• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Washington State is looking at a state-wide quarantine.

With mandatory restriction.

Governor announced they are looking at the growth/spread rate and projecting 64,000 cases in the state by May if they cannot slow it down.

Washington State is also looking at imposing new standards on Nursing Homes within the state based on the outcry from citizens over the way they totally botched the situation in Kirkland.

Washington State Gov. Jay Inslee said the entire state of Washington might need to be quarantined because of the outbreak. With so many expected to be out of work, Inslee said the state will be expanding unemployment benefits to cover anybody who misses work because of the virus. Inslee said that cases could increase to 64,000 by May if the state doesn't take action. If necessary, Inslee said the state would implement mandatory restrictions on travel, possibly even a complete quarantine, as Seattle local TV station KOMO reported.

Linky dinky doo => https://komonews.com/news/coronavir...s-cases-in-wash-by-may-if-we-dont-take-action

Also from Washington State: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...us-response-including-cancellation-of-events/

Coronavirus crackdown? Seattle-area official outlines possible next steps

Seattle area public-health officials are “at the ready” to start ordering involuntary isolation and quarantines and are considering cancellation of major public events, with information coming soon, a top official said Monday.

Patty Hayes, director of Public Health — Seattle & King County, outlined potential next steps in the area’s effort to slow the spread of the virus at a Seattle City Council meeting and said officials are talking about what to do.

Here is the summary from ZeroHedge of the other news: www.zerohedge.com

Now sure how the summary missed it, but it has now been confirmed by the Pentagon that some US soldiers in Korea & Italy have Covid-19

Summary:
  • 6th patient dies from Cov-19 in UK

US CDC Chief: "the US is beyond virus containment in some areas"

Washington State considering "Rapid Lockdown", new benefits announced for workers

Mortality rate in Lombardy hits 8% - higher than Wuhan

Lagarde calls on European governments to embrace "rapid fiscal action."

Austria, Switzerland close borders with Italy

NJ Governor declares state of emergency

North Carolina declares state of emergency

Air Canada latest airline to suspend routes to Italy as traffic expected to plunge due to quarantine

Mass. declares state of emergency after confirming 51 'presumptive' cases; Boston cancels St. Patricks Day Parade

NYC Mayor says outbreak "evolving very rapidly"

Harvard moves classes online

Xi takes victory lap in Wuhan

Trump says had 'great' meeting with Repubs on stimulus plan, but no details released

Italy reports 36% jump in deaths, cases climb above 10,000

Three Canadians test positive in Calgary

Spain suspends parliament after lawmaker infected

Austria total cases hits 182

First case reported in Philly

EU suspends parliament indefinitely

Italian government suspends mortgage payments across country

CDC says nearly 5,000 tests have been conducted in US through Monday

National Guard is deploying to New Rochelle, area businesses, schools will close, Cuomo says

New Jersey confirms first death

Trump arrives on Capitol Hill to discuss stimulus plan with Republicans

And in news far more local and personal to me, INDIANA UNIVERSITY is closing all their campuses at the end of this week. Reopens April 6th. So it looks like my daughter's spring break, which starts after classes end tomorrow, has been extended to April. All classes will be moved to On-Line classes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PURDUE University just announced they will close all their campuses after spring break and switch to on-line classes for at least 2 weeks.

I suspect that many many more universities will do this all around the nation.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, DeWine is calling for all colleges to take their classes online.
I think that's for Cuyahoga and Franklin counties.
I guess 3 people tested positive.

Two of the confirmed cases involved a married couple who had been on a cruise on the Nile River while the third case is of a man who had attended the American Israel Public Affairs Committee in Washington, D.C. All three are in their 50s.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Only one case in Vermont so far. Heading out early in the morning for more last minute prepper supplies and stock up a bit on gasoline and propane. Other than that business as usual. Spring is coming. 70 degrees yesterday and almost 60 today. I am preparing, but expecting all of this to not live up to the hype. Trump is a smart organizer and I firmly believe he has a handle on all this as much as is humanly possible.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, DeWine is calling for all colleges to take their classes online.
I think that's for Cuyahoga and Franklin counties.
I guess 3 people tested positive.
probably going to be a trend.

I think the students and PARENTS need some guidance. IF the student travels for Spring Break then those kids probably need to seriously think about a real self quarantine when they return home. So many variables, so much high risk activity at the bars and beaches frequented by college students on spring break, so many people from so many places that may bring Covid-19 on Spring Break trips... and then send it to other locations.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Caution certainly needs to be exercised here.
But I'm not now or ever going to go into freakout mode over a virus.
It's crazy how this is getting so blown out of proportion.
Having said that, TAKE PRECAUTIONS as you should be doing during flu season, in fact.. all the time.
I know I'm being extra aware of things while out and about.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
TR, I'm a bit like you. I don't know if this virus will live up to the hype. The cynic in me says that the media is trying to cause a panic in order to destroy the Trump economy before the election. I'm not usually a conspiracy theory kind of guy but they are generating a lot of panic over what is still a minor outbreak. It's as if it was the "black death" which it assuredly is not.

I've been holding off on gas and diesel because really I can get them anytime without getting involved in crowds. Maybe next week.

One thing that you don't see mentioned very often is that Wuhan is a city of eleven and a half million people that has been isolated for weeks and I haven't seen any reports of them losing power or water. Just sayin'.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I think population density could be a major factor in the transmission rate. Any one know the population density of Wuhan, China?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I know the population. What I'm asking is the number of people per square mile/hectare in the city and immediate area.
Mike

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I know the population. What I'm asking is the number of people per square mile/hectare in the city and immediate area.
Mike

I don't know but Wuhan is one of China's most populous cities. I would compare it to NYC

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW the local Costco has plenty of water, TP, paper towels, etc. no panic buying here. Gas is $1.80.9 per gallon now.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Tomorrow is Wings Wednesday at Cowburners so I'll be in town for lunch. I have to do some shopping so I'll report back with the latest update from East Texas.

Really the only thing that I suspect will be in short supply is hand sterilizer, rubbing alcohol and the like.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this is a pretty good view from the medical professionals:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infect...YDrBOcEmIEaqg6YJP7W9Nh0eiEzp6ak4hsXd7G0yzGlNk
COVID-19: Why I’m Very Concerned
— Despite what should have been ample warning, the U.S. may get blindsided

Martin Makary MD, MPH

While it’s well known that China and Iran have under-reported their COVID-19 statistics, Italy has been fully transparent. What we are learning is very concerning. The Lombardy province alone has experienced a surge in deaths due to the coronavirus— from 20 to 66 deaths in just one day. Analyzing data for the country as a whole, new diagnoses and deaths are doubling every few days. At this rate, Italy’s entire healthcare system will be overwhelmed by next week. Remember that two weeks ago, Italy had reported seven deaths.

Italy is a preview of what we may see in the U.S. very soon.

In a recent statement, the American Hospital Association projects strain on U.S. hospitals and is requesting congressional funding for new hospital construction and increased housing for patients. Doing the math, the U.S. currently has approximately 100,000 ICU beds with most hospitals already functioning at full or near-full capacity. According the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, 200,000 to as many as 2.9 million patients could present to U.S. hospitals with coronavirus. It’s time we increase the capacity of our medical centers before the infection ramps up.

Wuhan was overrun even with 19 field hospitals set up for the pandemic. Healthcare workers are at the highest risk of getting infected, not only representing a risk to our lives but a strain to our capacity to care for the tsunami of patients expected. U.S. hospitals and health professionals are on track to soon be overrun with patients, following the pattern of hospitals overseas who describe rationing respiratory support. Within weeks, U.S. hospitals may be significantly under-resourced and deal with major staffing shortages. Washington State is already scrambling to hire hundreds of travel nurses to help staff the influx of infected patients.

If the virus stays on its current trajectory, what happened in Wuhan will happen in the U.S. There is no strong scientific argument to suggest otherwise. While we all hope the virus demonstrates an unexpected heat-sensitivity or mutates to a less virulent form, the virus has, so far, followed a highly predictable course. That path was mapped out over 3 week ago by Marc Lipsitch, PhD, of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Despite his dire warning that 40%-70% of the population could be infected, little was done to prepare for the pending crisis beyond standard handwashing and coughing instructions — a routine done every flu season. We need to mobilize quickly. In a national survey of 6,500 nurses in 48 states released last week, 63% of nurses report that they do not have access to N95 respirators in their units and many said they haven't been fitted or trained on how to properly use them. At the same time, first responders are underprepared and most have not been given the protective gear they need to treat infected patients.

Unfortunately, we live in an era of people spouting opinions on social media and cable news with no knowledge of a topic. TV pundits with no knowledge of virology, public health, or pandemic history are crowding out medical experts. Twitter, which promotes shouting over listening, is also loaded with comments ignorant the to the data. News networks should push aside legacy political commentators and put infectious diseases physicians on the air to warn the public about the pandemic. Now more than ever, physicians need to speak up about the pending health crisis in the U.S.

Arguments about the exact case fatality rate (CFR) have become a distraction from the real issue at hand — preparedness. While it’s a worthy exercise to determine if CFR estimates are including mild or asymptomatic patients in the denominator, it does not change our need to prepare or how we treat individual patients. Data from Italy suggests the CFR may be as high as 3%-4%. Adding an assumption that roughly half of people with mild or no symptoms were not tested, it may be closer to 1.5%-2%, just below that of the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic which killed 30 million people. The Diamond Princess ship was a controlled case study: 705 people tested positive for the virus, and seven died, suggesting a 1% CFR, albeit a slightly older skewed population. Regardless of where the true CFR is between 1% and 3.4% as the WHO is reporting, this is, at best, at least 10 times worse than a bad flu season and at worst, a pandemic that could claim millions of American lives.

Further hindering public health efforts, the concept of American exceptionalism has morphed into a societal arrogance that somehow the immune systems of Americans are stronger than those of the Chinese. And even though other countries have enacted very strict quarantine practices, including martial law and a shutdown of schools, there is a misleading perception that the U.S. would have less community transmission because of a better health care system and better hygiene. Another barrier has been the exaggerated notion that COVID-19 is only a danger to old people and that young people are entirely resilient.

Italy has now quarantined approximately 60 million people, and closed all nightclubs, gyms, and sporting events. I respect NIAID Director Anthony Fauci and admired his leadership as a clinical voice of reason amidst of our AIDS, SARS, and Ebola epidemics, but I’m concerned he has not yet introduced contingency plans for any of these major preventive measures. Instead, he is re-iterating a popular view that there is a lot we don’t know and that anything is possible. His only strong warning has been directed at to those considering cruise ship travel. Based on the current trajectory of the pandemic, all U.S. schools are at risk and may need to be closed, public gatherings like NCAA tournament games may need to be postponed, businesses should have their employees work from home whenever possible, and hospitals should staff up. I don’t like it, but that’s what the data are telling us to do.

At the current rate of spread, we can expect members of Congress, and even presidential candidates, to be infected with the virus within 6-8 weeks. In fact, President Xi Jinping of China has not been seen in public for weeks, and many of Iran’s leaders have the infection. Already, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz and several House members have announced they will self-quarantine after shaking hands with an infected individual. Many more are likely infected but a we have been using a false pretense that confirmed cases are the only cases out there, despite that fact that testing has been extremely limited at best. It’s time we dispel the notion that this virus is somehow contained. It is at large.

The main talking points issued on this topic have been that we simply don’t know what this virus will do -- but COVID-19's course has already played out in other parts of the world. We just need to listen to data and put medical experts out in front of this instead of broadcasting opinions. We need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Considering the implications for public health, and particularly for our older patients and those with underlying risk factors, we should act swiftly on the data rather than risk a delayed response we might regret.​

Looks like someone screwed it up and let it loose on the public :hammer:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think this is a pretty good view from the medical professionals:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infect...YDrBOcEmIEaqg6YJP7W9Nh0eiEzp6ak4hsXd7G0yzGlNk

Looks like someone screwed it up and let it loose on the public :hammer:

China's state media has been for a few days claiming that the virus originated in the US and was let loose in Wuhan by the CIA. They also stated that they provide most all medicine to the US and may withhold sending medications as a retaliatory measure.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 110

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone seen a chart withe these categories ?

1- ages of people infected
2- gender of people infected
3- general health of people infected
4- race of people infected

5- ages of people with mild or no symptoms
6- gender of people with mild or no symptoms
7- general health of people with mild or no symptoms
8- race of people with mild or no symptoms

9- ages of people recovered
10- gender of people recovered
11- general health of people recovered
12- race of people recovered

13- ages of people that died
14- gender of people that died
15- general health of people that died
16- race of people that died
these statistics would tell all, why are they not available?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone seen a chart withe these categories ?

1- ages of people infected
2- gender of people infected
3- general health of people infected
4- race of people infected

5- ages of people with mild or no symptoms
6- gender of people with mild or no symptoms
7- general health of people with mild or no symptoms
8- race of people with mild or no symptoms

9- ages of people recovered
10- gender of people recovered
11- general health of people recovered
12- race of people recovered

13- ages of people that died
14- gender of people that died
15- general health of people that died
16- race of people that died
these statistics would tell all, why are they not available?

From the stuff I've seen, pretty much every age gets infected. The UNDER 10 year olds MAY get infected at a LOWER rate. But the infection rate seems to be similar for ALL ages. 85% of the people get MILD to MODERATE cases. The SERIOUS complications seem to affect 15% of the population and lead to hospitalization, and those seem to skew up with age, but are not limited by age.

I have seen nothing related to RACE from any source.

I have seen SOME medical data that is GENDER related but nothing that is totally conclusive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 3.08.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 3.08.41 PM.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 3.07.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 3.07.29 PM.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 96

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
By the way. As I like to look at the trend lines and numbers here is something to ponder.

It took 5 days for the number of US coronavirus cases to get to 1000.

US cases are right now tracking Germany with 6 day lag, so that implies we may see 2000 cases tomorrow, 3k by Friday, between 5-6k by Monday. This presumes the official tests get the results out. And tests seem to take a bit of time to report.

Could be double the above counts if clusters are found like Korea did in late February. Looking back at South Korea, they focused on a major cluster but missed several smaller clusters that popped up. As those popped up their numbers jumped. That is likely to happen in the US, just curious when it will get caught.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
PG, sometimes I'm a little simple, what has been circulating for awhile but wasn't tested?
Mike

Bannedjoe

Gawdammit.

The wife does the MSM.
I don't.

She can usually see through the smoke.
Not this time I guess.

She just bought into the pandemic alert, and is racing off to Walmart.

I'm not sure whether to be happy about this or not.:smileywac

She's usually smarter than this.

Ok so everybody is stocking up because a virus is spreading, .......and you're going to go mingle with people????
*sigh*

Please don't bring it home with you!