• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help! How do you

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
tell a neighbor who is a friend that he just created a royal *ucking mess at my house that is so bad that I don't have a clue how to even begin cleaning it up? I'm sure several of you have heard me talk about a neighbor who is a good guy, but could absolutely tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. Anyway, after spending hundreds and hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars putting in our concrete driveway, my neighbor drove back to drop off his son to play with my son with his worst POS Ford P/U with a PowerStroke that just pours crude oil out the bottom. I have these huge coal black nasty splatters all the way down my driveway every couple of feet or so. They are so bad that you can tell which direction he was going by each drop. When he stopped to let his son out, he left a puddle (yes, puddle) about the size of a softball in just a few seconds!

I don't want to create a huge spat with a friend, but I want to make sure that he doesn't *uck me over worse and drive his POS truck back here again! They have other vehicles and, contrary to what you'd think, are worth millions. They just opt to live like back woods hillbillies in their 8000 sq. ft. house. And, just in case you're wondering, I have indeed seen a goat walking across a hardwood floor and out a marble foyer. So, I'm thinking that since they just destroy their own stuff, they don't understand that I doin't want my new concrete driveway covered with coal black tar. If you can imagine, I honestly doubt that he's changed the oil in that truck in 50k miles. I'm fairly certain that he just adds a couple quarts a day.

So, I ask, what do I do????? :smileywac

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You suck it up. It's a driveway. It's gonna get oil on it.

Any attempts to whine about it will result in him thinking you are a princess.

Just my thoughts - not that I think you are a princess . . . I understand that your driveway honeymoon isn't over yet. :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Next time you see him, I'd just say something like "Hey, if you don't mind, please don't drive your truck over to my place. It's leaking a lot of oil and since my driveway isn't yet sealed, it's going to cause me some issues since when I do apply the sealer, it won't stick to oily areas".

I have similar issues but it's my grass. Whenever someone comes over, they're driving an ATV or Rhino or something. When they exit my place in a particular area that's grassy, they tear it up. I just asked they don't go out that way until the conditions are dry and the grass has a chance to grow back. They had no issue with my request.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a new concrete drive put in last fall. My son's girl friends old car had a leak. She and my son were very conscientious and would put cardboard under the car trying to keep the mess to a minimum. I used cat liter to soak up the oil and swept it with a broom. That helped a lot.
Since the concrete was new I was amazed at how much rubber my ATV's and tractor would leave on the concrete. Even my cars would leave marks when you would back and turn. Every little thing seems to mark it up. After a while all the marks blend together ....so you won't notice them as much.

Brian's advice on how to mention it to the neighbor sounded reasonable.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You suck it up. It's a driveway. It's gonna get oil on it.

Honestly, I would think the same thing except for the unreal amount of crude this thing pours out. This isn't like any "leaker" you can imagine. I think my earlier estimate of adding a couple quarts a day is likely short by about half. Based on the amount of black crude lost in a quarter of a mile, he has to be dropping about a gallon a day of normal driving.

It's going to get oil on it, but it shouldn't look like one of those trucks that oil the surface just before asphault is laid just covered it. You've seen the trucks that have the sprayer on the back that puts down the black oil/tar stuff right before the paving machine, haven't you? That's about what I'm talking about, but with just one spray nozzle working.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, the other suggestions are all nice and friendly but from the sounds of this neighbor (he's the snot sucker - right?) - yer screwed.

Get a gate and don't give him the code to get in. Make him drop the kids off and walk. ;)

working woman

Site Supporter
Personally, I would play dumb. The next time he comes over I would ask him, did you know your truck is leaking alot of black nasty oil? (which he knows he is) then when he says yes then I would say well until you get that fixed would you mind droping your son off at the end on my drive way? Its really a chore to try and clean the spill up.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Tell your kids that they are not allowed to play with the rednecks next door, unless it is at the rednecks house. That should stop the problems....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Asphalt the driveway . . . it actually looks better after you spill old oil on it:pee_smilie:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Be honost and tell him how you feel. I would totally understand if it was me. BUT if it was me then I wouldnt take my leaky ass truck on anyones driveway let alone a freshly laid cement driveway! I had the same thing happen except the perp was my brother and his now EX f@n hillbilly wife. They drove there POS onto my new exposed aggregate driveway and even laughed when they saw the friggn puddle they left. "Well you dont have to worry about getting oil on it" His then wife said. I looked at her and said well I guess you wouldnt mind me comming over a takeing a crap on your new carpet! She didnt find that funny and were amazed that I was even upset. I had them pull there car off the driveway and park it on the street (and I gave them a piece of plywood to take). They then even watched in what appeared to be total utter disbelief as I spead powder TIDE all over the Exxon Valdez size leak on my NEW driveway. Then swept that up and started all over finishing up with my power washer (when I had one). They never parked close to my house again. Neither did they ever invite me over to see there new carpet. Some people just dont get it! When I sold the house that was the only eye sore to me that you could see when you pulled up.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
as it not crossed your mind to make his old oil dripping bucket disappear or become un-usable(wink wink).
if this is not possible then at least be honest with him and the next time your having a beer and a laugh drop it in to the conversation in a well meaning way.

or tell him to drive up and down till it is all the same colour.

good luck.

ncroamer65

As a though get some Dawn liquid, pour stright on to the spot(s) wet
with warm water, use stif broush, then raise with hose. I've use Dawn
to clean up after working on engines, or anything oilly.
:wave: :wave: :wave: