• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tacked ATVs - Camoplast buys Tatou

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like Tatou, maker of some of the best track conversions for 4-wheelers was puchased by snow-machine giant Camoplast.

I thought about posting this in the SNOWCAT area, because it turns you ATV owners into snowcat wannabes :poke: but I figured you guys probably wouldn't visit that forum and see that your little machines can "be all that they want to be" when it comes to playing in the snow (and mud too).

6wheels.jpg

There is some pretty cool video too (click on the TATOU LIVE link on their website).

Here are some of their webpage links: http://www.e-tatou.com/anglais/pages2/3frms.htm

or

http://www.atvtrack.com/en/index.html
(they have some pretty cool video on this site too, the "Giant" system is very unique for equipping a quad with tracks too)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea ,but when you install the tracks on a ATV it takes about 20% power away from you .

Hey!!! Maybe you Snow Trac guys could finally have someone you can beat in a race :yum: . I hear at one time Snow Trac's were called "Snail Tracs ":yankchain: :yum: :moon: .

You guys keep trying to screw with me ,I just may pour a little salt on your tail and watch you "good ole boys" just melt away .:eek: :yum: :yum:

KRISTI ==== "THE KING OF KATS"

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, I'll bite; what "six wheels" are in action??:confused: First off, the picture is of an ATV with the wheels replaced with tracks. So, maybe they are talking about six wheels on the bottom of the tracks...no, that isn't right either. What "six wheels" are in action??

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Ok, I'll bite; what "six wheels" are in action??:confused: First off, the picture is of an ATV with the wheels replaced with tracks. So, maybe they are talking about six wheels on the bottom of the tracks...no, that isn't right either. What "six wheels" are in action??

Very cool!

It looks like the rear wheels of the atv are driving two rear sprockets on the "six wheel" option.

Check out:

http://www.e-tatou.com/anim/6roues/6roues_WM9_256Kbps_download_NTSC_ConstrainedVBR.wmv

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Some ATVs have 6 wheels. The photo is for a track conversion for a 6 wheeler. They have 4 wheel conversion photos also.
BigUglyAllen said:
when you install the tracks on a ATV it takes about 20% power away from you .
True, but it does give the wannabe snowcatters a way to whet their appetite before the get up the nerve to ask their wives if they can have a real toy :whistle:
more wisdom from BigAl said:
Maybe you Snow Trac guys could finally have someone you can beat in a race :yum:
Uhhhh, Al, did you forget that your best friend Caroth (keeper of all knowledge on the fiberglass bathtub you call a snowcat) stated that the Kristi company failed because the KT7 couldn't attain a speed of 20mph.

Grooming Snow

:confused2: Yea ,but when you install the tracks on a ATV it takes about20% power away from you .:whistle: That should be speed :thumb:

Because of the drive sprocket is smaller then the tire. Really the kits are not for speed but for flotation . This is where the ATV's run in problems because the ATV look for some place to run them and the more mud the better :whistle: Not Good And for snow ! Can't run them on snowmobile trails , over 48" wide , Some have been set up to groom trails but they :puke1: falling short when it come's to trail or X-country Ski trails , It takes power and weight to pull snow , Yes even a 4' groomer.
And one other problem is the drive train of the ATV just is not built to have that much tration and then BANG :pat: warrenty problems

OK the one good thing about this company is that they use a SPOCKET, to drive the track not a drum type drive like other companys , less problems with the track jumping when it pulls hard or if the track gets to lose

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I've heard from people that have them on ATV's or UTV's, there is a slight speed and power loss but not enough to be a concern.

Even if it was 20%, on an ATV that can do 70 MPH, it wouldn't be an issue.

The biggest reason they're not on more ATV's & UTV's is cost. I don't recall the exact numbers but I'm thinking tracks are over $3000.

Grooming Snow said:
Can't run them on snowmobile trails , over 48" wide
Neither can any of your snowcats... :pat:

Grooming Snow

:pray: $3,000 that would be for the cheaper one's like a kimpex . So thing like a mattrack $ 4,500 , that is one of the big reasons not may people buy them . I would say that the Tatou track is not cheap . :confused2: May be with more track kits coming out the price will start to come down !:whistle: Or may be China will get in on this market too and flood it

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have tracks on my Honda ATV. There is no gear reduction on the brand I have (Traxion by AD Boivin )

My solid rear axle machine has towed a 3000+ pound trailer up hills and dragged plenty of large trees out of the woods AND it will go 42 mph :D

One is allowed up to 52" wide on snowmobile trails in NH.

These tracks have been more than 1500 miles with no problems. They cost about $2900 for 4. In the summer I just use the rear tracks and front tires because it's easier to steer. That's not possible with the gear reduction ones.

I'll put up a picture when I find one

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why can't you use wheels on front and tracks on the back with "gear reduction" tracks? Couldn't you just shift the ATV into rear wheel drive and operate it that way?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I suppose you could do that, Bob. One of my Hondas doesn't have a 4x4/2x4 switch, though.

Attachments

• pixhondagravelW.jpg
    pixhondagravelW.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 437

Grooming Snow

Then that is what I'll be looking at :thumb: for my AC/Prowler & can't beat the price :whistle:

:mad: How! do you get them pictures to show up ? I see the (((Attached Images))) on the post but how do you do that??

I love pictures :a1: a lot easer then READING :tiphat:

Morepwr

pixie said:
I suppose you could do that, Bob. One of my Hondas doesn't have a 4x4/2x4 switch, though.

Your honda looks to be a Foreman? solid axel, fulltime 4x4. 450cc. great quad. I put 4000 hard, but problem free miles on mine before I traded it in for my Rincon 650. also proving to very well built.

I'm considering getting tracks for it for use in the snow. because I'm getting tired of paying for repairs on poorly built snowmobiles. my concerns with this plan are, do the tracks perform well in fresh, deep powder. not concerned so much with speed. just dont want to be stuck to groomed roads.

And I'm also worried about tearing up my quads drive train due to it working too hard. you mentioned that you have another quad with selectable 2 to 4 wd. does that quad have independant rear suspension . and if so. have you had any issues with it? I ask that because I tend to think the solid axels are bit tougher than the independents.

First pic is the Foreman..standing up in the back of the truck. only digital image I have of it.

second is the Rincon

Attachments

• 19s.jpg
    19s.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 379
  • P1020746s.jpg
    P1020746s.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 355

Morepwr

It's there, strapped on to the rear rack. so I don't lose it:D

I do wear a helmet when I feel it's necessary. putting around in the woods in first gear on a 100deg. day. isn't one of those times.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What's with the medieval axe in the picture?:confused2:

I'm glad your up in Bonehead's neck of the state!:whistle:

Morepwr

Tha axe is plastic, from A haloween costume. a friend brought it over to rib me about something (long story). It turned out to be quite the party favor. It wouldn't chop a watermelon, we tried. one guy was doing Viking impressions all night.. the things you find entertaining when you're hammered:burp:

Haven't met Bonehead yet.. Where are you at?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Morepwr said:
Tha axe is plastic, from A haloween costume. a friend brought it over to rib me about something (long story). It turned out to be quite the party favor. It wouldn't chop a watermelon, we tried. one guy was doing Viking impressions all night.. the things you find entertaining when you're hammered:burp:

Haven't met Bonehead yet.. Where are you at?

East of Vancouver in the Gorge. I'll send you Bonehead's address if you promise to show up late at night with the Axe!:D

Morepwr

Good looking country down there, great fishing too I hear.

I can picture the headlines now. "Seattle man Shot while perfoming a viking impression on stunned Island residents porch" Police think alcohol may have been involved...:eek:

I did a search for bonehead. looks like he's is a neighbor.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
So... what was the question ??? ...oh ya... the Honda is a Rubicon 500. Can't recomend that tracks be put on anything less than a 500. Had them on my 350 and couldn't tow much. They are both solid rear axle.... I wouldn't buy anything else. ( Manufacturers, please take note ... )

The tracks have 2000+ year-round miles on them now. I had to put some new sliders on them, probably because I didn't have them adjusted right.

How much snow you can go through will depend on the snow itsself. I've been thru 16" of new sugar snow on a packed base. Could probably go thru more if it was real powder.

Morepwr

Thanks Pixie, If I was using mine for towing 3k lb trailers. I'd probably buy solid axel rigs too...Wow! Mine are just for play though. You can certainly testify to the strength of the tracks. 2k miles with that kind of use is pretty impressive. and the slides, I would think just normal wear.

Your description of their performance is kind of what I'm getting from the many, manufacturer videos I've watched. in that they do well on groomed roads, with up to a couple feet of fresh, but not going to work in the deep stuff (with an unpacked base) like a snowmobile .what I'm trying to find out is, do they have comparable flotation to a snowmobile?

I do appreciate your experience with them. just that my intended use for them, may be a bit different.

Aaron.