• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Technology Sector

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took one of my 403B plans and put it 100% into technology. Over the past 10 years, it's been pretty volatile but it does have some periods of incredibly strong performance.

Here's how they're looking, YTD as of today

Computers 76%
Electronics 69%
Software 55%

I have some other 401K's that are running pretty flat. I'm thinking of moving them. Technology is looking strong right now but for diversification (as sector portfolios go), I'm thinking of Energy or Telecommunications.

Anyone have any thoughts on some other sectors? (Finance, Healthcare, Utilities...).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My personal opinion is that the whole market is inflated and over valued. I'm waiting for a pullback, possibly of a couple thousand points. I can't see any strong fundamentals to justify the current levels.

That said, there will always be opportunities in individual stocks if you can find the right ones.

For mutual funds and ETFs those that are doing well and probably will reasonably weather a storm are the Emerging Markets.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I dunno Bob :unsure:. The market just flushed itself about 7000 points or so and has finally bounced back to 10,000. Thats a long ways from its high a few years ago . I can't see it dipping back 2000 points . The main damage is already done ,but again thats only my opinion .
Energy is big and its only going to become bigger . We are on the front edge of some incredible new discoverys coming out that should radically change the whole Energy picture in the next 2 -3 years . I will be investing "Long term heavy" into those . I'll post it here as I get more information .It could be a hella ride !

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I won't disagree wholeheartedly with your comments but I am not as optimistic as you are and I honestly believe that we could go back down below 9000 just as easily as we could go up to 11,500

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't see us heading anywhere near the 11,500 range for a long time . I think the market overall is going to be very cautious for quite a while . Sure would hate to see it dropback to 9000 . That might start this whole thing over again :unsure:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
but I am not as optimistic as you are

Bob , I have to be optimistic ! I am old and worn out and have nothing else to hope for wheres you are young and in the prime of your life . As long as us old farts buy cigarettes and cigars from you , you are going to do great .
You know I been thinking about something ..... You went from selling candy to selling cigars and tobacco as we get older .Is your next move as we get older to take over the market in senior health care nursing homes and funeral homes ??
Sortta like a "Cradle to Grave" on going business ???????:shifty:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...I think the market overall is going to be very cautious for quite a while . Sure would hate to see it dropback to 9000 . That might start this whole thing over again :unsure:
I keep looking at some of the biggest investors and many seem to be going into BEARISH investments of basics. George Soros is deep in GOLD and in Agriculture (Potash and Monsanto).

Nobody can argue with what the heck is going on in the Gold and Silver markets as both have been solidly advancing with no sign of a real retreat.

Berkshire Hathoway just bought a railroad and that again seems like a very bearish play if you examine it.

I'm sorry to say but I am NOT optimistic about the market. At best I think it will move sideways. It would not surprise me if it drops to 9000, and I almost expect it to do that. Too many people are optimistic, too many people are betting on a "V" shaped recovery and I simply do not see that coming. If it does not turn into a "V" shaped economic recovery that many expect/hope, then I believe they will panic and we may be looking up and hoping to see 9000 from something beneath that.

Perhaps I am to pessimistic right now but I'm digging in for defense and so far that type of investing seems to be growing my assets, perhaps without any glamor. Sure a big hit in some stock is exciting, I don't think its unreasonable to find such a gem. I don't, however, think that most will find gems. JMO

You went from selling candy to selling cigars and tobacco as we get older .Is your next move as we get older to take over the market in senior health care nursing homes and funeral homes ??
Sortta like a "Cradle to Grave" on going business ???????:shifty:
There is a coffin/casket store next door to one of my cigar shops. I'm thinking of doing a "coupon exchange" with their customers!