Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum Major Restorations, Upgrades, and Non-Stock Snowcat Modifications

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

wakeupcall is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1963 Tucker 443 AMR Resto-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelder44 View Post
stainless is soft----out of the ? plus cats ive had ---never did a steel tracked tucker---not sure what rides on the stainless-if anything does----but stainless is soft ---wear factor----ouch----just sayin----btw did they ever make the tracks out of stainless----think
Top Welder, Stainless is soft compared to mild steel hot rolled sheet?? What?? The weight of the machine rides on the bottoms of the 4 pontoons when cat is in snow, when driven on hardpack or dirt the weight is more carried on the rollers/rails. As far as I know of the tracks were not made of stainless steel but I could be wrong. The rails are made of 1044 plow steel more of a wear bar. The bottom pans I took off were so rusted that they could not have slid very well on the snow, that is one of the reasons to try Stainless Steel.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM
User Formerly known as GlacierParkBus

Thanked 1,488 Times in 510 Posts
Pontoon Princess is on a distinguished road

steel pontoons built with stainless steel bottoms seemed to wear okay, with the said, if you choose to use your Tucker Sno-cat like a armored Tank, they would not last as long,

the company even built pontoons entirely out of stainless and again they seemed to have done just fine

and building the shoes for the fiberglass pontoon out of stainless is a good way to go and it does solve issues with the shoes rusting, hopefully, now days, we, as owners, do take better care of our tuckers than those tank commanders of years ago...

ouch, there is no prefect snow cat, they all have weaknesses...
Old 04-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Bronze Member

Here are a few pics of some small plates made for my fiberglass pontoons to help keep nose rail adjuster bolts from embedding into fiberglass. Also made some light mounting brackets for interior lights for those night outings.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Track Addict is on a distinguished road

How are you attaching them to the fiberglass? I did the same and glasses them in but I think mechanical fastener of sorts and glassing up to the face leaving the metal contact surface exposed would have been better.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Addict View Post
How are you attaching them to the fiberglass? I did the same and glasses them in but I think mechanical fastener of sorts and glassing up to the face leaving the metal contact surface exposed would have been better.
Track Addict, On two or three of the adjuster pads on pontoons it appeared to me that at one time or another they must have used the adjuster to hold nose in place, there were big holes broke through the pontoon. Filled the holes with some type of fiberglass wannabe filler but took to long to harden. So there is not anything to mechanically attach to unless I build a different steel piece, so I found some 2 part fiberglass epoxy that claims to bond to steel. Just did get 4 of them epoxied in place and it acts like it will work good as long as I just use the adjuster to tension track I believe it to be good . Time will tell. Left the face of steel plate bare. Kinda trial and errorat this point but definately 110% better than i had! Hope to get to paint phase this summer, would like to see this cat back in color. Wakeupcall
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Track Addict is on a distinguished road

I had some punched though also and I think not tightening the 4 nose nuts after adjustment enough had a lot to do with it. Some star internal or external lock washers may be better for biting and hold over the standard locks that are stock. On the nose rails anyway.

My steel plates have held so far but the fiberglass on top did not.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Good to know, I too had considered fiberglassing over the top. Guess We will try steel with a little orange paint on top. Thanks for your input .