• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dual display video card

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
Brian,

instant messaging? perhaps.

-Alex
He doesn't even have a working e-mail... Another thing on my list.
I don't have IM either. That's what this forum is for. Normally, I don't need instant.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OA,

It's midnight so I'm too tired to look it up but software may be needed.

"Dualview" is what XP is trying to tell me what to do. Unfortunately, what they're telling be to do on the PC doesn't work/exist.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
As long as you are using the correct inputs on the second monitor/screen etc, get a Matrox Marvel, or the Personal Cinema card, or the All in Wonder. All of these have dual monitor capabilities and will do cloning or extended desktop. We use them in our offices and work great.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK,

Doing some reading and found a tidbit on the realtimesoft.com FAQ that said that cloning is limited to a single video card.

That's probably why I can't get it to work (as I'm using 2 cards).

Now I'm taking the software approach.
The Matrox Marvel (aka DualHead2Go???) is pricy at $169.
The All-in-Wonder is $180+
Hydravision - Not going to work. It comes bundled with the ATI boards (but I don't need any boards.

Ultramon - The winner (I think...). I've downloaded it and will give it a go. If it works, he can buy it.

Thanks!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Brian,

Does your buddy have a AGP slot?
There was 1 but there's a modem in it.

I'm going to install that software on its 30-day trial and see what he thinks of it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell, I don't know Dave... :drink:

I've been programming (mainframe) computers for 20 years. I pay no attention to what's behind the curtain. :pat: :whistle:

There was 1 slot in there that was shorter than the rest. Looking at the mounting of the card BD posted, I would have guessed it would have gone in there. That card had 2 phone jacks on it... :confused:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
There was 1 slot in there that was shorter than the rest. Looking at the mounting of the card BD posted, I would have guessed it would have gone in there. That card had 2 phone jacks on it... :confused:

Probably an AMR slot. (Audio Modem Riser). They were around for a short time about 5 years ago.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Hell, I don't know Dave... :drink:

I've been programming (mainframe) computers for 20 years. I pay no attention to what's behind the curtain. :pat: :whistle:

How old is this machine Brian and is it AT or ATX? I can't for the life of me believe that PC doesn't have a AGP slot. It's a loner, usually brown in color beside the #1 PCI slot and set farther towards the center of the board than the PCI's. If that machine doesn't have it the motherboards gotta be old. Let me know if you need a hand......!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The machine is pretty new.
Running XP and looks like a new box (but it's reaaaallllllyyyyyy slow).
I might pull it apart again tomorrow and take a closer look at the inside. Hopefully catch a pic.

OregonAlex

Big Dog said:
How old is this machine Brian and is it AT or ATX? I can't for the life of me believe that PC doesn't have a AGP slot. It's a loner, usually brown in color beside the #1 PCI slot and set farther towards the center of the board than the PCI's. If that machine doesn't have it the motherboards gotta be old. Let me know if you need a hand......!

BigDog,

His machine does have AGP. it is run internally to his onboard/embedded video. Not so unusual. The fact that is has a AMR slot tells me it could be micro-ATX form factor MB and being a Micro-ATX who's goal was to be a small MB in the first place, putting in an AGP slot on board when you already have an AGP graphics controller on board goes against that goal.
Just my guess.

-Alex
Clueless Mac User

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
BigDog,

His machine does have AGP. it is run internally to his onboard/embedded video. Not so unusual. The fact that is has a AMR slot tells me it could be micro-ATX form factor MB and being a Micro-ATX who's goal was to be a small MB in the first place, putting in an AGP slot on board when you already have an AGP graphics controller on board goes against that goal.
Just my guess.

-Alex
Clueless Mac User

Wasn't thinking of on board video but you should be able to disable! Wouldn't do any good if you don't have a AGP slot though!

OregonAlex

Big Dog said:
Wasn't thinking of on board video but you should be able to disable! Wouldn't do any good if you don't have a AGP though!
Although AGP is based on PCI (..but clocking accuring on both rising and falling edge of the clock), the loading requirements of AGP don't allow for a shared bus architecture as it only allows for one device. Disabling the onboard AGP won't do you any good. It is essentialy point to point, not a shared bus. In order to do what you ask the North Bridge would have to have two AGP "buses" on it. Including the PCI bus.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
Although AGP is based on PCI (which clocking accuring on both rising and follwing edge of the clock), the loading requirements of AGP don't allow for a shared bus architecture as it only allows for one device. Disabling the onboard AGP won't do you any good. It is essentialy point to point, not a shared bus. In order to do what you ask the North Bridge would have to have two AGP "buses" on it. Including the PCI bus.

I'm out of my league now............but Alex could he get a split adapter?

OregonAlex

Big Dog said:
I'm out of my league now............but Alex could he get a split adapter?

yep.. sure that would be another possibility.. if he doesn't mind running his monitor at the same resolution and refresh rate as his projector's maximum capabilities.

this is where that software package has its strength. You can mirror yet run each video card at different resolutions and refresh rates.

OregonAlex

before you go out and buy that splitter..

just make sure you understand exactly what I said about running your main monitor at the same refresh rate and resolution as your max projector capabilities.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
before you go out and buy that splitter..

just make sure you understand exactly what I said about running your main monitor at the same refresh rate and resolution as your max projector capabilities.
If you're talking about the 600x800 at 60 hz, I currently have them both set the same with good results (although not 600x800). Is that what you mean?

BD,

Why couldn't I find that cable when I was looking for it????

OregonAlex

bczoom said:
If you're talking about the 600x800 at 60 hz, I currently have them both set the same with good results (although not 600x800). Is that what you mean?

BD,

Brian,

yep.. exactly.. If 800x600 and the flicker at 60hz is acceptable to your man then that cable is PERFECT!

As an added bonus you can yank the Video card out of there; freeing up your slot and returning it to its familiar resting spot. R.I.P.

OregonAlex

bczoom said:
What happens if I go up to 1024x768 (or whatever it is)

that would be a question for your projector manual.. most likely if the projector doesn't support it, will not sync up and you will not see anything. Some newer projects down sample the input. So you can feed a 1280x1024@75 Mhz signal to it and it will convert it down to something it can display.

switch your current computer monitor it to using 800x600 @ 60 hz. See how long you can stand it.

Some people have their computers set to 60 Hz all the time.. when I try to use their computer to do something I just cant stand it. It would drive me mad. wait... too late.:yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Anything below about 75hz kills me; especially if you look just to the side of the monitor.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:

BD,

I searched this........... VGA VIDEO SPLITTER

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I tried the software...

Got everything loaded and opened the main window to control mirroring and such and the window came up black... I could see the toolbar but there was absolutely nothing (but black) in the window itself.

I played around with all the other settings I could get to but still couldn't get it to work. :(

They have a forum so I may post a question there.

OregonAlex

Good luck Brian. Keep us posted.

btw.. I wanted to appologize to anyone here if I came across as a know it all computer jerk. Reading Big Dog's post to Gatorboy the other day made me think about how I was coming across on the computer electronics stuff on FF. This is not how I want to come across. I guess I am a little too passionate about technology and am too quick to respond with my OPINION about subjects that interest me. My opinions are obvious just that. Just opinions but I have a tendancy go a little over the top with my detailed responses. I am working on holding my tongue and keeping my opinions, short and sweet without being overbearing.. Sorry if I offended anyone.