• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Goodbye teflon

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am done with Teflon pans. I have gone through three moderately priced teflon pans in the last four years. Every single one of them has become scratched and the coating has flaked off, no matter how careful I am with them (wood & plastic utensils only).

I bought myself a Lodge Logic pre-seasoned cast iron skillet (12") as my main piece of cookware. I also have a couple of 6" and a 10" skillets as well as a chicken fryer and a dutch oven that I need to get the rust media blasted off them and then re-season them for the rest of my cooking needs.

I have plenty of experience using cast iron in the past as well as at the fishing cabin. Both my grandmothers use it every day, and I have used it regularly when I was in Scouts.

I doubt I will go back to teflon coated pans....they are a piece of crap these days.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Funny you just brought this up. I was cleaning one of our Teflon pans and thought it was pretty scratched up. Looked at the whole set and same thing. I got a bright idea and though that would be a good fill in for my wife for Christmas. Well probably more for me since I do most of the cooking but she is great at cleaning up.

But a question for you Dave, if you are going back to cast iron what about the clean up time and expense versus the Teflon? Seems to me the cast iron can be a bitch to clean.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
But a question for you Dave, if you are going back to cast iron what about the clean up time and expense versus the Teflon? Seems to me the cast iron can be a bitch to clean.

I have never had a problem cleaning up a well seasoned cast iron pan. A lot of hot water and a plastic scrubbie do the trick. I go by the theory that if I can't get it off with five minutes of cleaning, it's not likely to come off the next time I am cooking. Once the pan comes up to temperature while cooking, it's sterilized anyway.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have two non stick pans by ScanPan. Now these aren't cheap by any stretch as the induction ready with 7 layers of different metal alloys. These are not Teflon coated but a ceramic and have held up well with no cracking or chipping regardless of metal or wood utensils. They are also classed as green pans what ever that means. At any rate as I said I have two only a 8" and 12" fry pan that I use for only a few foods such as eggs, etc. I much prefer cast iron myself for frying or browning meats with everything else just multi-ply stainless steel by various makers. Again though I have and induction cook top so copper and aluminum can't be used as well as not all stainless steel. I have an old Wagner 12" fry pan in cast iron that belonged to my grandmother as well as a 12" grill pan by Lodge and a square one by Emerilware. Also a couple of enameled cast iron stock pots. Cast iron is still the best for most cooking.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny you just brought this up. I was cleaning one of our Teflon pans and thought it was pretty scratched up. Looked at the whole set and same thing. I got a bright idea and though that would be a good fill in for my wife for Christmas. Well probably more for me since I do most of the cooking but she is great at cleaning up.

I simply clean out the pan while still hot and don't touch it with soap unless a very mild one. I season mine with lard also as that is nothing but bacon fat. I season them in the oven by the way. I find cast iron as easy to clean as stainless steel as long as they are done while still hot. Let them sit and it becomes a much different story however. I also do most of the cooking at home.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
When we first were married (ancient history), I bought my wife a set of Stainless Zani. They are works of art. My wife never used them because she didn't want to ruin them.

So then I bought her a set of Cuisinart Stainless the next year, maybe 1983 or so, back when they made premium stuff. Now she uses both sets extensively

For cooking soups, the only thing she uses is ceramic coated steel pots, which she brings back from Poland when we go.

She uses cast iron stuff for certain veggies and stews.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I simply clean out the pan while still hot and don't touch it with soap unless a very mild one.
I do the same thing. I plate my offering then grab the long handle stiff nylon brush. The pan is put under hot running water, and it's like deglazing the pan when making gravy. Everything comes off in a matter of a few seconds, then I recoat the pan when it cools. I love my cast iron pots & pans & dutch ovens.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing beats Lodge CI!
I just scrub mine clean, then coat them again with a little oil and keep them stored in the oven.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't oil mine at all but place the pan back on the burner as soon as it gets clean to speed up the drying as well as make sure it is. My Wagner hasn't needed re-seasoning now it 10 years. I have also done the same with my Lodge Cast iron wok as well as my carbon steel pans.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't oil mine at all but place the pan back on the burner as soon as it gets clean to speed up the drying as well as make sure it is. My Wagner hasn't needed re-seasoning now it 10 years. I have also done the same with my Lodge Cast iron wok as well as my carbon steel pans.
Joe, we've discussed this before on NCT.
I too place mine over low heat, then allow it to cool before I oil it and store it.
So far, no problems.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I just never use oil for seasoning of coating in my cast iron is all. The only time I put oil in them is to cook with such as peanut oil in the woks. I find if the lard is done right it will seal the pan for a very long time, stopping any rust from forming.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife has never had a problem. She uses drive through. We know dinner is ready when the driveway alarm goes off. Just as good as a stove timer going off.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Teflon is the only way to go IMHO. I can put an egg in one.. and slide it around. It won't stick. And clean up? There is none. It's so clean that there is nothing to scrub. Just a squirt of soap and a sponge wipe and a rinse. Heck even the water beads off. And it's dry and ready again.
As far as flaking off and getting scratched..
I have overheated them.. and it breaks it down.
Then it comes off the pan.