• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
But in two or so days, it will all be roses, unicorns, and rainbows. Miraculously, we will quickly stop hearing about Covid and the news will be littered with reports of gun violence and how we need to round up all you evil domestic terrorists.
No it's not going to happen that fast.
It's true that covid cases and deaths are slowing WAY down.
Do I think a lot of it has been political since the beginning?
Yup.
But I got educated through the reals and science since then.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
No it's not going to happen that fast.
It's true that covid cases and deaths are slowing WAY down.
Do I think a lot of it has been political since the beginning?
Yup.
But I got educated through the reals and science since then.
But I believe it will still happen!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The U.S. mask order for travel being implemented by Biden will apply to airports and planes, ships, intercity buses, trains and public transportation. Travelers from abroad must furnish a negative COVID-19 test before departing for the U.S. and quarantine upon arrival. Biden has already mandated masks on federal property.

One of the actions with the highest potential impact is a requirement that people arriving in the U.S. from other nations adhere to what have previously been unenforced quarantine guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The CDC suggests international travelers get a second test for the virus within three to five days after arrival and that they stay at home or in isolation for seven days -- even if the test is negative. For people who don’t get tested, it’s safest to isolate for 10 days, the CDC says.​

Last edited:

Ceee

Site Supporter
The U.S. mask order for travel being implemented by Biden will apply to airports and planes, ships, intercity buses, trains and public transportation. Travelers from abroad must furnish a negative COVID-19 test before departing for the U.S. and quarantine upon arrival. Biden has already mandated masks on federal property.

One of the actions with the highest potential impact is a requirement that people arriving in the U.S. from other nations adhere to what have previously been unenforced quarantine guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The CDC suggests international travelers get a second test for the virus within three to five days after arrival and that they stay at home or in isolation for seven days -- even if the test is negative. For people who don’t get tested, it’s safest to isolate for 10 days, the CDC says.​
Do you think that's good or bad for the US? I tend to think that's good for the US. Yes, that's a lot of restrictions, but maybe those kinds of restrictions are what's good for the country right now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think we need better mask use not mandates about masks that will prove to be ineffective because people don’t know how to use or treat their masks, in addition to the fact that many have ineffective masks.

Metadata is clearly showing that masks don’t work. And the reality is they do, if proper masks are properly used.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I think we need better mask use not mandates about masks that will prove to be ineffective because people don’t know how to use or treat their masks, in addition to the fact that many have ineffective masks.

Metadata is clearly showing that masks don’t work. And the reality is they do, if proper masks are properly used.
I see doctors and nurses wearing masks that look much like the paper ones that I've been using. Maybe they're a higher grade than the ones that I bought from the big A and have been using.

Do you think these masks are proper and effective? I'm just asking your opinion. I'm not going to hold you to anything.

Kimberly-Clark N95 Pouch Respirator (53358), Made in U.S.A, Universal Size, 50 Respirators/Bag

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Kimberly-Clark N95 Pouch Respirator (53358), Made in U.S.A, Universal Size, 50 Respirators/Bag

These are good masks. Do not touch the inside with your hand. They can be worn for 8 hours at a time. Dry it out for 24 hours and reuse it for a total of 40 use hours. Make sure it fully dries between uses. Make sure it seals around your face as tightly as possible.

Ceee

Site Supporter
These are good masks. Do not touch the inside with your hand. They can be worn for 8 hours at a time. Dry it out for 24 hours and reuse it for a total of 40 use hours. Make sure it fully dries between uses. Make sure it seals around your face as tightly as possible.
Thanks!

I know that this is not a political thread but is it just me who has noticed that Trump's supporters are not wearing masks. I still don't go outside without wearing and bringing my own alcohol/hand sanitizer. I feel like this people are not afraid to get the new variant of Covid and they are putting other people at risk.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a Trump supporter and carry masks in my car along with hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial hand wipes. You cant categorize 70 million people on the few people that you see that may not even be Trump supporters in the first place. Generalizations like that are always dangerous.

When I go in to our little town I'm always shocked at the number of people who are not wearing masks. I think that after almost a year many people have reached the "fuck it" stage and really don't care any more. I'm old and at high risk and I do care. If I find myself in the situation of being surrounded by people without masks, I leave. They can make their choices but I can also make mine.

I think that most of the things that Biden just mandated are already in place and have been for some time. This is just more Democratic grandstanding and "holier than thou" behavior. But, he said he was going to do it and he did it. It's not going to make any difference.

I just received a message from my son. He is in Dubai and has had COVID for the last week. He said that it was like a really bad flu for 5 days where he was pretty much useless and out of it. He says that he's starting to feel better every day now so it's just a matter of time and rest.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
20210121_202750.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I know that this is not a political thread but is it just me who has noticed that Trump's supporters are not wearing masks. I still don't go outside without wearing and bringing my own alcohol/hand sanitizer. I feel like this people are not afraid to get the new variant of Covid and they are putting other people at risk.
So you are saying it's Trump supporters causing all this? If they are not wearing masks, then all the deaths and sickness must be Trump supporters, right? Mask wearers don;t get sick? Or were they wearing a mask and got sick?
Oh, did you see Biden yesterday - no mask.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you are saying it's Trump supporters causing all this? If they are not wearing masks, then all the deaths and sickness must be Trump supporters, right? Mask wearers don;t get sick? Or were they wearing a mask and got sick?
Oh, did you see Biden yesterday - no mask.
Mask mandate applies to EVERYONE on federal lands except for the entitled class ... Biden, his press secretary, etc

Such a high level of hypocrisy that it’s just stunning

Meanwhile the UK government is now saying its new “Kent” strain is both significantly more contagious and it is also somewhat more deadly. The UK remains under a fairly strict lockdown.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For whatever it is worth UNITED AIRLINES is the first major US employer which is pushing require proof of vaccination to work for their airline. There will be other firms that will require vaccination to work. This is just the tip of the iceberg for employees, not only in America, but around the world.

----------------------------------------------------------

I found this article interesting. Its got a summary of positive points and some of the mistakes too. What we know, what we don't know. What we got right and what we screwed up. It's way to long to post here so I'll just give the link.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting analysis from the ZEROHEDGE folks. It seems that Zero is reporting calm information while much of the media is in a panic. If you want serious analysis for news, follow the link to ZeroHedge or bookmark their page. They have been right about this virus for a year, long before other media sources took it seriously and they have been a calming voice when others were shrill.

Is It Almost Over: US Sees Record One-Day Drop In COVID Hospitalizations

In the last few days - really since the BIden inauguration - we have seen declarations of victory over covid across the board, from the likes of Dr. Fauci who yesterday said that coronavirus infections may be about to hit a "plateau", to Wall Street, where Bank of America yesterday declared "The Beginning Of The End Of The COVID Crisis."​
In its chart of the day, BofA showed that the US is now clearly over the hump, with 142,000 COVID cases in the US on Monday, down 32% from the prior Monday with the seven day average also dropping to 209,000, down 16% from the peak on January 8th."​
In another good sign, the bank said that "testing is increasing and the share of tests that come back positive is falling" and cheerfully adds that "It seems clear that an end to the holiday season, a modest increase in restrictions and a small increase in herd immunity is bending the COVID curve."​
So is the beginning of covid's end truly nigh (coincidentally, just as Joe Biden walked into the White House)?​
It would appear that the answer is yes: as Goldman predicted last month, now that the US has administered 17.5 million vaccines and the pace has picked up to 6.4 million per week (19 per every 1000 people and almost 1million per day), Bloomberg today announced that Covid-19 hospitalizations in the U.S. fell by the most ever on Thursday, the latest sign that not only "relief may be coming to a health-care system that’s been fighting the virus for almost a year", but that the pandemic appears to finally be under control.​
Bloomberg cites the latest Covid Tracking Project data according to which, the number of people currently hospitalized with Covid dropped by 2,773 in a single day to 119,927, while the one-week drop of 9,020 was also a record, the data show. More importantly, the decrease is accelerating on a percentage basis.​
To be sure, the absolute number of people with Covid-19 in hospitals is still extraordinarily high, and while the virus remains prevalent in much of the country, it is now following the hospitalization scenario laid out by Goldman...​
... which said that "as vaccinations ramp with the targeted population we see the potential for significant further declines in US hospitalizations in the coming weeks" and in fact predicts no more covid-related hospitalizations in just a few months. The data also corroborates what we published in mid-December when we used Goldman's analysis when we explained "Why Covid Hospitalizations And Deaths Are About To Plunge."​
Meanwhile, as Bloomberg notes "the U.S. is also entering the second month of its vaccination push, with 18 million doses of the vaccine administered, or 5.62 people per 100, according to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker. Fauci has estimated that the U.S. needs to vaccinate more than 70% of its people to return to a degree of normalcy."​
Which means that between those Americans who already have natural immunity to covid (from having survived it) and those who will get the vaccine in the next several months, herd immunity should be a fact of life by the late spring (unless, of course, Fauci moves the goalposts again, or a new mutant strain with immunity to all vaccines mysteriously emerges in the next few weeks).​

Last edited:

Ceee

Site Supporter
For whatever it is worth UNITED AIRLINES is the first major US employer which is pushing require proof of vaccination to work for their airline. There will be other firms that will require vaccination to work. This is just the tip of the iceberg for employees, not only in America, but around the world.
Makes me wonder what happens to the young people who currently work for the airlines but have no way to get vaccinated because of limited supplies. I like that United is trying to be safe, but I'm not so sure that taking away a bunch of people's jobs right now is the thing to do. Maybe they've come up with a way to provide the vaccines for those current employees...who knows right now.

BTW, thanks for including some of the important info from some of the links in your posts. Sometimes I click to read but it blocks me.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt the airline will terminate people who do not yet qualify for the vaccine. Rather I believe they may terminate them if they refuse to get a vaccination when they are available to get one. JMO

———————————————

A World Health Organization (WHO) adviser who previously worked under President Clinton and then-Senator Joe Biden has broken his silence over the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jamie Metzl - who served as Deputy Staff Director of the Foreign Relations Committee under Biden(2001-2003), after serving on the National Security Council (1997-1999) and the State Department (1999-2001) under Clinton, waited until three days after Biden's inauguration to tell the Toronto Sunthat he thinks COVID-19 was most likely an accidental lab leak in Wuhan.

"There’s no irrefutable evidence," said the Kansas-born Metzl, a senior Atlantic Council fellow who was appointed to the WHO expert advisory committee on human genome editing in 2019. "There’s just more evidence and as more evidence arrives, the case for accidental lab leak, in my view, increases."

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So much here fromZeroahedge that I’m posting the whole article. Plenty of meat about the US in here too.

Europe Scrambles To Stretch COVID Jab Supplies As Global Cases Near 100MM: Live Updates​

Summary:

• Global cases near 100MM
  • Deaths 2.1MM
  • BoJo pushes more lockdowns
  • Vaccine makers may sell jabs directly to states
  • Bloomberg says nearly 57MM doses distributed
  • UK hospital population falls for 3rd day
  • German health minister expects 3MM vaccines delivered in Feb

Although the news has been buried, to a degree, by Joe Biden's inauguration and his flurry of executive orders this week intended to undo President Trump's legislative legacy, most Americans continue to fret about the efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, especially following word from Israel that their efficacy has been greatly exaggerated.

President Trump Lifting COVID Travel Ban On Europe, Brazil

Meanwhile, on a global scale, total cases are nearing 100MM, while deaths pass 2.1MM

A few days ago, we reported that nearly 2 dozen batches of spoiled vaccines accidentally ruined in transit by McKesson (or at least that was the official story) had caused tens of thousands of dosing delays in NYC, but elsewhere in the country as well, including across the state of California.

At the very least, now that the WHO has acknowledged that its PCR testing has been rendering millions of false positives due to over-amplification, the official data show that hospitalizations continue to decline across the country, suggesting that a team at Goldman calling for a trend reversal in hospitalizations (and, later on, deaths) may have been spot on.

Just days after the inauguration in the US, attention is turning back to Britain, where PM Boris Johnson continues to push more lockdowns, despite growing evidence they don't work, blaming a continuing surge in cases and deaths on the mutation.

As Pfizer said it would consider selling vaccines directly to the states as complaints about the federal plan (or, lack thereof, as Dr. Fauci claimed). A doctor in the UK urging the government to remove some of its more complicate guidelines, which have caused widespread frustration from the public.

However, in an interesting twist, Gov. Cuomo acknowledged that the federal government was no longer the greatest obstacle for states like New York when it comes to meeting vaccination targets: Instead, skeptical Black and Latino residents - purportedly those who have borne most of the suffering tied to COVID have seen the highest rates of refusal.

A group of doctors in the UK has urged the government to review the 12 weeks required for people to receive a second dose of the vaccine produced by Pfizer. The manufacturer suggests 21 days, but France’s top health authority recommends doubling that three-week gap as a way to stretch supplies and speed inoculations.

Of course, that wouldn't exactly be great for Pfizer's bottom line...

As Europe continues to struggle to overcome the delays on the vaccine front, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the "official projections" release by Chancellor Merkel, the Bank of England and myriad other institutions across Europe are essentially worthless (shocker).

And instead of waiting for their allotments of the AstraZeneca vaccine, Hungary yesterday became the first EU member to strike a deal to circumvent Brussels. And judging by grumblings in Italy, Poland and elsewhere, it won't be the last.

According to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker, 56.7MM doses in 52 countries have been administered. The latest rate was roughly 2.85 million doses a day, on average. Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 18.4 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 939,973 doses per day were administered. The UK is the jab leader in the West, with 5.8 doled out by Saturday.

Here's a roundup of COVID news on Saturday:

• People being treated for Covid-19 in U.K. hospitals fell for a third day, to 37,899 on Jan. 21. Another 33,552 positive cases were reported on Saturday, about 5,000 below the average over the previous seven days. Deaths were above the weekly average at 1,348. More than 5.86 million people have received a first dose of vaccine.
  • A day after saying New York was running out vaccines, Governor Andrew Cuomo said the coming week’s supply has begun to arrive from the federal government -- and he encouraged hesitant minorities to take it.
  • German Health Minister Jens Spahn said he expects 3MM vaccine doses to be delivered to the country in February, despite production problems by AstraZeneca.

Still, while Moderna and Pfizer have had their share of "logistical problems" in the US, a second coronavirus vaccine manufacturer has warned of supply issues to the European Union, compounding frustration in the bloc. AstraZeneca said a production problem meant the number of initial doses available would be lower than expected. The fresh blow comes after some nations' inoculation programmes were slowed due to a cut in deliveries of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And the new variant of Covid may make the US infection rate skyrocket despite the fact that we are finally ramping up vaccinations because it appears to be moving faster (in other nations) than we can move to vaccinate.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And one of several new studies about Covid and its affects on healthy young athletes. This from Vanderbilt. I’ve seen a lot more about Heart and Lung issues lately. Very little about Covid Brain.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We now have an outbreak at our local district jail as well as the minimum security prison outside the city. And more cases at the same nursing home. They have been vaccinating all the staff and patients at all the local nursing homes. A little late for the one with the outbreak that has claimed 23 lives since November.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Mask mandate applies to EVERYONE on federal lands except for the entitled class ... Biden, his press secretary, etc

Such a high level of hypocrisy that it’s just stunning

Meanwhile the UK government is now saying its new “Kent” strain is both significantly more contagious and it is also somewhat more deadly. The UK remains under a fairly strict lockdown.
So where is the end with moving goal posts, here in Ca. we now have COVID 20, I'm already hearing just because there is a vaccine it doesn't mean the end of masks and masks are a better than a vaccine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So where is the end with moving goal posts, here in Ca. we now have COVID 20, I'm already hearing just because there is a vaccine it doesn't mean the end of masks and masks are a better than a vaccine.

Good question.

So far, from the research I see, the vaccine is still expected to be effective against the new variants of Covid. So the key will be to get to Herd Immunity via a combination of vaccines and the % of previously infected people. Once we get that combination up to an unknown % (numbers seem to vary between 70%-80% of the population who have gotten either the vaccine or the virus) then we will see this fade away. Or so I gather.

Of course nobody actually knows. What we do know is that there is a disease that is real. We also know there is a political group that is doing what they can to use the disease to control people. We live in interesting times. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question.

So far, from the research I see, the vaccine is still expected to be effective against the new variants of Covid. So the key will be to get to Herd Immunity via a combination of vaccines and the % of previously infected people. Once we get that combination up to an unknown % (numbers seem to vary between 70%-80% of the population who have gotten either the vaccine or the virus) then we will see this fade away. Or so I gather.

Of course nobody actually knows. What we do know is that there is a disease that is real. We also know there is a political group that is doing what they can to use the disease to control people. We live in interesting times. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.
...."How this plays out?"

A pretty good guess would be the loss of more freedoms, supposedly for the better interest of a free people.:(:mad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...."How this plays out?"

A pretty good guess would be the loss of more freedoms, supposedly for the better interest of a free people.:(:mad:
Perhaps in some nations. Perhaps in overthrows in others. Perhaps in peaceful regime changes in some.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I get my second vax jab on Tuesday.
I'll let y'all know if I have the reaction that some are reporting.
Yay...

We're still waiting for our first. Sometimes living in the backwoods has it's disadvantages. Most of the vaccine distributions, when they come, seem to be focused on the larger centers of population. We'll just have to wait and carry on carrying on.

Actually it seems to be pretty rampant around here just now, especially after Christmas and New Years. We're having 300 - 400 new cases a week being reported and that's a lot for a small rural county. Also, as Melensdad mentioned, I'm hearing a lot more about people who have recovered from COVID but are still suffering from lung disease, fatigue and muscle pain.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still waiting for our first too. Currently Indiana has an age cut off at 70 but is projected to drop it to 60 soon. I hope very soon. Indiana is doing a pretty good job with vaccinating it’s population.