• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bad Ice?

Tweeker

I enjoy a good drink now and then, actually more now than then :whistling:
I drink a single malt scotch with ice.
the problem is the ice goes bad after about two weeks in my freezer.
It gets something like freezer burn on it which makes it taste bad and ruins the scotch.
I start with either arrowhead ice or the ice from the local liquor store because that ice last the longest before going bad.
Question, does anyone have a clue what I am talking about, and how do you keep it from going bad, the ice that is :wink:
Tweeker

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't put your ice in the same freezer that your store bread in....it will get a yeast infection..:w00t2::w00t2::wow::smile:..Don't use the ice at subway sandwich shops..for the same reason..

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If I ever buy ice, it's Home City.
Never had a problem using it from the freezer no matter how long it's been in there.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or you could be a purist and make your own ice from bottled water, if your tap water doesn't suit your tasts. Freeze dried ice isn't good in anything, much less a good single malt...:wink:

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if you have a leaky door seal gasket. Air will infiltrate into the freezer when it blows cold air over to the fridge. Odors in the kitchen will be drawn in with the air.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice is made from water, do you have any idea what fish do in water? :doh:

Just forget the ice and drink it straight out of the bottle, no glasses to wash either. :biggrin:

Tweeker

I wonder if you have a leaky door seal gasket. Air will infiltrate into the freezer when it blows cold air over to the fridge. Odors in the kitchen will be drawn in with the air.

I keep the ice tied up almost air tight in a double plastic bag, which does help somewhat.
I have noticed this problem at other peoples house as well.
But I have never encountered it at a bar or restaurant, both of which I have experience working at.
Tweeker

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't store your ice in a frost-free freezer. The constant defrost/re-freeze messes it up. Since the defrost cycle in the frost-free melts everything a bit, you're picking up the scent of everything else in the freezer. Mainly, a lot of cardboard if you have packaged foods.

Keep your ice in a deep-freezer (if you have one).

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't store your ice in a frost-free freezer. The constant defrost/re-freeze messes it up. Since the defrost cycle in the frost-free melts everything a bit, you're picking up the scent of everything else in the freezer. Mainly, a lot of cardboard if you have packaged foods.

Keep your ice in a deep-freezer (if you have one).

I never though about that. My freezer, wherein is my ice, is not frost free, and my ice has always tasted like, well, ice.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember when I drank, I had problems with bad ice all the time. Now, I've noticed that for me the ice has gotten so much better. I never seem to have a problem with it in the Ice Tea or Root Beer. Strange how that happens. :biggrin:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Drink your wiskey neat. If you must have it cold, put your glass in the freezer conveniently next to the wiskey.

No ice required.