• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Benchtop Drill Press - opinions please!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Well I'm guessing it is a floor unit. 2 reasons: We are talking about Dargo! -and- it is a 3/4 hp unit, that implies it is a larger capacity, probably at least 15" and those are typically floor units.
Since the Craftsman 10" bench model is 2/3 hp, I wouldn't be surprised if the older one was 3/4 hp and still a bench model.

My bad on not considering the Dargo factor. You're probably right. :whistle:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It's attached to a steel bench right now. It could be a floor model for a midget maybe. I just didn't want to tear up a really nice older Craftsman drill press by trying to have it do work that it wasn't designed to do. It's every bit as nice as my new Hitachi, but just has a smaller motor. Also, the Hitachi I bought is a floor model.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I am having some SERIOUS BUYERS REMORSE and it is totally irrational.

Yesterday I bought the Ryobi 10" drill press, but I never even took it out of the back of the truck. I think I really like the 12" Ryobi press and and 10" Craftsman press. The Craftsman was out of stock which is why I didn't buy it. The 12" Ryobi is simply not anything I need, and it costs $50 more, it has many of the features that the Craftsman 10" press had. Both are nicer presses than the 10" Ryobi press by a long shot.

I think I will be taking the 10" Ryobi press back today -- yet it has everything I need. I wonder when the Craftsman press will be in stock? Or if I will pony up the extra bucks for the 12" Ryobi?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
$10 says you'll wind up with the Ryobi! Remember the Mig welder thread of mine? You need to take some of your own advice Mister!!:pat::tiphat::beer::yum:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Re: Bench-top Drill Press - opinions please!

Just spend the extra money, because if you don't spend it the Lovely Mrs_Bob will spend it for you on something for herself. At this point in your life, you might as well realize that you can't take it with you, and that you aren't going to live forever, so start spending your kids inheritance and the widows also........ :thumb: :whistle: :yum: :applause:

humor_me

B_Skurka said:
...It is in stock at the Lowe's store down the road (I hate shopping there because it is on the wrong side of the road)

GEEEEEEZ Bob,
That comment sounds like my mom.
Don't make me say it - , but -- oh what the H -
Bob,that sounds a bit like a :poke: girlieman talking.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my feelings about 'the left' are well established and the only time I go past that store when it is open requires me to turn left . . . so I just can't do it.

Actually I have shopped that store a few times and it is very rare that I leave Lowes with what I went in for, or even with anything. Of all the box stores, it seems to be the most frustrating store for me to shop because they usually don't have what I want, or they don't have someone who knows how to help me, or they don't know if they even have something and I am bothering them if I ask. So I simply am dissatisfied when I shop there and choose not to go there unless everyone else is out of stock and it is the only place I have not visited yet.

What cracks me up about Lowes is when I am leaving. They have a 'greeter' at the exit to make sure people don't leave without paying.

I've walked out of that store a few times with NOTHING in my hands and each time the greeter has asked me "did you find everything you need?"
Uh? Yes I did. I hid it under my coat so I didn't have to pay! You moron, can't you see I am empty handed!?! If you had what I wanted I would have purchased it and I wouldn't be leaving empty handed - AGAIN!!! :wtf:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think it is the local store management more than the chain. I frequent different HD and Lowes stores in my area. They are all different. In general the Lowes stores are a little better on the Customer Service and inventory then the Home Depots are. Although, I just got a new Home Depot near me that is pretty good but that may just be because it is all new.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
B_Skurka said:
Well I am having some SERIOUS BUYERS REMORSE and it is totally irrational.

Yesterday I bought the Ryobi 10" drill press, but I never even took it out of the back of the truck. I think I really like the 12" Ryobi press and and 10" Craftsman press. The Craftsman was out of stock which is why I didn't buy it. The 12" Ryobi is simply not anything I need, and it costs $50 more, it has many of the features that the Craftsman 10" press had. Both are nicer presses than the 10" Ryobi press by a long shot.

I think I will be taking the 10" Ryobi press back today -- yet it has everything I need. I wonder when the Craftsman press will be in stock? Or if I will pony up the extra bucks for the 12" Ryobi?
Bob.......Just UPS me the ryobi & I'll mail you the $50 Sears gift certificate that I've got hanging on my fridge since x-mas that I haven't used yet. it's good till 12/2006, so you will have lots of time to keep changing your mind ! :pat: :pat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom, as I want to use the drill this weekend you offer won't work well for me. Besides, I just traded in the 10" for the 12" Ryobi press, and since I was in a shopping mood I picked up some other stuff that fell into the cart while I was going down the aisles.

They did have a great looking floor standing Rigid Drill Press but I just kept walking by mumbling to myself over and over "I am not Dargo, I am not Dargo, I am not . . "

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
By the Kioti one, all the rest are lightweight crap. Atleast the Kioti one comes with a 5 year warrenty and weighs more. :eek: :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
They did have a great looking floor standing Rigid Drill Press but I just kept walking by mumbling to myself over and over "I am not Dargo, I am not Dargo, I am not . . "
Besides, if you bought the stuff Dargo does, how could you possibly get 2 or more? :confused: :yum:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I just traded in the 10" for the 12" Ryobi press, and since I was in a shopping mood I picked up some other stuff that fell into the cart while I was going down the aisles.

The 12" sounds like a good choice! :thumb:

Ain't it funny how stuff just falls in the cart at hardware stores?!:D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm sitting in the living room with my dog, the bigscreen TV showing the Olympic games, and my new drill press. No need to assemble it out in the garage when I can chase the family away and build it in the comfort of the carpeted living room while watching the winter games.

Just don't tell the lovely Mrs_B that my dog is sleeping on her new couch!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
Just don't tell the lovely Mrs_B that my dog is sleeping on her new couch!

If it is on her new couch, then it must be her dog, because your dog is better behaved.... right?????? Just like mine..... :whistle:

Attachments

• MVC-889F.JPG
    MVC-889F.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 35

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Tom, as I want to use the drill this weekend you offer won't work well for me. Besides, I just traded in the 10" for the 12" Ryobi press, and since I was in a shopping mood I picked up some other stuff that fell into the cart while I was going down the aisles.

I knew it!! Bob, I accept checks and money orders only!!:poke::thumb::tiphat::beer:

DAP

Skurks ... you should have definetly gone the Shopsmith route. Can drill press vertically or horizontally.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
Skurks ... you should have definetly gone the Shopsmith route. Can drill press vertically or horizontally.
Yeah maybe, but I already have a table saw, a router table, compound miter saw, a meat grinder and a sausage stuffer. I only needed the drill press.