• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old Age and Memory

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been noticing an increase in the number of times I forget where I put things, people's names, how to start an appliance, here function keys are on the keyboard, etc.

I was always somewhat absent minded but it's getting worse as I age.

I do keep my name address an a contact person in the event I get really lost. Hopefully I will remember where it is.

There is a note that says, "This is Franc. Do not feed him candy but you can give him hot chocolate or single malt while you call his mommy."

I took Prevagen for a while. But I honestly cannot remember if it worked.

I think I have zeroed in on the source of my problem but I doubt there is much that can be done. My doctor is concerned but he has no answers, at least for the moment.

I think it is probably how I programed my brain to work and remember things. Back in the 60', 70's and 80's the best technology we had were 8 track stereo recorders and players. Ancient technology nobody can fix.

I suspect my problem is that some of the tracks just don't play anymore.:bolt:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I hear ya loud and clear Franc because Linda is going thru the same thing!! She sometimes repeats something she said 5 minutes previously and forgets something I've told her 1/2 hr earlier. We just try to work thru it as best we can. She reads a lot as she's always done and works word search games on her phone to try to keep her brain working.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My last Dr. appointment I talked to my Dr. about the same thing. I am more forgetful and more scatterbrained than I was when younger. I asked the Dr. if this was something to be concerned with. He said no. He called it cognitive ageing. And he suggested to do things to use my brain like word games or reading etc. But cognitive ageing gets us all as we go into the later years.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like me. I was diagnosed with short term memory loss after my accident. I have a hard time remembering names dates appointments etc. Which is why I keep all my appointments on my phone with reminders set. I also use a notepad app to write down things I have to do so I don't forget. I know it happens when you get older but I'm only 42.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like me. I was diagnosed with short term memory loss after my accident. I have a hard time remembering names dates appointments etc. Which is why I keep all my appointments on my phone with reminders set. I also use a notepad app to write down things I have to do so I don't forget. I know it happens when you get older but I'm only 42.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Yep, I use those same things to help me remember stuff.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking for myself I have to put all appointments on my phone or I'll space them off.
Mike

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've always been a note writer so I don't forget things.
I too keep things jotted down in Samsung notes, and days marked on the phone calendar.
My handbag is a sea of post-it notes.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
About 10 years ago I needed a root canal and heard a message from Dr. King that you can take a little blue pill get your dental work done and wake up remembering nothing. I called and asked about it and decided to joke around a little when she asked me what was wrong i said I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up remembering nothing. She chuckled and hung up on me. I had to call back. Marty