• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Villa Park fire chief's drink may spur new policy

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I cant believe he didnt get tested on the spot for his BAC. Total hypocrisy.

A flippant remark about Villa Park Fire Chief Mark Duski leaving his half-drunk beer at a Lombard bar to get to a fire may lead to policy changes about drinking and operating village vehicles.
The issue came to light during firefighter union negotiations, Village Manager Bob Niemann said. One of the union leaders told Niemann that firefighters who responded to a fire in January could smell beer on the chief's breath. Duski contends that he "volunteered the information" as fire crews worked to clean up after the small fire and labeled it "small talk." No one told him they could smell alcohol, he said.
Duski said he stopped off at a Lombard restaurant on his way home. Duski said the manager bought him a beer and he was halfway done with it when the fire call came in. Duski said he didn't turn on his emergency vehicle lights until he reached Villa Park, and the fire was all but extinguished by the time he got there.
Village President Tom Cullerton said he was surprised to learn there was no written policy regarding village officials drinking and operating village vehicles. He suggested the topic might be addressed at an upcoming village board meeting.
"It's something you never really think about until something like this happens," he said.
It's not uncommon for municipalities to have drinking policies for employees operating municipal vehicles. In 2004, Naperville lowered the allowable blood-alcohol level for most employees from .08 to .02. However, union contracts for some Naperville employees allow for higher blood-alcohol levels.
Niemann said it was an "understood policy" that village officials don't drink excessively and operate village vehicles, but a glass of wine or a single beer off duty was not a problem.
Niemann said he talked to Duski about the situation, but the chief was not reprimanded.
"I got his side of the story and I got theirs," Niemann said. "I took it seriously. I don't want to downplay it, but I don't want to overreact either."
Niemann said he informed fire union officials who had raised the issue that he had spoken to the chief about the incident.
Duski said he didn't want to "assume any motivation" for the topic coming to light, but suggested the contract negotiations played a part.
"There's a lot of hard feelings going on back and forth about layoffs and pay cuts, but I don't know," Duski said.
Attempts to contact Villa Park fire union President Jamie Bickley were unsuccessful.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A good friend of mine is a police officer in Villa Park, I'm gonna have to take him out of a drink to see what I can find out!