• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Turning Poison Ivy into a cash crop?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent part of the afternoon spraying a high concentration formula of Roundup on poison ivy around the property. Spent part of the afternoon pulling small poison ivy sprouts out of the flower beds and from around the pool and patio areas. Looks like we are growing another bumper crop of this nasty weed.

Anyone figure out a way to harvest this stuff for profit? :sad:

I know that goats will eat it but my lovely wife chooses not to have goats on the property given the aggressive and territorial dog that is not friendly toward strange animals.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
melensdad, various forms of toxic items infested my Parents' yard so badly that i missed nearly 7 daze of school. i slid over a hill of poison ivy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
melensdad, various forms of toxic items infested my Parents' yard so badly that i missed nearly 7 daze of school. i slid over a hill of poison ivy.

My wife is highly allergic too. I feel your pain.

On the bright side one of my friends suggested that I sell them as Holiday Wreaths for politicians. If you want to buy one for your favorite politician the line forms at the door. I accept cash only. But I'm non-paritisan when it comes to shipping these to the 535 members of the house/senate in Washington :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not sensitive to poison Ivy. Word gets around and I am volunteered to bravely go and pull it for my neighbors.

This has been a really bad year for the stuff.

I can send you bales of it for your political activities.. Donated for what I would say is a noble purpose.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Read up on the Vinegar option before applying.
Yea, it works but could hinder/stop anything from growing for a couple years (especially when the salts are added).

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did the vinegar and epsom salts and it was only mildly effective. Switched back to bulldog and it works great. I want one spray kill till next year and the roundup/bulldog delivers.

Leni

I ran into poison oak once. Doc said that if I contacted it again I'd land in the hospital.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is 7:30 am and I've just come in from one of our hosta/flower beds. I pulled out a FULL BUSHEL of poison ivy. Got as many of the roots of the vine out as I could get. Its a losing battle this year with Poison Ivy. Not sure why it is spreading so fast.

Did the vinegar and epsom salts and it was only mildly effective. Switched back to bulldog and it works great. I want one spray kill till next year and the roundup/bulldog delivers.
Yeah, as soon as I saw the SALT as part of the ingredient list I knew that was not what I wanted to use. The Poison Ivy is growing in/around desirable plants. I want to be rid of the Ivy, but I'm not looking to "salt the earth" and destroy all the vegetation for a couple of years.

Leni

I've seen a spray specifically for poison ivy at Hone Depot. I didn't look to see if it is safe around other plants or not.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a spray specifically for poison ivy at Hone Depot. I didn't look to see if it is safe around other plants or not.
There are Poison Ivy "strength" sprays. They all will kill just about anything that you spray. But if you 'salt the ground' you kill future vegetation too. So salt in your garden will not only kill the plants that exist, but may kill things from growing for years to come, depending upon the saturation level, local rainfall, etc.

Consequently I use commercial spray, I try to be very careful with overspray, but some other plants are casualties of my personal war on the weed.

Leni

This is when that I'm glad that I live in the big city although I can remember pulling up to a friends home that was clearing out ivy. What they didn't know was that poison ivy was mixed in with regular ivy. They started to burn the stuff. They were lucky and had no adverse affects.