• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seeking slant six info (tucker repower)

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have time to go scrape up a number on there slant six bell housing..

I have a 1542 with a 318 5 speed.

I have a 1979 slant six engine. I am entertaining installing the slant six into the 76 tucker.
I would like to keep my 5 spd.

I was *told* that the old flat head six bell housings fit. (they do not)
I was also told the flywheels fit... (they do not)

If you have a tucker with a slant six 5 speed combo, I need/want to know any numbers stamped in the bell housing. "if the motor is older or newer than 74' might matter"

this tucker is getting repowered.
it will either be a 4B with a IH T-19 four speed.
Or
1979 slant six gas.

Yes a smarter person would rebuild the 318 and get on with life. I am interested in a more difficult path in life...:whistling:

a smart person would buy a crate motor and put an auto tranny in it -----so you could hit hi gear---------a six with a stick ----hi gear going down hill maybe----just sayin

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike the six will use the same bell housing as a 318 the flywheels will be different because of how the engines balance I love they slant six they are bullet proof but do lack in power there are some performance modds out there for them so have fun

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I have one I set aside a few years ago in the junkyard 225 six with a 5 speed with emergency brake drum on the tranny. I could look for numbers on the bell housing next time I'm down there. Don

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one I set aside a few years ago in the junkyard 225 six with a 5 speed with emergency brake drum on the tranny. I could look for numbers on the bell housing next time I'm down there. Don

Well with dons input I might be ok.... they (the bolt pattern ) do look round, but I am hesitant to pull it out Just to check as it runs and moves now.

So I will source a flywheel and give this a go.

Loggah get a price on that setup (if it is still there)

In regards to the crate motor.....
Crate motor + Auto trans sounds innocent.
all this leads to,
welp.... Might as well have fuel injection, shift kit, decent exhaust.
My missions creep out of control pretty quick.
then of course I will need to upgrade the drive train, hell all this work to rub shoulders with a buddy while grooming, hell it needs to be a sedan!

Yeah I will just keep it simple aaaannnddddd in Third gear...:wink:
all night long.

Did I mention Cheap

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will be sorry grooming with a slant six compare to your 318. If your grooming in 3rd with the 318 you will be in second with the slant lots of revs. Love my slant on the 1443 but you need to turn the rpm. 3rd in my 442 with 283 was do everything gear loads of torque everywhere. Slant on same terrain no much less power.

3rd is my slant gear but hills need some good speed and rpm planing if you don't want to stop and shift even that it is to the floor sometimes. Haven't hooked a drag to it yet. 4th is a down hill flat land gear only and if 5th existed don't think you could ever get into it.

I have said before and will say again miss my small block chevy tucker ..

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will be fine, if that slant six has any torque at all, It should hold its own with its brethren,
Mr 104 CI Imp (who pulls a 7'6" snow plane drag)
Mr. 240CI spryte ( who pulls a 8' trail boss)
Mr Tucker will be saddled with a 9'6" arrow head for light weight drift work and ditch filling. (on club trails)

Our main grooming happens with a 2017 case IH (def fluid sucking), maxim Locked up and chained up with a heavy boot applied.....multiple volunteer operators....

Don't mistake my laissez fare approach with this with indifference.
I do this for fun, and I am paid by the hour. I agree that there is no replacement for displacement. If the slant six doesn't work out a 4B cummins is going in ahead of that 318.
If the 4B can't move the drag, It will get a T, and become a 4BT.
All in the name of fun.
Cheap fun.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The slant six with 5 speed is no longer there !!!!!:sad::sad: I will keep my eyes open in case another Dodge 1 ton truck shows up. Don

RVR RNR

I will be fine, if that slant six has any torque at all, It should hold its own with its brethren,
Mr 104 CI Imp (who pulls a 7'6" snow plane drag)
Mr. 240CI spryte ( who pulls a 8' trail boss)
Mr Tucker will be saddled with a 9'6" arrow head for light weight drift work and ditch filling. (on club trails)

Our main grooming happens with a 2017 case IH (def fluid sucking), maxim Locked up and chained up with a heavy boot applied.....multiple volunteer operators....

Don't mistake my laissez fare approach with this with indifference.
I do this for fun, and I am paid by the hour. I agree that there is no replacement for displacement. If the slant six doesn't work out a 4B cummins is going in ahead of that 318.
If the 4B can't move the drag, It will get a T, and become a 4BT.
All in the name of fun.
Cheap fun.
Mike- I don't know if the trans. case would handle a 4B w/a "T". Only one way to find out.....:hammer:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that is a good point. what would have been the largest powerplant in the Mid to late seventies.......

I have seen those mid engine front cab tuckers with 440's so I just kind of figured the 130 hp 4B would not kill the T case to quickly.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
remember they had the big cummins v6 engines and 4 71t road oilers in the tuckers back in the day unless the hd tuckers with those engine options or 440's in them used a different t- case I would think you would be ok as long as you are smooth with the clutch I would more worry about belt stretch as I found out with my 2100 the 2704 et engine is 250 hp and 500 ftlbs of torque as opposed to the 90 hp of the original 380 na engine