• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Bannedjoe

Like that's going to happen.

They say they don't know how they're going to enforce it yet.
I'm sure fines could be involved, but how big of a force would you need to run around and police this policy?
I'm certain whatever police forces might be left certainly won't have the time to run around writing tickets for this.
Although it could prove lucrative for the state.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
They say they don't know how they're going to enforce it yet.
I'm sure fines could be involved, but how big of a force would you need to run around and police this policy?
I'm certain whatever police forces might be left certainly won't have the time to run around writing tickets for this.
Although it could prove lucrative for the state.

I don't know what there planning for enforcement and fines, but I'm in a rural area and pretty much no one around here has been wearing masks since the mortality rate was compared to the flu. I have not worn one since then and don't plan to.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Masks were required in PA for awhile. You didn't have to wear them outside or in your personal space (like your car or whatever). They were required to enter buildings but that was more of a store policy if I recall.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I wore a mask for the first time yesterday. They suck with glasses. I felt as though my breathing was constricted and my glasses kept fogging up. I finally took it off and shoved it in my pocket. Numbers are very low in this area.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just use a cheap dusk mask. They don't get hot and don't fog glasses.
Our zip code still has only 1-4 cases (redacted as to the actual #). This hasn't changed in a month.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I wear a mask when I enter stores or am around bunches of strangers which isn't very often. My wife wears one but hates it. She says she feels as if she is suffocating. She stopped wearing the N95 and wears a lighter mask but still hates it.

The numbers in our County jumped about 3 weeks ago and we are just getting the second go around now. It's not as high as the first but it's still significant for a small rural County. All the new cases are basically associated with a nursing home in one small town of 3K people. Two asymptomatic employees were working there for two weeks before they got sick. By that time the whole place was infected. That led to about 30 new cases and 5 deaths. The rest of the County is fairly stable but there has been a slight uptick, again, I think, associated with contact with the nursing home but that's only my opinion.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I really like the term"scamdemic"!! Fauci seems to have a bad case of little man syndrome. Now he wants to shut down the NFL stadium fans!!
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I really like the term"scamdemic"!! Fauci seems to have a bad case of little man syndrome. Now he wants to shut down the NFL stadium fans!!
Mike

He's had his 15 minutes of fame. I wish that he'd ride off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Fauci epitomizes everything that I dislike about "experts". He's been wrong more times than he's been right. Initially he lied about the need for masks for the public in the "public interest" of making more available for first line responders. He expresses opinions on things he has no knowledge of and expects his words of wisdom to be treated as the Gospel truth. No! His time has come and gone. Goodbye. We thank you but no thanks.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We still have the die-hard mask wearers here.
Public places, grocery stores, restaurants..
Of course that's the first thing I have to do upon entry at work, punch into the kiosk, name, go through the motions answering the few questions, take my temp, record it, sign out, sign the paper, grab a mask from the box and away we gooooo, for 12 freaking hours.

Nothing feels so wonderful as throwing that SOB in the trash bin AFTER I go through the motions again at the kiosk and sign out book at the end of the day.
Can't wait until this charade is over.
The End.

Bannedjoe

I've got the solution for Covid and Racism.

We all wear hoods and gloves!

That way everyone is covered for sneezes and coughs, and no one can tell what race anyone is.

TA-Da!!!
Problems solved.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, this is in the local paper today. Seems folks are done with the virus control and so is the county I live in.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 133

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe I don't get out much LOL

Found it.

Sacramento Sheriff, other capital agencies won’t enforce Newsom’s mask order. Here’s why
BY ALEXANDRA YOON-HENDRICKS AND MICHAEL MCGOUGH
JUNE 19, 2020 12:26 PM , UPDATED JUNE 20, 2020 08:31 AM

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article243663267.html#storylink=cpy

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office will not be enforcing the statewide order Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Thursday requiring masks and face coverings in public as coronavirus cases continue to increase in California.

In a statement Friday, the Sheriff’s Office recommended people should be “exercising safe practices” during the pandemic, including wearing masks, but said it would be “inappropriate” to criminally enforce the governor’s order, or target people and businesses for failing to do so.

“Due to the minor nature of the offense, the potential for negative outcomes during enforcement encounters, and anticipating the various ways in which the order may be violated, it would be inappropriate for deputies to criminally enforce the Governor’s mandate,” a statement from Sheriff Scott Jones said.

Instead, deputies will be operating “in an educational capacity” — an enforcement stance that the office has maintained for months with regard to social distancing protocols, even as various health orders locally and statewide have come down in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Sheriff’s Office employees will comply with Newsom’s new order “to the extent feasible,” according to Jones’ statement.

Sacramento County public health officials have observed a recent spike in coronavirus activity, which contact tracers have attributed to large gatherings like parties inside people’s homes where attendees have not worn masks or maintained physical distance.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
New Coronavirus Cases Have Reached Record Highs in 12 States; Here’s Why It Doesn’t Matter
Posted at 12:30 pm on June 23, 2020 by Elizabeth Vaughn

https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-...ighs-in-12-states-heres-why-it-doesnt-matter/

The media has been issuing ominous warnings about the resurgence of new cases of COVID-19 in many states. In fact, new cases are at record highs in at least a dozen states.

NPR published a list of states where new cases (as of Monday 11:59 pm, June 22) were higher than they’d been two weeks ago. Topping the list was Oklahoma, which has seen a 268% jump in new cases. Next up are Florida and Texas with increases of 184% and 154%, respectively. The list can be viewed here.

“So what,” says the Issues & Insights editorial board.

In early March, when various plans of dealing with the coronavirus were being debated, the choices were shown to us via a curve. Two extremes were presented to us. In the first scenario, we could go on with business as usual and the curve would nearly immediately turn upward and would peak quickly. It would also fall as fast as it rose. The obvious disadvantage to this choice is that the hospitals would be crushed trying to provide care for such a huge influx of patients at one time.

The second option, and the one the U.S. ultimately chose, was to shut down the economy and self-quarantine, the goal being to flatten the curve. The benefit to this plan was that our hospitals and health care professionals would not be overwhelmed.

And, as we moved through it, we were told that scientists would have more time to find an effective therapy to fight the virus and to ramp up testing.

The number of lives lost was said to be approximately the same under the two plans, but the deaths would be accelerated under the first scenario.

We were also told that once we began to reopen the economy, the number of cases would increase.

The I & I editors looked at the situation in Georgia, a state which began to reopen in late April. Gov. Brian Kemp was widely criticized for opening his state too early. At the time, WRCB TV reported that one epidemiological model predicted: “the number of COVID-19 deaths per day in Georgia will jump from 32 people dying on May 1 to a projected 63 people dying per day by August 4.”

As it turned out:

The number of daily deaths in the state had already peaked on April 16 at 57 and has been steadily declining ever since. The state recorded a total of 37 deaths all last week, and zero on Sunday.

The same trend is happening nationally, which has seen the growth rate in the total number of cases steadily outstrip the growth in COVID-19 deaths for many weeks now.

So far this month, in fact, the number of new cases on June 21 was 16% higher than on June 1, but the daily number of deaths was 63% lower.

Here’s the interesting part. One of the site’s editors, Michael Fumento, explains why the spike in new cases won’t lead to a subsequent spike in deaths.

“Death rates are higher at the start of an outbreak for the simple reason that the disease claims the low-hanging fruit first. This, he says, is known as Farr’s Law,” says Fumento. (Please scroll down for a description of Farr’s Law.)

Fumento continues:

The latest CDC data show that those aged 65 and older account for 80% of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. But that age group makes up only 16% of the population. At the other end of the spectrum, those under age 35 comprise 45% of the population but account for a tiny0.8% of COVID-19 deaths.

Not only has the disease already claimed many of the most vulnerable in this country, there are also millions who now have antibodies.

The combination means that even if there are lots of new cases going forward, the death toll is likely to be far less severe than it has been.

Why don’t we hear explanations like this from the mainstream media? Because if they had their way, the economy would remain shut down through Election Day.

Wikipedia:

Farr’s law was formulated by Dr. William Farr when he made the observation that epidemic events rise and fall in a roughly symmetrical pattern. The time-evolution behavior could be captured by a single mathematical formula that could be approximated by a bell-shaped curve.

In 1840, Farr submitted a letter to the Annual Report of the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages in England. In that letter, he applied mathematics to the records of deaths during a recent smallpox epidemic, proposing that:

“If the latent cause of epidemics cannot be discovered, the mode in which it operates may be investigated. The laws of its action may be determined by observation, as well as the circumstances in which epidemics arise, or by which they may be controlled.”

He showed that during the smallpox epidemic, a plot of the number of deaths per quarter followed a roughly bell-shaped or “normal curve”, and that recent epidemics of other diseases had followed a similar pattern.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Texas just halted their "reopening" as the hospitals in the Houston area have been overrun with cases. Elective surgeries have been halted in 6 populous counties. The Houston ICU capacity has been exceeded, there is now emergency activation of temporary hospital measures.

So while many people don't care, and while most people don't die, we are seeing almost the whole of the south, from Florida to California having their emergency and critical care services taxed to near capacity or beyond.

One of my fencing students just buried his grandfathers via video-stream due to Covid. His father is in isolation, also stricken with Covid. This disease strikes the old and the sick the hardest.

Basically it is killing off the generation that uses Forums-Forums. Perhaps the advantage we have here at FF is that most of us are pretty rural, pretty isolated, and pretty self-sufficient based on our own life choices. So we have the luxury of sitting back and watching the pandemic, its economic and societal effects, all while we sip sweet tea (or single malt, or bourbon) on our respective porches.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I know that in many parts of Texas when they started opening back up they said "screw it, I want my life back" and totally abandoned all the precautions. When I occasionally go in to our little town I continually meet people whose attitude is "That if the good Lord wants me, He'll take me". Many say that they want to catch the virus and get it over and done with one way or another. They just don't want to continue living like we have been.

I'm like you, I'm considered high risk and that kind of attitude frightens me somewhat. It's not just them but all the other people, like me, who they can come in contact with. My wife and I are still taking the same basic precautions that we were taking when this whole thing started and we'll continue to stay away from people as much as possible.

As you mentioned, we're sitting up on our little hill surrounded by pastures, fences and locked gates, freezers are well stocked, plenty of Scotch and dog and cat food.

At the beginning of this, I said that I thought I had enough resources to last about 3 months. Well, about 4 months in to it and we've probably got enough to last for maybe another 6 months. I kind of underestimated. :smile:

Our County still isn't overwhelmed but the number keep on ticking up almost every day. I'm beginning to think that the only real hope is a vaccine and I don't know how long that will take. 2020 is shaping up to be the year that never was.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . .

I'm like you, I'm considered high risk and that kind of attitude frightens me somewhat. It's not just them but all the other people, like me, who they can come in contact with. My wife and I are still taking the same basic precautions that we were taking when this whole thing started and we'll continue to stay away from people as much as possible.

As you mentioned, we're sitting up on our little hill surrounded by pastures, fences and locked gates, freezers are well stocked, plenty of Scotch and dog and cat food.

. . .

These people seemed like a nice family. But a fairly short duration family party now has the elder members in ICU and 18 total infected.

Hey, if you are under 30 I understand, get it and get over it. Many may not even know they had it. I even support sending healthy kids to school and reopening the colleges too.

If you are in the 31-59 and healthy group, maybe not much to worry about, at least if you are not living pay check to pay check. If you get it you'll likely miss a couple weeks of work, you'll feel like you have a cold, maybe you will feel miserable, just sort of depends on how bad of a case you got.

Age 60+ with high blood pressure, any autoimmune disorder, heart issues, diabetes, etc etc and you are rolling the dice and the house holds the odds. You may very well survive but it will be a struggle and you will be more than miserable.

Age 60-74 and healthy, probably going to spend a bit of time in the hospital or miserable at home but you'll be back on your feet.

Age 75+ and statistically to dust you shall return.

Any age + underlying conditions and you are playing Russian Roulette.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...RBR8C5iOs77Y0D5vzsjwIEGlu9ip22lgrlu_lYEUmGQKU

North Texas family shaken after 18 relatives test positive for COVID-19 following family gathering
Three are now hospitalized, including two elderly family members and one woman battling breast cancer.

CARROLLTON, Texas — As North Texas watches COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge, one family is shouldering a health crisis that they never expected to face.

That crisis, all began on May 30 when just a single relative, unknowingly infected with COVID-19, interacted with seven family members at a surprise birthday party who later tested positive.

Now, Ron Barbosa is keeping track of 18 people in his family who have tested positive for COVID-19. Per Barbosa, those seven family members contracted and spread the virus to 10 other relatives at the party or through other family interactions.

Barbosa didn't attend the party himself, but the celebration was for his daughter-in-law who turned 30. However, Barbosa's nephew hosted.

That nephew, Barbosa said, is the one who was unknowingly infected, thinking a slight cough was the byproduct of working in construction. Before the party, he played golf with a few family members who also attended the event, according to Barbosa.

Even though everyone did their best to stay socially distant, Barbosa said it likely wasn't enough as he suspects the party was likely the catalyst of the spread.

"It wasn't that long. It was only a couple of hours," Barbosa, a volunteer EMT said. "But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected with COVID."

Barbosa, who is also married to a doctor, said he and his wife refused to go to the party due to safety reasons.

However, it was a party that by current state health standards appeared harmless. A total of 25 people attended, Barbosa said, and not all of them arrived at the same time or stayed for the same duration.

"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it," Barbosa said. "We knew this was going to happen, I mean this whole time this has been going on we've been terrified."

Among those infected are two young children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa's parents, who are in their 80s. . .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My son Jeff is in Pittsburgh right now.
Last night he went to his usual spot, Primanti Bros to have supper.
He had to wear a mask inside the restaurant, but could take it off once he started eating.

Today he wanted to go to Big Jim's but it was take out only, so he settled for the pizza place that makes the huge pies.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Fauci keeps talking about a cure by the end of the year or early next year. Where is the cure for the common cold or the flu that kills nearly as many each year. It may never come. I'm over 60 and practice hand sanitizer and washing hands. I use the mask when appropriate. I also live in a rural area like most posting here. Life hasn't changed that much except work is a little slower than normal. I have made some adjustments and its really not that much of an inconvenience. traffic is much liter when I have to go to a city and the stores are less crowded. I don't know if it will burn itself out or come back year after year, but this I do know, there is not a fu<king thing you or I can do about it. Life goes on until it doesn't.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fauci keeps talking about a cure. . .

I think the whole science community is optimistic for a few reasons. NEVER in history have multiple governments devoted so much money to do the research and development to find treatments and vaccines as we are seeing today. The US has partnered with several major medical research universities, footing the bill. Several private companies have partnered with major medical research universities. The UK, China and Russia, as well as the EU, are pumping money into research to find a cure.

And we are not talking about small amounts of money. This is a worldwide effort with open checkbooks.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently as these testing teams make their way through the state, facilities will be given a 2 hr window (notice).
I'm actually looking forward to being tested.

Covid1 20200702_053122.jpg

Covid 2 20200702_053106.jpg

Covid 3 _20200702-052941_Drive.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG its good that Ohio is doing this.

As you look at the statistics from around the nation, if you look at nursing homes you see clusters of deaths. Typically it's the elderly residents who get sick and many die, typically the staff carries it around the home. While it varies by state, many states seems to see that nursing home residents make up roughly 1/2 of the deaths in the state (varies and is on-going but I've seen 42% to 70%)

--------------------------------

Looks ALABAMA has a bunch of idiots in college.

The news is reporting that college kids at University of Alabama are hosting "Covid Parties" where kids put $ into a jar when they enter the party. The kid who catches Covid first wins all the money in the jar.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we get to herd immunity sooner rather than later, but in a somewhat more responsible way. If kids are being this blatant about spreading it my guess is they are doing nothing to protect their elderly or vulnerable relatives, neighbors, etc.

-----------------------------

Indiana has "paused" its reopening. Our R-naught infection rate number went from 0.96 to 0.99 and while we have plenty of ICU beds and ventilators and capacity, we've had some troubling trends.

On July 3 we were supposed to lift ALL restrictions on businesses and move into Phase 5, which was a return to normal. While ALL restrictions would be lifted from businesses, the schools and .gov offices would still operate under restricted guidance. So as of July 3 we will be under Phase 4.5 . . . which is just a half-ass move . . . we stay under Phase 4 until mid-July. And we get a RECOMMENDATION to wear masks, not a mandate.

In mid July when we supposedly move to Phase 5 we will see what happens. The state website has been updated for EMPLOYEES in Phase 5 saying that mask requires will be determined. Currently under Phase 4, most employees are required to wear a mask in most businesses.

---------------------------------

CHINA has a VACCINE for Covid 19

They are now, as of this week, vaccinating MILITARY only. It is not for the civilian population. Logically it is actually a wide scale clinical trial and the military in China is being used as their test rats.

Worth keeping an eye on this.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The NY Times is Misrepresenting the Death Curve, and There are Consequences
Posted at 12:15 pm on July 2, 2020 by mugtome gusts

https://www.redstate.com/diary/mugt...g-the-death-curve-and-there-are-consequences/

I’ve been watching this virus since November last year, and I’ve been tracking CDC data for at-least 3 month now. The NY Times is mis-representing the virus death curve. I’ve had suspicions for a while, but the cat was let out of the bag on June 25th, when New Jersey reclassified 1877 previous deaths as covid-19 deaths, and the NY Times reported them as June 25th deaths. What the NY Times is tracking is not time of death, but time of determination that death was caused by Covid-19. I discussed this in the prior diary, but I don’t think I made a strong enough case as to the repercussions of this.

So here, I’m reposting the graph of excessive deaths from death certificate tracking (which is time of death based) and NY Times data (which is time of reported cause of death based):

The total number of deaths between the two isn’t far off. Depending on what is considered ‘normal’, the entire death certificate based curve can be shift up or down. But the shape will not change. Why is this important?

1. The death curve isn’t flattened. Flattening the curve was a complete failure.
  2. People are no longer dying by the thousands every week from the virus. NY Times reporting makes it look so, causing distress in the public.
  3. Politicians react to the NY Times reporting and justify bad policy
  4. And now, research groups are using the same method I used and coming to the wrong conclusion. USA Today just reported on a research group that used a similar method that I used, didn’t know that the NY Times is not reporting time of death (it took me a while to truly realize this too), and now is using the difference between the curves to conclude that an extra 50,000 or so people died from the virus. They are comparing dissimilar data and drawing bad conclusions. Expect the press to run with this and continue their reign or terror reporting.

I’ll publish a full update this weekend when the next batch of CDC data drops. But the misrepresentation of the death curve is starting to have staggering consequences.

Attachments

• 842EC0F9-AC94-46E4-9DF9-7E2FFE34629C.jpg
    842EC0F9-AC94-46E4-9DF9-7E2FFE34629C.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 70

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a lot of graphs and charts that are very misleading.

Honestly from BOTH sides of the political spectrum there are misrepresentations.

We know a lot more than we knew when this really started to grab hold in March of this year.

• We now know it kills the elderly at abnormally high rates.
  • We also know it kills people with pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure (even if controlled) and diabetes (even if controlled) and autoimmune disorders.
  • We know it kills people at higher rates if they have multiple underlying conditions.
  • We know that in states & countries where bars/similar establishments are open the cases tend to spread faster.
  • We know it kills people with COPD and similar conditions.
  • But we also know that people under 50 pretty much don't die from this. People over 65 are taking their chances.
  • We know that contact spread (via grocery shopping, UPS delivery, etc) is almost nil.
  • We know that human to human transmission is how this spreads.
  • We know that masks dramatically slow the spread of the disease but they don't really protect the wearer of the mask (unless its a really good mask) but realistically washing your hands and not touching your face protects you as well as even a good mask.
  • We know that asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic people are the main cause of spread, and simply talking will expel enough virus into the air to get another person in close proximity sick.
  • We know that CHILDREN, while they may get sick, typically have VERY mild issues.
  • We know that human to human contact of only a few minutes is all takes to spread it.
  • We don't know why some young people (below age 50) get very sick but others exhibit almost no issues.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like here we go again (possibly).
Just when our state has started the slow re-open, bars are closing again, school year may not start in the fall.
Fireworks displays that were going to happen this weekend are now being cancelled.
Sigh...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like here we go again (possibly).
Just when our state has started the slow re-open, bars are closing again, school year may not start in the fall.
Fireworks displays that were going to happen this weekend are now being cancelled.
Sigh...

We need to get the kids back into school.

BUT any child with underlying condition, or living in a home with an "at risk" parent should stick with On-Line eduction. All the other kids need to be back in school. Put in a plan to protect the "at risk" teachers and faculty members. Put in a plan to protect the "at risk" students/families. Open the schools. If there is an outbreak it will, statistically, not be a big deal. Kids will get it, get over it, and everyone moves on. Kids will spread it to some healthy parents, who will get it, they will NEED to self-isolate so as not to infect co-workers and others, but they will get over it in a couple weeks and the world will move forward.

The key will be to protect the vulnerable population in any sort of scenario like this.

Notre Dame is reopening. Isolating the kids ON CAMPUS with special dorms, lots of testing, covid recovery dorms, etc. Vulnerable populations will be on-line. NO TRAVEL will be allowed. Parents don't get to come and visit. Students will be told not to leave campus to go to off campus bars (we'll see if that works).