• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New laptop

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bit the bullet and ordered a Dell.
I was able to get a sizeable discount that made their price hundreds less than anywhere else.
I went with a max'd out Inspiron 1705. 2 physical duo processors (so it's like a 4 processor machine!!). 2 gigs of memory, 160 gig drive and a few other goodies. Priced at 1615 after discount, 1720 with tax. Regular price was over 2100 before tax.
More than I had planned, but I don't buy laptops very often.
Shipping date isn't until Jan 5th, so now I'm in wait mode.

HGM

Doc said:
I was able to get a sizeable discount that made their price hundreds less than anywhere else.
I went with a max'd out Inspiron 1705. 2 physical duo processors (so it's like a 4 processor machine!!). 2 gigs of memory, 160 gig drive and a few other goodies. Priced at 1615 after discount, 1720 with tax. Regular price was over 2100 before tax.

WOW!!
Thats a heck of a jump from that Acer:yum: ..

I have had good luck with my Dell for work, I dont believe you'll regret it a bit:thumb: ..

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:

My experience with shipping dates is you can throw it out the window! I bet you'll have it well before 1/5 .................. :D

Congratz and you went overboard, I should a never turned you on to it!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, your right BD. Overboard for sure. :D (grining ear to ear!)
Thanks Bud!!!!!! :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I upgraded to XP professional so that I would get the Vista Business upgrade for no additional charge. That was a $135 dollar upgrade by itself. :eek:

jwstewar

Well, I finally convinced the CEO & CFO that it was time for a laptop. Since I didn't get that one for $199 from MicroCenter, I've been watching for other low priced units. Found one for $350 at Radio Shack that pretty much had everything - except for in stock. Pretty much none any where. So I kept watching. I'm partial to Toshibas, (I've had 4 of them and I know at one point they had something like 80% of the market, but I know that isn't true anymore) so I've been watching for one of those. I wanted something with XP for now with an upgrade to Vista. So I've been watching the typical places. Unfortunately with Vista being so close, inventories aren't being replenished. I finally found this one ToshibaT550Core2Duo. It had been $1099. They then marked it down to $899 + another $100 mail-in rebate. They are now including a Canon printer/scanner all-in-one for free after rebate and CA Internet Security (I've been using this for the last 2 or 3 years and like it) for free with it - and it can be loaded on 3 PCs (guess how many computers we have - 3:applause: ) I didn't feel like driving to Columbus today, so I'm going to pick it up on my lunch tomorrow. I'll be having fun tomorrow night.:D :a1: Circuit City is even picking up the cost of postage for the Vista upgrade.:cool2:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats! Sounds like a good deal. I'm pretty happy with my new Dell. ...but I do have a question for other Dell owners. My older dell laptop would come back alive if I closed the lid (it went to standby I suppose) when I opened it and hit the power button it would wake up. My new one will not do this. the little lights are on, indicating power, but no matter what I cannot wake it up. So I hit the power button and shut it all the way off. Then I have to power back on. :eek: I've tried all kinds of key combinations to awake the machine but I evidently have not found the right combination.

Does anyone know the magic foruma for waking these things back up?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc said:
My older dell laptop would come back alive if I closed the lid (it went to standby I suppose) when I opened it and hit the power button it would wake up. My new one will not do this. the little lights are on, indicating power, but no matter what I cannot wake it up. So I hit the power button and shut it all the way off. Then I have to power back on. :eek:

Does anyone know the magic foruma for waking these things back up?

Doc,

I have a Dell Enspiron 5100 about 4 years old. It is the same way. If I set it to standby I have to shut it down and then turn it back on. I have just learned to not use the standby cause sometimes it is a pain in the arse to get back running.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point Murph. I called it standby, but I have mine set for power to always be on. After opening the lid there is just no way I've found to awake the system.

If I leave the lid open, it recovers as expected when I move the mouse or hit a key.

Kwiens

Doc,

My Dell Laltituce goes into stanby mode when I close it. I open it an briefly push the power button. I then have to logon again.

Kevin

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried the space bar and all the F keys as well as ctl alt enter, and other random combinations no luck yet. Thinking more about it, the key combo might be set in bios. The next time I reboot I'll go into bios and see if the secret code is revealed there.
Kwiens, that is exactly how my old one was set up. However if I try that on this new one it shuts it down! :eek:
Thanks MB & Kwiens.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is in a docking station right now so I can't look but believe there's settings when you use the blue function's on the keyboard.