• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Deep vain thrombosis (DVT)

daedong

This is something that worries me a little traveling to the USA. In a recent thread about the death of a neighbor the person had just returned from abroad.
About 2 years ago a local here pasted away after a return flight to the UK, he had suffered from DVT apparently. I just wonder if any other FF members know of any deaths or any other issues relating to long distance air travel?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, they sell socks that are made to help prevent this. Also, on the trans-pacific flights, the aircraft is quite large enough for you to literally "walk laps" around the aisles every couple hours. When I flew to China, I did two or three laps every two hours, and I had no legs cramps at all. You will start to see people just wandering about after about four hours into the flight. Even the captain and co-pilot will wander about, stretching their legs. The key is to just move a little, and not sit still for the entire 20 hours.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes Vin, DVT is something to be concerned about. It helps to get up out of your seat and move around or just stand up every once in a while.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes Vin, DVT is something to be concerned about. It helps to get up out of your seat and move around or just stand up every once in a while.
I'm worried about it whilst sitting here too long some nights :rolf2:

No.... seriously DaveNay is spot on in what he said.
I've always worn the socks on long haul flights AND got up and walked around a lot as well.
:thumb:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As someone who suffers from DVT, invest in the socks, and exercise your legs often during the flight. In addition to walking "laps" as someone said, you can move your feet around while sitting. Extent your foot and legs as far as you can, then relax them, then do it again. The idea is to keep the blood flowing freely to the legs, i.e., no restrictions. DVT is very serious, and you should take all precautions to avoid it.

Bob