• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apple Flovered Summer Sausage ??????

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Last year for the first time , I tried making Summer Sauage out of some Deer we took off the ranch . It turned out excellent . It had a nice smokie flavor . So this year I went and bought the same brand of seasonings again from Cabela's . The only difference is I used Elk . Now this year the Sausage has a very light Apple flavor to it . I even went and checked the box it came in and it don't say nothing about Apple Flavored . Don't get me wrong , I ain't complaining and it has gone over even better than last years Deer Sausage . Could the Elk meat change the flavor that much ? I don't think so .
Do you think the manufacturer could have made a mistake in the seasonings ? I love this flavor but I'm not quite sure how to repeat the process to get the same results .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Were you making apple butter in the kettle before you did the sausage? The seasoning should not give it the apple flavor. What wood did you use for smoking it? I like sassafras for my sausage but have used apple before and it was very similar.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Were you making apple butter in the kettle before you did the sausage? The seasoning should not give it the apple flavor. What wood did you use for smoking it? I like sassafras for my sausage but have used apple before and it was very similar.

No Apple Butter and no not the wood either. This stuff is great but I sure do not know how it got this apple flavor ?? I'm thinking someone(Elk Camp Buddies) may have slipped in some apple juice or something when I was mixing it up .

No one admitting to nothing, because messing with a mans Elk Meat is a hangable offense here in Idaho .

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Apple Flavored Summer Sausage ??????

What did you use for culture? Or, did you use an acid to make pH? If you used Malic acid, malic acid will impart an apple-type presence.

What about the culture? If the culture results in lactic acid, then the apple flavor should not be there. But, if the culture you used results in malic acid, well, there you go.

We've played with encapsulated malic in summer to give the start of biting into an apple. It works, but the acid enhanced summer's flavor deteriorates quickly.

If you did use malic, put just a particle or two on your tongue, get it between your upper and lower front teeth, and bite down on it. You'll think you just bit into an apple.

But if you want to make good sumer, use CS299 starter culture, and watch your dextrose. If you add the correct amount of dextrose to the CS299 determined by the weight of the green weight of the emulsion you create with the meat and spice, you'll get good consistent results each time.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Apple Flavored Summer Sausage ??????

What did you use for culture? Or, did you use an acid to make pH? If you used Malic acid, malic acid will impart an apple-type presence.

What about the culture? If the culture results in lactic acid, then the apple flavor should not be there. But, if the culture you used results in malic acid, well, there you go.

We've played with encapsulated malic in summer to give the start of biting into an apple. It works, but the acid enhanced summer's flavor deteriorates quickly.

If you did use malic, put just a particle or two on your tongue, get it between your upper and lower front teeth, and bite down on it. You'll think you just bit into an apple.

But if you want to make good sumer, use CS299 starter culture, and watch your dextrose. If you add the correct amount of dextrose to the CS299 determined by the weight of the green weight of the emulsion you create with the meat and spice, you'll get good consistent results each time.

Man you are way over my head on this one ! I just used the box from Cabela's and followed the directions for making Summer Sausage , just like last time .
I think I am the only one left with any sausage as the other guys wolfed theirs down already . It will probably be all gone in the next couple of weeks and then I'll wait to next hunting season to make any more .

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, just remember next time. The amount of culture used is very important. In with those spices and stuff, is some sort of substance to lower the pH on your summer.

In the case of culture, the usage is 0.04 pounds per 100 pounds of meat.

I think you went overboard on your spice package which resulted in a lower than normal pH, reulting in an unusual flavor.

Tell me how you cook the summer. Times and temperatures. Any idea what the final pH is/was?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, just remember next time. The amount of culture used is very important. In with those spices and stuff, is some sort of substance to lower the pH on your summer.

In the case of culture, the usage is 0.04 pounds per 100 pounds of meat.

I think you went overboard on your spice package which resulted in a lower than normal pH, reulting in an unusual flavor.

Tell me how you cook the summer. Times and temperatures. Any idea what the final pH is/was?

OK ! YOU Nailed it ! I now know what I did .

I completely forgot that we were not making a whole batch like last time and I am pretty sure I used too much of the seasoning . I remember wondering if I was using to much .
THANKS .

PS: Is that bad that I used too much ? Would it make someone sick if they ate too much at one time ??

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
OK ! YOU Nailed it ! I now know what I did .

I completely forgot that we were not making a whole batch like last time and I am pretty sure I used too much of the seasoning . I remember wondering if I was using to much .
THANKS .

PS: Is that bad that I used too much ? Would it make someone sick if they ate too much at one time ??
It won't make them sick but they might pee a little different color! LOL If you are sticking to your diet you should send some of that leftover sausage to me. Just trying to help you out, Buddy!:flowers:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
No, no harm. pH wil be lower. But it won't hurt you. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it. Elk, apple, cinnamon. Unique!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are sticking to your diet you should send some of that leftover sausage to me. Just trying to help you out, Buddy!:flowers:

Why don't you and the little woman pop in for a sample :smile:. Yes I really do not need to eat any of it , buy boy is it good . I usally cut a small 1 - 2 inch piece and it last for a week or more . It stays a pretty long time if I keep it the rest frozen . I figure the 20" stick will last to about the end of Feburary at this rate . The wife does not eat Summer sausage so I get to hoard it to myself . :w00t2::smile:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
This works if your pH is lower than 4.9 or so.

Hang it up in the corner of the kitchen somewhere. leave it for at least a month, 3 is better. It will dry out and cut like a rock. But all the spices get concentrated and talk about tasty. I always have a "test: hanging in a cooler somewhere so I can have some whenever I want. last one I had was an Italian Summer I had hanging for at least 2 months. Man, was that good.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I showed the wife where elk city is on mapquest and she said"where are the roads". I told here they are there just not big enough to bother putting on a map. She would maybe like it in the summer but not if she needed a snowcat to get in and out. How in the world can you have a 2in. piece of sausage around for more than a minute or 2?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, I showed the wife where elk city is on mapquest and she said"where are the roads". I told here they are there just not big enough to bother putting on a map. She would maybe like it in the summer but not if she needed a snowcat to get in and out.

Actually the county 2 man crew does a hell of a job keeping the county roads open in the winter . I can go to town without chains anytime in the winter .
My County road is on the local School Bus route and it gets plowed and sanded every morning at 6 AM . All I have to do is worry about my own Private road down to the ranch which is about 3/8-1/2 mile long . A neighbor will take his big Log Skidder in or his D-2 cat and open that road for me if I want to come in during the winter months . Once I get to the ranch ,I have a 45HP 4x4 tractor with a 6'blower to really open up my road and keep it nice and easy to get in and out of .

Attachments

• 865.jpg
    865.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 100

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that like the beef jerky I have hidden in the freezer for about 3 months? I won't break it out till we have guests and I can send the rest home with them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Is that like the beef jerky I have hidden in the freezer for about 3 months? I won't break it out till we have guests and I can send the rest home with them.

Yep ! pretty much . I learned a lesson though . 3 years ago I gave my brother 40 pounds of very lean Back strap Elk meat for jerky . The deal was I was suppose to get half . He made it, called, and said it was excellent and my half was all bagged up and ready to pick up next time i came down to Calif . By the time I got to his place a couple months later it was all gone .

My brother has got NO Elk meat since !:yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, but I have to have a cab and a heater! I pushed so much snow on an open cab 310 John Deere hoe with so many layers of clothes on I could hardly move that I can't do it any more. The skid steer with an open front is bad enough but it is one handy shovel around the house and barn. I like my Case 580K with cab and heat better but it is harder to work close to buildings and flower beds.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry, but I have to have a cab and a heater! I pushed so much snow on an open cab 310 John Deere hoe with so many layers of clothes on I could hardly move that I can't do it any more. The skid steer with an open front is bad enough but it is one handy shovel around the house and barn. I like my Case 580K with cab and heat better but it is harder to work close to buildings and flower beds.

A cab and heater would be nice but it only takes me about 30 minutes to make a run up and back on the road with the blower . I'm hot blooded so usually I only have on gloves, head scarve and a down jacket . You learn real quick to gauge which way the wind is blowing if you use a blower ! I usually angle plow to both sides of the road once and hit it with the blower . Sure beats trying to find room to stack it . I can throw it about 75' feet or more .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, Al must be kicking back enjoying the sausage he has stashed at the ranch by now. Or he is out blowing the snow back to get in and out easier.:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The snow came down pretty much all day ! I just got done setting up a new Snow Plow blade on the front end of the tractor . Holy Cow ! That thing works great and will cut down a lot on plow time .

Tomorrow its back to building more cabinet space for the wife !!!:w00t2: