• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 broken down

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Roughwoods called me 6:30 PM AK time...he is broke down about 65 miles out. I'm going to run out and get him but wanted some input.
Here's the deal...
Imp runs
Put into gear, let out clutch...nothing
Put into gear, let out clutch, pull on left lever, left track spins
Put into gear, let out clutch, pull on right lever, nothing spins

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Great, I just flew out to fix a tugboat in Seward. He was doing OK when I left for the Airport this morning....

Can't be of any help...that sucks... He is about twenty miles past his cabin, but he did take a Skidoo Citation that is strapped onto the back of the IMP so he can run back and forth to the cabin with no real issues... But that still sucks...

Hope that Alaska120 can help him out, my IMP is a wide track so I can loan him the parts off of it to get him back either...

IMP

Site Supporter
I have a 1404 wide track spare axle in my shop... But it doesn't sound like it will fit a narrow track.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I have a 1404 wide track spare axle in my shop... But it doesn't sound like it will fit a narrow track.

It won't, it is about four inches or so too long... seemed to me he had the five bolt hub too...

IMP

Site Supporter
Tim at remote access has one in stock now for $630. He had them made out of material that is way stronger than original so he says. that was for a standard track 5 bolt hub. Call him 916/764 4619. I will keep calling as my time allows and stay in touch this way.

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for all the help...
I'll try calling myself to see what they have.
Looking at the book it doesn't seem to be too bad a fix...just going to have to dig a tunnel to get to it.
I'll try to take some pic's if I think of it and the weather cooperates. Supposed to be -35 tonight and the wind is 25 kts right now...:fr2:

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Ouch!
Well, still better than leaving the Imp out in the woods.
Guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I'll pass on the information to Larry...
Can anyone think of what else we'll need to do the repair?
Seals, gaskets, fluids, bearings etc...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Ouch!
Well, still better than leaving the Imp out in the woods.
Guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I'll pass on the information to Larry...
Can anyone think of what else we'll need to do the repair?
Seals, gaskets, fluids, bearings etc...

Come-a-long for his track
Bottle jack
planks to put the jack on and cribbing
snow shovel to clean out around track area
silicone for gaskets
9 Qts 50W Shell Aviation 100 oil for Drive axle
Drain pan
Magnet for fishing splintered axle "Slivers" out of pan
Basic hand tools
Torpedo heater with generator is optional, but nice heat source at sub zero temps
Seal for outside axle hub
Tarp to trap heat
Hammer

Thermos full of hot coffee...

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
How about another cat just like it with some sort of trailer to tow it back to a heated shop. Or if you built some sort of sled for the disabled side, the other side should free wheel and you might be able to make good time on the tow back.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
How about another cat just like it with some sort of trailer to tow it back to a heated shop. Or if you built some sort of sled for the disabled side, the other side should free wheel and you might be able to make good time on the tow back.

Well if he broke down where he said he did, it is about a 60 to 80 mile tow back to town where there is a heated shop (real wilderness). Could be easier to repair it there or even pull the rear axle out and fix it in town and reinstall it on the machine.

If he doesn't have done before I get back from rebuilding a tugboat engine, I will be out there helping him when I get back home.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I realize that it is a long way out. I was looking at it from the angle

what if you get out there with all the stuff, tear it open, and find out it is actually something else?

I am sure you will do fine with it. Good luck. If I wasn't so far away, I would be there shoveling snow with you. Let us know how it comes out. :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hope all is well. Any updates? Nothing worse than being broke down far from home. Keep us posted.

Roughwoods and his wife took a much needed vacation, they will be back at it in a few days and will tackle it then. I will be out by there this next weekend (15 & 16th) doing some clearing with the dozer, but will still be about twenty six miles short of where it broke down. Been looking around in Anchorage at some of the old haunts that sold that type of stuff in the event that I could find a cheap dusty axle in a box somewhere. No luck so far, but still a few more days time to look around... never know!