• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

History of Snow Cats/Oversnow in Australia

AndrewCudgewa

G'day All,

I have been assembling an outline history of Snow Cat types used in Australia over the years which I thought may interest some members?

The site is here:

http://australianalpinoversnow.blogspot.com/

As you will see, it's a start and there's quite a bit more information which will flow in over the years. Any contributions/corrections regarding Australian equipment are very welcome.:wink:

Cheers, Andrew

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neat site. I was hoping you might mention the Snow Tracs that were based there for use in Antarctica. That was a long time ago, however. ANARE was the scientific organization that used a small fleet of them, and as the story goes they were modified in Australia before they were shipped out.

Regards, Kirk

mtmogs

Excellent site! Great old photos and research. I suspect that the snow tracs shown with the forward leaning windshields are ex-ANARE.

AndrewCudgewa

G'day all,

Thanks for the kind words and input. Must say, getting across the various Oversnows in Australia-proper has been a bigger task than expected so I haven't even got to vehicles used by Australia in the Antarctic Territory! I'm not overly familiar with detail on the fleet over time, however they may require their own section as they have been a widespread user of equipment (including ANARE) over many years, as you have noted also.

mtmogs - Yes, I understand some of the Hagglunds at least are ex-ANARE, some directly imported.

Cheers, Andrew

AndrewCudgewa

G'day All,

The-Nodwells0006.jpg

A long time between posts, however I have done a few updates to the site since this initial posting and in particular over the last few months added quite a few new pictures and some information.

Following pages have been updated:

* Hagglunds
* Tucker Sno Cat
* Nodwell (new page)
* Bombardier
* Other Oversnows known & unknown
* Prinoth
* Argo
* Other snow equipment
* Thiokol/LMC
* Pisten Bully/Kassbohrer
* Snow Trac
* M29 Weasel
* NSW Tractors
* Citroen Kegresse

.....might have been easier to write which hadn't been updated. And I still haven't got to Australia's Antarctic capability, plus I have also received some rare NZ oversnows - am considering whether to extend the coverage across the Tasman.

The site is at:
http://australianalpinoversnow.blogspot.com/

Hope it's of interest.

Cheers, Andrew

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I also checked it out I talk with folks in Australia on the ham radio one guy vk3jd worked at the porsche dealer that installed 356 motors in the Antarctic bound snowtracs . I have also given tours to some other folks from down under during Iditarod. none of them had ever mentioned seeing snow cats there or even a need for them. what about the axe track aren't those also built there.

AndrewCudgewa

Thanks Short Bus and Alaska Snow Cat, good to hear it's of interest.

DDS - I'm not surprised they may not have been aware of the Australian oversnow vehicles. Only a fairly small percentage of Australians get to the snow regularly, and our fleet has always been pretty modest compared to many countries, probably because we only get snow in the mountains where populations are low and seasonal. We do make up for it in variety though as I have tried to show on the site. The reason I set the site up is I went looking for information on our oversnows and found very little!

Re: the Axtrack, on the right of my site is an index of the marques covered including our locally built Axtrack.

Cheers, Andrew

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mountain in the background to this photo is Mount Henderson, one of the more prominent mountains behind Mawson station. It rises to 970 metres, is about 15 km inland, and can be seen from well offshore.

The vehicle is called a SnowTrac. I think they were made in Australia, certainly I have never heard of them outside Australia and its Antarctic stations. They were powered by a Porsche industrial engine, but had some recurring problems with tracks. It is parked on what is called "blue ice" - hard glassy ice which fractures and tinkles like glass if broken: this is found only in the "ablation zone" near the coasts and we were out testing some experimental ice depth sounding equipment. The 'trendy skier'... ahem, a little embarrassing to say it's me.

One of the most popular books at Mawson in 1966 (and the other Australian stations) was called "Rumdoodle". Written by WE Bowman, it was about a mythical expedition to a mythical mountain called "Rumdoodle". While it may not resonate in quite the same way to anyone who has not been in an expedition environment, we (and previous expeditions) found the book absolutely hilarious, as a satire on expeditions in general. Between the pages were a recognisable crew of misfits, drunks, incompetents and fakers, forever asking their idiot leader to send more 'medicinal champagne'. Not only was it popular, in 1959 it provided the official name for this mountain in the North Masson Ranges, about 15 km to the south of Mawson.

In 1966, a field caravan was permanently stationed there for short breaks from the station. Here we see a SnowTrac and a dogteam out for a day's run.

The book has been republished several times and there even is a webpage on it, at http://www.rumdoodle.org.uk/ . A highly recommended read.

Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

AndrewCudgewa

G'day JimVT,

Thank you for the notes, recollections and pictures. I have permission from the Australian Antarctic Division to re-use their oversnow information and pictures on the site, just haven't got around to it yet. They have and still do have a fascinating fleet, but it's a job to collate so might be a little while before I get it put up. Will include your notes also.

There are people far more versed in Snow Tracs here who can advise on the specifics - they may have been modified in Australia, but were made in Sweden.

Cheers, Andrew

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
G'day JimVT,

Thank you for the notes, recollections and pictures. I have permission from the Australian Antarctic Division to re-use their oversnow information and pictures on the site, just haven't got around to it yet. They have and still do have a fascinating fleet, but it's a job to collate so might be a little while before I get it put up. Will include your notes also.

There are people far more versed in Snow Tracs here who can advise on the specifics - they may have been modified in Australia, but were made in Sweden.

Cheers, Andrew
There is a guy in melburn his name is John Couch, he worked for the Porsche dealer that did the mods to the Antarctic snow tracs. they ordered the rigs from Sweden engine deleted. fitted them with Porsche 356 motors, and espbacher fuel burning heaters. pm me and I will pass you on an e-mail. the guy is getting in to his 70's now so it would be good to document what knowledge he has locked up in his head

AndrewCudgewa

I hadn't JimVt but a quick check now shows quite a bit for when I get to the Antarctica section of the site :ohmy:, will be challenging to sort it all out!

Thank you for the contact offer also dds, I will reach out when I get to the section.

Cheers, Andrew