• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel pump question

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Help! I'm stumped. 2007 ford f150. 170000 kms. 5.4l engine.

Question. .....what would be causing the following. ......

Truck starts and runs fine for months. Then I go out and it's sitting there stoned dead. Have to boost it to get it going. I run it for a bit to charge the battery (which was new in august ) then shut it off and take the key out. I can hear a clicking sound after the key is out. So I go do a walk around outside to try to identify where it's coming from. Sounds like the fuel pump is still trying to engage after the key is out. I pulled the negative cable from the battery to disconnect it. Put the charger on it for a few hours. Reconnected the negative. Now it seems fine.

Any clue what is going on? It's like the computer is trying to engage the fuel pump after the key is removed. My theory is that disconnecting the battery for a while reset the computer. Any thoughts?

Kinda sucked when I parked at the hospital and ended up getting admitted for surgery this week. When I was discharged Friday I was in pain and out in the parking lot boosting it with my wife's vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Would the filter cause the fuel pump to still cycle after the key is off and out of the ignition?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
your sure the sound is from the pump? it restarts after hooking the battery up?
be sure to turn off you air and heater next time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure. I can hear a clicking sound down below the box around the area of the fuel tank. I disconnected the battery for a couple hours and recharged it. When I reconnected battery the truck turned over about 5 seconds before starting up. I started and stopped it a few times listening in between and it was fine. That was yesterday. I went out this morning and it started up no problem. I'm just baffled as to what it could be. Seems to be only intermittent

I think Bamby pretty much nailed it. I would certainly start there and use Google as my friend. Most problems on newer cars/trucks are discussed in detail on the internet. My .02

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've tried to search for anything related to the problem. Only thing I've found was info for a 92 ford. I'll pick up a new relay and give that a try.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Common problem with the Ford "in the tank" fuel pump. I had to replace mine on 2001 F350 with the same symptom. Thump the bottom of the tank with a 2x4 and it should start right up. I did this for awhile and worked every time until I got it replaced.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Common problem with the Ford "in the tank" fuel pump. I had to replace mine on 2001 F350 with the same symptom. Thump the bottom of the tank with a 2x4 and it should start right up. I did this for awhile and worked every time until I got it replaced.

The fuel pump is working fine most of the time. The problem is occasionally when I shut the truck off and remove the key, I can hear the fuel pump still trying to engage. So far the only solution I've found is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Not a practical solution if I'm going anywhere and need to leave the truck parked for any length of time. So general consensus is the fuel pump relay? Wondering if that is what is draining the battery down in a matter of hours when the truck is left sitting.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well sounds like owning a ford is like owning a krusty I read some where there is a fuel pump control box over the top of the rear axle that is prone to failure on those new ford trucks. might I suggest getting a dodge cummins diesel and a trailer to tow the ford around with

Here are a couple of you tubes talking about the module on the rear frame that you are probably hearing the clicking noise at. My suspicion is that module is your problem and it is sticking on even though the ignition switch is off. That causes the pump to run and the battery to drain. I would also be suspicious of the relay as if it is stuck on it would do the same thing and that would seem to be more likely if the relay controls the module.

With todays cars (including the Dodges Don :whistling:) the electronics have become so complex that even the factory techs resort to replacing components in hopes that the problem is fixed as troubleshooting is almost impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPbwBEfWVO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e9KMF1_kg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
well sounds like owning a ford is like owning a krusty I read some where there is a fuel pump control box over the top of the rear axle that is prone to failure on those new ford trucks. might I suggest getting a dodge cummins diesel and a trailer to tow the ford around with
I had heard that also and already changed mine out after I bought the truck as a precaution.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I may have a look at the new one I installed to see if it crapped out already. Seems to be fine now that I disconnected the battery in order to reset the computer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time for an update. The truck has been pissing me off lately. It's fine for a few days then I go out and try to start it and it'll barely crank over.

Back to the original post. I had suspected a faulty fuel pump relay so I picked up a new one. That wasn't it. So I began thinking the alternator was faulty since the battery was new in July and I was always having to boost every few days. I brought it to a garage today to have the full charging system tested including the starter since I began to suspect that might be the problem with the relay sticking. All the tests came back OK. Except for the battery. It was rated for 610 CCA but only putting out 380 CCA. The battery came from Walmart so I headed there for an exchange. They traded it without question and allowed me to upgrade to the next size up which is 850cca. She's starting fine now. We'll see if that fixed the problem