a little more an be sure to get one that is 1080 over the 720 it makes a difference with HD setups for sure. I have a small one in my bedroom but I spent the extra few bucks for one that would do 1080 as I also have a Blu Ray player connected to it as well as the one on my big screen. Both Blu Rays are Panasonic.

Gina

It looks like you've gotten some really good advice already, so I'll just give you a review of mine. I bought a Sony Bravia 52" LCD HD. I love it! Picture is awesome. Even without an additonal sound system, the speakers are great. It's easy to use as well, very intuitive.

I also have a window in direct opposition to it and the light DOES NOT wipe out the picture as it had with my old conventional TV.

I purchased it at Costo in mid-December. It's already dropped another $200 to $1,199.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for that input. I may go look at the one the wife saw at Best buy yesterday. It is a sony bravia w series 52" which is a pretty good set from what I have read online.

Gina

Thanks for that input. I may go look at the one the wife saw at Best buy yesterday. It is a sony bravia w series 52" which is a pretty good set from what I have read online.

I researched it on Consumer Reports. There were 3 TV's rated better, but they were outrageously expensive or plasma. FWIW :)

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My grand daughter and her husband have the Sony Bravia in 52" also and love it. I've seen it only once as they live else where but had a great picture when I saw it.

kitty

We have a panisonic 50 inch flat screen i love it has an awesome pic then we just bought a 32 inch samsung it has a really awesome pic too!!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't seen an LED yet, but would like to compare it to the others. They surely consume less power than the rest.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
How about picture life on Plasma vs LCD vs LED?

The original Plasmas are all probably about dead now. But for the last couple of years, the cheaper plasmas last as log as an LCD, and high end plasmas outlast the best LCDs.

I have no idea on LEDs, but the LED light source should outlast the plastic it is housed in.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a word or two on electronics and "specs".

Do NOT get hung up on numbers.

If you are shopping for a TV - but what your eyes like. If a 720 tv is good enough for you, great! You are a lucky one! Look at all the money you'll save.

If shopping for sound system, again, buy what your ears like.

Just like buying a pair of jeans - do you really care if there are 300 threads per inch or 400, so long as they fit and feel great?

And buy what your wallet likes - in a few years, something new and exciting will come out and you'll burn a hole in your pockets again.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't seen an LED yet, but would like to compare it to the others. They surely consume less power than the rest.

They are bright and sharp, but my eyes still sense the jerky motion. It is still Plasma for me. I'm buying a TV to watch, not save 50 bucks a year on electric. Heck, one night out to the movies and a stop at a local pub burns through 50 bucks with ease.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
:agree: with Fred if you don't have Blu Ray with no plans of it or HD and 720 looks good save some money. Also I would say get just a little larger than you think you will want if you can afford it. I bought my first 46" looking for a 36" and have never been sorry about getting the larger screen. Just keep in mind your viewing area. I have seen some guides on the internet on how to figure size for your room size as well as viewing locations. Sorry I never saved the site but I'm sure a Google search would turn up a bunch with the data.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Jeez Joec, we are agreeing on more and more stuff!:clap:
Fully agree on go up at least one size from what you think you want, unless it must fit in a certain spot.

I wish I would have bought bigger than 50" for our main tv. But, it will have to do for a couple of years.

We had the 42" as the main tv. No tv in the bedroom. Then we bought the 50 and I put the 42 in the bedroom. It looked out of place, but it sure is nice watching it.

Had a 5.0 surround system from years ago, but did not install it for the main room - it was too bulky and big and didn't fit the decor. Its a few watts a channel and have two large 1000 watt powered subs. That's in the bedroom. Who needs a vibrating bed!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We currently have a 52" Magnavox so I won't go any smaller. It is nice to be able to sit on the back porch and still see the TV in the living room. I am going to look at the Sony tomorrow and see what I think of it. The Magnavox has been on pretty much continuous for at least 12 years so no complaints there. The picture is not as sharp as it used to be and the light infiltration makes it hard to see during the day even with drapes closed.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Jeez Joec, we are agreeing on more and more stuff!:clap:
Fully agree on go up at least one size from what you think you want, unless it must fit in a certain spot.

I wish I would have bought bigger than 50" for our main tv. But, it will have to do for a couple of years.

We had the 42" as the main tv. No tv in the bedroom. Then we bought the 50 and I put the 42 in the bedroom. It looked out of place, but it sure is nice watching it.

Had a 5.0 surround system from years ago, but did not install it for the main room - it was too bulky and big and didn't fit the decor. Its a few watts a channel and have two large 1000 watt powered subs. That's in the bedroom. Who needs a vibrating bed!

I'm about deaf from my years in sheet metal so sound systems aren't a big item for me though many it is. I have one eye so the future 3D won't work either so HD is about as good as it gets. I also don't enjoy games so again not high on my list and beside it keep the grand kids home and not at my place. :smile:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
That's why I have to get way too big sound systems - I can't hear either. Well, I hear, but I am always saying what? But my problem is fluid in my inner ear. Doc says he can fix it by putting a vent in my ear drums. But along with that comes other issues, like, I'd have a hole in my head! Just think, I could be puffin a cigar and could blow smoke out my ears!

Or just keep buying more powerful sound systems.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I can hear at normal volumes but I'm completely deaf at certain sound ranges. I find what ever is built in works fine as far as quality goes. An example of what I mean by tones is a telephone, flat can't hear it ringing now my cell phone I can hear with a ring tone on it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well after a day of torture shopping at 3 different places we ended up getting a 55" Samsung LCD. Of course first I had to assemble the gazillion piece corner credenza that the wife wanted. There is a reason they offer assembly if you live close enough! Got that done and setup the TV and hooked up the new Direct TV box. Guess what. You also have to upgrade the dish outside to a 5 LNB from the 3 LNB we have used for 5 years. So no HD till Jan.29th when they come to put in a new dish. Still this thing has the best picture ever. I do not have the $50 4 ft. high hz cable on it till we get the new dish. Ended up playing with the Direct box to get the picture to full screen and I must say even with the drapes wide open and the sun streaming in the picture was still crystal clear. Bill Oreilly never looked better!:clap:

Attachments

• goldatron 039.jpg
    goldatron 039.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 72
  • goldatron 040.jpg
    goldatron 040.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 70

kitty

nice tv i really like our samsung....i wish i had a big one like that in my bedroom though!lol:(