• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lightbars, Strobes, Rotating lights . . . who has one?

Do you have a Lightbar, Strobe or other warning beacon on your snowcat?

• Total voters

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is another thread running that discusses lights on snowcats.

mtntopper has a full "lightbar" on one of his snowcats and an amber "strobe" on another. Have you thought of adding something like this? Do you have one already? Has the added visibility been a real benefit to you in some way? It guess the real question is what are you using the snowcat for that would make the lightbar a real benefit to you?

In my case I drive mostly through farm fields and see no use for me to add one. I have, a few times, taken the Snow Trac out on the roads, and thought a lightbar or strobe might have been useful to bring attenion to it, but it is very seldom that I am on a roadway that I'm not sure how to justify the cost.

For those of you who have auxilary warning lights like these, could you post some photos of how you wired them in? Show us the control boxes or switch arrangements, etc. How much power do they draw.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 393
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 394

Eric L

Site Supporter
I like mtntopper's light bar, but they're kinda pricy for my budget...waiting for a deal to come along at the same time as I have some xtra $$$

Eric

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eric L said:
I like mtntopper's light bar, but they're kinda pricy for my budget...waiting for a deal to come along at the same time as I have some xtra $$$

Eric
A local police department offered me a free light bar off of one of their old squad cars since they upgraded to low profile LED light bars. I admit that I've thought about accepting the offer, but really can't figure out how to justify it. I would have to swap out the red & blue flashers for amber flashers to be legal if I accepted the light bar and installed it on a vehicle, and that really is the main reason not to accept it. The cost to change it over is pretty high. I could actually buy a cheapo lightbar on eBay for the cost to change over the police issue light bar.

Eric L

Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I could actually buy a cheapo lightbar on eBay for the cost to change over the police issue light bar.

Not knowing the model of said lightbar... Cant you just change the lenses?

Eric

Edit: P.S. I want to stay away from rotating lights becaue they seem to make a lot of noise that will transfer through my aluminum cab and drive me crazy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can a non-SnowTrac member join in this thread? :hide:

On my RTV, I use a small Ecco strobe. Here's a link. It's pretty bright but the reasons I got this one are:
- Compact unit - less apt go get hit.
- Magnetic mount - Quick detach (so I can fit it on the one garage or when I'm in a situation where it could get smashed.
- Plugs into lighter (but my lighter is on a switch).
- Cheap - At $55-65, I'm not going to cry if/when I do break it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Can a non-SnowTrac member join in this thread? :hide:
Sure Brian, we will let you in on this thread. I suppose this could apply to off road utility use vehicles of all types.

But my questions to you: WHY & WHEN do you feel the need to use the strobe?

Eric L said:
I want to stay away from rotating lights becaue they seem to make a lot of noise
Interesting point.

BTW, the replacement lenses are expensive for lightbars! Seems like you could part these things out for about triple the price of a new lightbar.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
WHY & WHEN do you feel the need to use the strobe?
1. Anytime I'm on a public road or on the shoulder.
2. I use my utility road at some events for parking and other event support. I keep it on all the time during these events.
3. Anytime I'm in the woods/trails at night or low-visibility when other riders are in the general area.
4. When my 5-year old son wants to play with things. The light is right up there with the airhorns in his book.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The 1500 LMC snow cat with the full light bar is not mine anymore. I purchased it with the light bar as it was used by a search and rescue unit in cooperation with law enforcement prior. I would not spend those kinda of $ for my needs. A simple strobe or high quality rotating light is sufficient for my needs as an amber warning to other vehicles.

My reasons are varied for the use of an amber flashing light system on all of my snow cats. I have one that is a rotating magnetic mount and use it as a temporary on snow cats without permanent warning lights. I use my snow cats near closed roads which are not really closed to traffic and are used by highway type vehicles. We have a county highway and a major state highway that we must cross or parallel at times with the snow cats. We have open snowmobiling areas near our home and on the forest service where we also run our snow cats. I use the strobe as a warning to other vehicles and snowmobiles that I am a slow moving large vehicle. I think it is just a good way to prevent a possible injuries and or a lawsuit if some one runs into me while in the snow cat.

If you are competing with other types of traffic, you need the amber strobe/rotating light warning device. Many times I only turn it on when I see other traffic and do not leave it on all the time. It gets the other drivers attention that we are not a highway vehicle. Do not follow that snow highway behind me with your big Dodge 4X4 as it will sink out of sight....:yum:, and I do not do vehicle rescue for stupid people....:eek:

79bombi

Site Supporter
I have thought about a rotating light but have not installed one. One reason for not is not drawing attention from our local law enforcement as I am not legal on roads. If I am on the roads there is usually enough snow to slow others down.

I just purchased a Ventrac and am thinking about a safety light for blowing snow but am reluctant to drill into the Rollover Bar.

I did install two forward facing 50 watt Hellas on my Bombi which are far superior to the factory front lights. I also put a rear facing tractor light on the back that is always on so I can see to back up.

79Bombi

IM000674.jpg

picture from when bolt holding pionion gear decided to back off

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OFF TOPIC, pardon my interruption ...

79bombi said:
I just purchased a Ventrac and am thinking about a safety light for blowing snow but am reluctant to drill into the Rollover Bar.
I've got a Ventrac 3000. Great little tractors. I didn't seriously consider the 4100 or 4200 series tractors because I also have a couple other tractors. But the Ventracs are amazing machines. Climb like a goat and stable on side slopes too! :thumb:

Now back to the Lightbar/Strobe discussion thread ...

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I even have a siren to go with the flashing red lights!!!! Mine can go over 75 MPH.... can yours???

Attachments

• EMS3A.jpg
    EMS3A.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 368

alaska741

we use a strobe light on our bv206 along with tail lights. Here in alaska it's dark all winter and we run on a lot of trails that the snow machines use. We are traveling a lot slower than snow machines run so it's a good safety factor. Also we can drive our machine on the hiway if needed.:thumb:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here in Colorado comercial Cat skiing operations are required to have a yellow beacon flashing when operating. We run one for the liability aspect. If a slow moving and well lit snowcat collides with a high speed snowmobile who's fault is it? I like the strobe type better than the rotating light because I think it uses less power and doesn't seem as dizzy at night.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll be adding a light bar to my KT4 . It will be a search and rescue rig .I am still undecided how much lighting the KT7 will have .It actually came with a pretty good setup of lighting .

I can see why mtnflopper would want a flasher on his rig . It will make him much easier to find and tow back to his playpen with my Kristi .:yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen, because your unit will be used for Search & Rescue you may be able to get a free lightbar from your local Sheriff's department (or whoever is the agency in charge). They probably have a surplus unit from an old squad car.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I'll be adding a light bar to my KT4 . It will be a search and rescue rig .

Yeah, BigUglyAl, I would go for the free light bar as it will triple the value of that old used up KT4 when you are finished with the restoration. :yum: :eek: :moon: :thumb: :whistle: :wave:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Yeah, BigUglyAl, I would go for the free light bar as it will triple the value of that old used up KT4 when you are finished with the restoration. :yum: :eek: :moon: :thumb: :whistle: :wave:

They have also offered a mobile radio . I definately want the big gold sheriffs star on each door .

:confused2: triple the value huh???? wow . I might have a real winner !!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it was offered to me, and I never formally accepted it, but my new lightbar just arrived. Courtesy of the Vill Park Police Department. The officer who dumped it on my floor also gave me all the old control boxes and even the old wires that were pulled out of the squad car. He was laughing pretty hard and shaking his head too, seems that he knows all about the Snow Trac and my adventures in the farm fields. Made a comment about arresting deer and feral cats.

It has independant controls for the right & left alley lights, front take down lights, and the strobes. It also has a yellow bar directional arrow that can be set to direct traffic to either side of the vehicle.

Now I'm not sure what I am going to do with this :confused2:

But it sure is BIG! :pat:

Attachments

• 155069135109_3300.jpg
    155069135109_3300.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 155070235269_3300.jpg
    155070235269_3300.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 328

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Now I'm not sure what I am going to do with this
Looks perfect for interior lighting in the snowtrac :hide: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:
It'll really brighten up that Hawaiian interior :whistle:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, if you dont want it send it my way, that is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while! Reckon it'd look good on the ole tractor :yum:

I want to see your 'trac done up all police stylie :D You guys American cops wear hawiian shirts and stuff in the films, it'd suit you a beaut Bob :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Mith, what would the London Bobbies say if you drove through town with red & blue flashers on your tractor?

On a side note, I just looked up this lightbar to see what the heck it really is and it turns out to be a Federal Signal "Vector" bar with Real Signal Master and new it sells for $1179.98 plus shipping! YIKES.

On the bright side, if I switch it over to "amber" dome lights, it looks like it will cost me less than I had originally been told. So I'm still clueless on what the heck to do. I'd put a straight style unit (like mtntopper had on his LMC) on my Snow Trac because I know that would easily fit, but this thing is 48" wide by 28" deep by 9" tall and I don't know if there is enough free space on the roof because there is a large sunroof on the top of the Snow Trac.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Mith, what would the London Bobbies say if you drove through town with red & blue flashers on your tractor?

Bob, probably something along the lines of 'I say old boy, it would be rather ripping if you could remove oneself from the torrent of motorvehicles following your machine. We might have a whimsical discussion over a nice cup of earl grey down at the station, you are causing quite a stir young sir!'

However, if I were to be driving a snow trac, and wearing a hawiian shirt they may just choke on thier afternoon crumpets in surprise, or maybe squirt ones tea out their noses in a rather ungentlemanly manner! The ladies might just giggle so hard that they rip their corsets, which ofcourse would be extremely unladylike!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Well it was offered to me, and I never formally accepted it, but my new lightbar just arrived. Courtesy of the Vill Park Police Department. The officer who dumped it on my floor also gave me all the old control boxes and even the old wires that were pulled out of the squad car. He was laughing pretty hard and shaking his head too, seems that he knows all about the Snow Trac and my adventures in the farm fields. Made a comment about arresting deer and feral cats.

It has independant controls for the right & left alley lights, front take down lights, and the strobes. It also has a yellow bar directional arrow that can be set to direct traffic to either side of the vehicle.

Now I'm not sure what I am going to do with this :confused2:
Holly
But it sure is BIG! :pat:
Holly chit, :yum: :yum: :yum: ......The Fuzz has arrived.....You are official now.....:yum: :yum: :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I think something like this 21" wide Federal Signal Mini-JetSolaris would fit a lot better on the small Snow Trac roof area in front of the sunroof. Its LED so it would have minimal current draw, there are no rotating parts to freeze or seize up. But unfortunately it is more expensive that I'd be willing to pay. It is available in Amber, which would be appropriate.

But, its not quite as aerodynamic as the Vector, so it might slow down the Snow Trac a bit:drive2::whistle:

Attachments

• Mini-Jet SolarisL.jpg
    Mini-Jet SolarisL.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 237

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
But, its not quite as aerodynamic as the Vector, so it might slow down the Snow Trac a bit
So tell me, how do you slow down something with the aerodynamics of a brick? :hide: Lack of power to compensate? Where's BigAl when I need him.:blahblah:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
So tell me, how do you slow down something with the aerodynamics of a brick? :hide: Lack of power to compensate? Where's BigAl when I need him.:blahblah:

Mortar ! Lots and lots of Mortar:yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I may have just arranged a trade???

A guy I know has a Federal Signal Streethawk, he may straight up trade me for the Federal Signal Vector that I now have. The advantage to me is that the Streethawk is a 3 piece modular design. The version he has is a 48" unit, which includes all 3 pieces. By removing the center section of the Streethawk, I would end up with something that would be roughly 35" wide, that would fit much better on the roof of the Snow Trac.

He said he'd let me know later in the week if he wants to make the trade. His also includes the red & blue flashers, so no matter what, I still would have to convert the lightbar over to amber.

Attachments

• 541112_a.jpg
    541112_a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 205

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I have done a bit more digging around and I am going to put a simple single amber dome STROBE on top of the Snow Trac. Some of these fancy lightbars draw 30 to 50 amps of power when you are running all the lights and do dads. While I have a 95amp alternator and soon will have a dual battery set up, there is no reason to tax the system to the maxiumum!