• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apple Computers switching to Intel chips

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 15" MacBookPro is actually noticably thinner than the smaller 12" PowerBook and while I don't know the actual weight, I'd say they are pretty similar. Roughly 4 pounds?

The MacBookPro has some interesting features like an illuminated keyboard that dims in bright light but glows with greater intensity as the surrounding room darkens. That will make it much easier to use on late night & overnight flights! It also has a built in video conferencing camera & microphone, which will come in handy from time to time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just an update on the issue of screen brightness. . . their advertising claims the new screen is 67% brighter than their old 15" screen. I don't know how the old 15" screen compares to my old 12" screen, but I can tell you my new screen is bright enough to light up a room when set at full brightness!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I've been playing with the new MacBookPro for a few days now and can add one new thing about this laptop: Damn this thing is FAST!

I was converting jpeg images into pdf files yesterday and was simply astounded by the speed. The file conversions typically involved selecting 20 to 50 images, each image was a 300dpi scan, of letter sized piece of paper so the pixel size was roughly 2550 wide by 3300 tall, file sizes ranged between 1.5MB and 4MB. The computer would covert all of the images from jpg to pdf format(remember these were bulk grabs of 20 to 50 pages) in roughly a minute, it would take about one more minute to bundle all of the individual pdf files into one large pdf document, rename it, and save it. While all this was happening, I had my web browser running and my email (which automatically grabs new email every 60 seconds) open and running. The two programs I was actively using to manipulate the files were Adobe Photoshop (a huge memory hog) and Adobe Acrobat (also a memory hog).

dyt4000

I've got the new iMac Duo Core and it's a blast! I'm probably gonna get the wife a MacBook Pro when her current laptop dies.

dyt4000

I'm coming from a Dell 4550 which is a 2.4ghz Pentium 4. Her laptop is a HP something or another...suppose to be about as fast as my Dell...but it's not.

OregonAlex

dyt,

so I guess you are not going back to a PC anytime soon?
In a few weeks, you will become a Mac zealot and will wonder why has taken you this long to switch. All the people that I know that have switched are still scratching their heads wondering why they used a PC for so long.

Congrads. I am jealous of your new toy ... ah hem.. I mean .. computer. Let me know when you decide to install Windows XP on that thing. ha ha.

btw... are the new Intel iMac completely quiet?? Other then the hard drive. I mean.. you can't hear a CPU or power supply fan.. right? Its amazing the difference after using a desktop PC for so many years and going to a silent Desktop. You think it should be making more noise then it does and when you go back to a Desktop PC again, the humm.. really starts to bug you.

I assume the CPU fan kicks in only when you are running something really CPU intensive for a long time... like ripping. right?

dyt4000

OregonAlex said:
dyt,

so I guess you are not going back to a PC anytime soon?
In a few weeks, you will become a Mac zealot and will wonder why has taken you this long to switch. All the people that I know that have switched are still scratching their heads wondering why they used a PC for so long.

Congrads. I am jealous of your new toy ... ah hem.. I mean .. computer. Let me know when you decide to install Windows XP on that thing. ha ha.

btw... are the new Intel iMac completely quiet?? Other then the hard drive. I mean.. you can't hear a CPU or power supply fan.. right? Its amazing the difference after using a desktop PC for so many years and going to a silent Desktop. You think it should be making more noise then it does and when you go back to a Desktop PC again, the humm.. really starts to bug you.

I assume the CPU fan kicks in only when you are running something really CPU intensive for a long time... like ripping. right?
Actually, I kept the Dell just for game playing. So far, the only time I hear the fans is on initial boot up. Other than that, quiet as a church mouse! Here is a picture of my "station"....

100_1522a.jpg