• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Question

Deerlope

I am not sure where this ? belongs so I willl ask it here. What are the pros and cons as to 2 tracks or 4 tracks where snowcats are concerned.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
4 tracks generally give a slightly smoother rise. The upper tracks can maintain contact with the snow when cresting a drift or hill giving better traction and floatation. Two tracks can make tighter turns. Two tracks also tend to have a lower center of gravity.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
:pat: :pat: Oh no! Not this debate again. I posted the same question on Koz's site last year and man, what a pissin match that started. I operate both kinds of machines. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The two track turns much quicker but I find it gets stuck much easier. The four track does require allot of room to turn around but I prefer it to the two track setup in the deep stuff. One thing to consider....I ripped a track on the two track machine last season and had to leave the machine on the side of the trail. A couple weeks later, I tore a track on the four track machine and was still able to get it home on the other three tracks. The four track setup will climb allot better than the two track when pulling a load in the deep stuff too.

Deerlope

I did not ask this question to start a pissing match. I asked because I don't know. So thanks for some good positive feedback.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Like I said, they both have advantages and disadvantages. It's all in what you like and what your needs are in a machine.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not ask this question to start a pissing match.
Let me start the pissing match :thumb:

Obviously 2 tracks are better because that is the only configuration that Activ Snow Tracs and Snow Masters were available in and that design has yet to be surpassed by any machine ever! Oh, and it is what I own and everyone knows that I am right all the time :beer:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
How about the maintenance angle? Wouldn't a two track have half (or less) as many moving parts, so less to break?

All tracked vehicle are maintenance hogs, IMO. This should be a consideration.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes and no...................on the two tracked machines with the hydrostatic drives, repairs can get very costly. The one I run is a 1994 model and it underwent $46,000 in repairs to the drive system. We bought a 2002 4 track machine around three years ago with very low hours for half of what we paid in repairs on the older one.