• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Snow Is Leaving Fast

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
What is the last use of the snow cat when the snow is about gone? You plow out the local roads. :thumb: Our daytime temps have been in the upper 50's and I gave up trying to run the snow cats and snowmobiles any longer this year. It has been the least amount of snow in many years at our home. I know the video is not great as my camera is good for still shots, but we decided to try a video with it. Here is the VMC plowing out the neighborhood cabin roads on Monday. We are driving the 4X4 trucks in and out about a 40 days early this year. :4_11_9:

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/mtntopper/Snow%20Cat%20Movie/?action=view&current=VMCPlowingByBecks.flv

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This year we also had the least amount of snow since I have been here. Usually we have snow till March or April. Oh well at least the weather is great for doing some work on the snowcats.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If it were not the last storm we got a little more than a week ago we would only had a couple of inches. we got about 23" a week ago and most of that is now gone except where it had drifted or is protected from the sun. We do work every year for the State for Wildfire season and they are saying this could be worst since the 70's we will have 4 tracked rigs for fire fighting ready for standby before long. Mtntopper want to come out and run one?:thumb:
We could always have Pigtails be the camp cook:fart2: that way she could practice that poster you have on a good wife's duties:multitask

nutsster

I flew across Colorado today from Kansas City on my way to Oakland and was shocked at how little snow was in the Rockies. It looks like spring will come early this year with the warm temps of late. March, in the past has been the best snowmobiling month. It doesn't look like snowmobiling into May this year. We usually get some good snowfall in March, but there isn't any on the radar. It was a short season with the late start.:4_11_9:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had 70 degree(F) temps the other day, this morning we had 1/8" of an inch of snow on the ground. The ground is not frozen, but the snow is still visible in the woods, melted everywhere else. Really strange weather!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Global Warming. Yup the scientific team that was in Antarctica had to cancel their mission due to the weather was TO COLD! -100 below zero temps outside. Inside their tents showed -57 below zero. They were getting frost bite. YUP Global Warming what a crock! The weather has always changed. Sometimes its warmer than other times and sometimes its colder.

nutsster

I agree on the global warming crock. :thumb:

The weak winter this year hasn't left enough base to withstand a long warm spell for us. The highest elevations will keep snow before we get another storm which should extend the snow into April or even May.
On average we had a pretty cold winter, just way below normal snow fall. :letitsnow:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Actually we had a colder than normal winter just not alot of moisture.

In much of Wyoming it takes warmer temperatures to create the proper conditions to make it rain and snow. Our winter was colder with less precipitation and much shorter on snow cover. Now with the sun higher in the sky and the longer warmer daylight days, it makes it almost impossible for the snow to stay on the ground very long. I just hope we get lots of rain to help keep things green and to prevent the large fires through the long hot summer that will be here soon.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well this morning I opened my front door with a steaming cup of hot joe in one hand. Outside was a Winter Wonderland. 4" of fresh snow had fallen last night while we were asleep. Its a slushy wet heavy snow with a icy base. What a diffrence a night makes.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's is this? The first hint of Spring and everyone Bails? This is why Ex Telephone Company and Ex Power company Snow cat's are the best ones to find. It's like the Lawn Mower; once it snows it goes into the garage it get's forgotten about until spring! Where's 'Big Al'? Readership on the Forum has dropped 400 % in just the last 24 Hrs? Of course you couldn't prove it by looking around here. From the road to my office I see can do a 360 Degree viewing and count 15 or more Snow cat's all operating. Spring may have sprung where you-all are, but not here! I Get back to me on that matter in about 2 months!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Good Morning Lyndon,
I trust all is cold and blustery where you are! YUP us that live in the realm of the LOWER 48 are experiencing something called the beginning of Spring. The fun is over for us. Time to open the garage doors and do our annual maintenace work on our Cats. Well some of us at least. I am currently as you know rebuilding mine. Now to figure out what color I am going to paint her. I just "may" just let my wife figure this one out. Most likely not though. Anyway so Spring time is a good thing for some of us. Take care and watch out for them BEARS!