• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How far can/do/will you drive in a day?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took a trip down to Florida last week and we drove. On the way down, I drove 1/2 of the distance as we didn't get started until after work.

On the way back, I drove straight through. 1,050 miles.

Many people think I'm nuts for driving that far in a day. It didn't bother me at all.

How far can/do/will you drive in a day?

PS. I averaged 65 mph for the distance and did it in a little under 16 hours. That's about the normal time. My record was 14 hours (and averaged 75 for the whole trip).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've driven to Florida several times, but always stop off in south Georgia, usually around the Macon area. Roughly 650 miles. Rather than push to get here in 1 straight run, we actually plan on specific stops along the way, while I tend to drive fast, we also take leisurely breaks.

Gatorboy

I've driven about 24 hours straight on two occasions. That was when I was a young whippersnapper.

Now, when I drive down to visit my parents in Florida, we leave about 4a and drive until about 4p. Get a hotel, good meal and take a swim, or walk before hitting the sack. We then get back on the road at 6a, arriving around 11a refreshed. I no longer see the point in driving straight through, arriving late and ready for bed.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
We have driven to Florida at least ten times, most of them in the last eight years. The best time was about 41 hours, on that trip we stopped for about five hours in Atlanta to visit some friends and that time is included in the 41 hours. Also in that time period is a stop for a short nap.

It is about 2050 miles from our home here to down there. My best mileage in a twenty four hour period is about 1400 miles.

I normally do all of the driving.

Must be getting old as we spent three nights in a motel on the way down the last two years and two nights in a motel on the way home. Part of this is due to stopping to visit the daughter on the way down.

This year, I did do a twenty two hour stretch with a little under 1200 miles as I am starting to slow down with the pickup and the high gas prices.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Just last Sept I drove 22 hrs straight through from fishing in Canada to Illinois.

About 10 years ago my cousin and I drove non-stop from Chicago to College Station TX, loaded up a van full of crap and turned around and came home. That was back to back 25 hrs between two of us. We were quite delirious near the end.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
On the way back, I drove straight through. 1,050 miles.

My brother in law did that, drove straight back here to Delphos from Orlando 2 years ago.

He was almost dead by the time they got home :bonk:

The farthest I go these days is Cuyahoga Falls, to see my oldest son Jeff and the family.
Takes about 3 hrs depending on if I take 224 or opt to jump on the turnpike.

American Woman

Site Supporter
The only traveling I do is from here in Central Florida to s.Georgia, and I used to do it in about 6 or 7 hours. That was before the small kids and doing it on my own most of the time. Now I drive about 7 hours and stop in Valdosta for a break over night and then go west a couple of hours the next morning. Florida is such a long state. It takes forever to get out of it!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The only traveling I do is from here in Central Florida to s.Georgia, and I used to do it in about 6 or 7 hours. That was before the small kids and doing it on my own most of the time. Now I drive about 7 hours and stop in Valdosta for a break over night and then go west a couple of hours the next morning. Florida is such a long state. It takes forever to get out of it!
Yeah!! Steve and I flew from England to destination Panama City back in '01.
We then drove to Fort Lauderdale to see my cousin.
Seemed to take forever to get back to Panama City lol

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I went from Vancouver,BC to Daytona FL in 4.5 Days - had to take the Oregon and California coast due to a snow storm inland.

I went from Orlando to Portland, OR in 3.5 days.

After 9/11 me and two others went from Chicago to Portland in about a day and a half.

I think the Orlando to Portland was the most "non-stop" driving. A couple of pitstops for some cat naps. Lots of Coffee, cola, and mountain dew!:w00t:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I did 1800 once, ABQ to BOS in about a day and a half. These days, on occasion I'll do 1200. But I consider 900 to be a nice days drive. But, no matter what, if I feel the tiniest bit drowsy, that's it. I pull over where ever I am for at least a 15min nap. The 'second wind' you can get from a 15min nap is amazing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I did 1800 once, ABQ to BOS in about a day and a half. These days, on occasion I'll do 1200. But I consider 900 to be a nice days drive. But, no matter what, if I feel the tiniest bit drowsy, that's it. I pull over where ever I am for at least a 15min nap. The 'second wind' you can get from a 15min nap is amazing.
I'll give you that second wind, baby:brows:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You two need a garage.....again!

I like to keep it around 900 miles when towing my snowcat in snowy icy conditions. If it just me in my truck no trailer then 1500miles is about as far as I would want to go.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've driven from KC to Phoenix in one go, Topeka to Philly, Topeka to Macon, Ga a couple of times, etc.... if it's just me in the truck I can get farther faster than if the wife is with me for some reason....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Daytona Beach Florida is about a 16 hour drive. 1000 miles. I can do it in a day easy. Last time we were down there I had the bright idea of staying for the day and leaving at 3pm to stretch our time there. Very bad idea. I've driven over night before, but as I've got older it's a bit harder drive on me. Normally I do all the driving but on that particular trip I had to turn over the wheel at 5am.
As long as we are not rushed I like stopping in Georgia for a overnight stay and finish the trip up the next morning. Last time we stayed in Savannah; that was out of the way but worth it.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I drive 800 miles in one day from MS to KS several times per year. I guess I’ve never had a reason to try and drive any farther than that.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I really don't like driving more than 4-500 miles. A little over a year ago, I flew to Florida the buy a truck and drove it home. From the Florida Panhandle we went "halfway" to Nashville and spent the night. Came home the next day. About 6-7 hours each leg. I travel to St. Louis on occasion and I guess it's an 8 hour drive, but I fly and have them get me at the airport.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I've driven from KC to Phoenix in one go, Topeka to Philly, Topeka to Macon, Ga a couple of times, etc.... if it's just me in the truck I can get farther faster than if the wife is with me for some reason....

Is that due to a lot of pit stops with the wife along? That is my problem also.

On one of our trips to Florida, we only stopped for gas twice, she did not appreciate that on a 2050 mile trip.:ermm:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
;)
got it on the first guess!

I think my personal land speed record was Newcastle, Pa to Wamego, ks in under 13 hours. (about 45 miles n of Pittsburg to a shade over 100 miles west of KC - Sunday afternoon traffic on the beltway around Indiannapolis was, um, invigorating...)

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
;)
got it on the first guess!

I think my personal land speed record was Newcastle, Pa to Wamego, ks in under 13 hours. (about 45 miles n of Pittsburg to a shade over 100 miles west of KC - Sunday afternoon traffic on the beltway around Indiannapolis was, um, invigorating...)

Um. Wow.

My truck driver days were fun. I drove from Ashburn, GA to Neosho, MO straight through once. Stopped for 45 min in AL where I PLANNED to sleep, but found out otherwise.... Two injectors were out on the truck too. I have run many a night for 24 to 36 hrs straight in the oilfield getting 15 min catnaps while I was loading and unloading.

RedRocker

I did Laramie WY to Lewisville TX on my bike in one sitting.
Done Moab to Lewisville straight through in a truck towing a Jeep.