• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finally got the garage started!

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog:: Don't forget some kinda Floor Drain. i'm sure you have this new garage well thought out...Looks Great..Byron:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I love the Board & Batt siding . It will only look better as it ages to ! Great choice !I shot mine with Chevon Shingle oil and it is holding up nicely . At $6 a gallon its a whole lot cheaper than anything else and looks great , wears well . I pressure wash and reshoot my place every 2 -3 years .

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you considered going higher.....say 12ft walls. I've seen allot of guys build a garage then kick themselves in the butt later thinking they should have gone just a bit taller on the walls.

Plus, with a taller ceiling, that'll leave more room to hang any game animals after a successful hunt.

Ceiling turned out at 13'4" +/- 2", depending on the pour for the floor.

Great pics Dawg, err I mean Mrs. Dawg.
I noticed the loft was open all the way, were you planning on an opening above the garage doors? Now is the time to frame one in. Just in case you'd like to load something in the loft from outside. Like your bed. Just in case you piss the Mrs off :clap:

Yes, there will be large double loft doors with pitched corners. They covered the opening while siding with the hemlock. It will reappear with doors.

Big Dog:: Don't forget some kinda Floor Drain. i'm sure you have this new garage well thought out...Looks Great..Byron:whistling:

There will be a drain for each bay. One of the reasons I went with coarsening the walls was for wash down.

I love the Board & Batt siding . It will only look better as it ages to ! Great choice !I shot mine with Chevon Shingle oil and it is holding up nicely . At $6 a gallon its a whole lot cheaper than anything else and looks great , wears well . I pressure wash and reshoot my place every 2 -3 years .

Al that means a lot to me, you were a key element in this project. It's been awhile since you did the original plans and I took the time to do some refining while stashing a few more $$$'s. I eliminated the stepped truss enabling me to go clear span. It also gave me a little more head room in the loft.

I know you and Bob wanted me to go with log siding and it was a tough decision and cost ended up being a non-factor. My desire is a "barn" look and I just never saw a log barn. Most barns in this area have a cement or block base with board and some with batt. I wrestled with this for quite awhile because I know how knowledgeable your are in construction. The wife and I just like the B&B look in this application, thanks for understanding .... :smile:

Thanks also go out for my HVAC council, Murph and electical/lighting pro, Jerry. Thanks for helping with my project garage, something I've wanted for a long time! Just goes to show you the value of friends and a well run forum!

I guess it qualifies as a FF garage!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The weather isn't cooperating. Thursday they set the man door, ran some soffet/fascia and built the loft door minus some batt. Friday I wouldn't have wanted anyone working, just too damn cold.

Took a iPhone photo of the front so Jerry can see the loft doors ........ :biggrin:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 74

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Outstanding!!!!!! It looks GREAT!!!!!!! I love that siding. :thumb: :clap:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thats one fine looking building Dawg , Well planned as well . Thanks for sharing the pics , Bob

Bamby

Looks really nice and I'm sure it will be filled soon. What about heat for winter projects and long cold dreary days. My brother had garage that was close to that size and he end up framing a good size room in his so he could keep it comfortable easily and piddled around in it all the time.

Excellent job.
Enjoy

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about heat for winter projects and long cold dreary days.

Thanks to Murph, going with the recommendation of 2 vented 45K btu gas heaters. I'll install them some time in the fall. Free gas here .............. :biggrin:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks to Murph, going with the recommendation of 2 vented 45K btu gas heaters. I'll install them some time in the fall. Free gas here .............. :biggrin:

I am glad you are doing it in the fall and not now to use to cure your concrete. :thumb:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While away they managed to pretty much get the garage exterior complete short one window and some batt. Floor is going to have to wait for weather to break. We will work on utilities as time and weather allows. My son just sent me some pictures ..... oh boy!

Attachments

• 100_1358.JPG
    100_1358.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_1360.JPG
    100_1360.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1362.JPG
    100_1362.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_1365.JPG
    100_1365.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1359.JPG
    100_1359.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 121

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Man that looks great. What kind of flooring are you putting in?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man that looks great. What kind of flooring are you putting in?

Ceement .............:biggrin:, hadn't really thought about the loft just yet. It will remain OSB until I get up there ......... :wink:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I figured it was cement but was thinking you would do it with one of the many finish such at this one http://www.epoxy-coat.com/ It is very similar to what I have on my storage spaces here and it holds up well over time. It also resists stains.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope I hired a contractor for that. My manual labor days are long past. :wink: Oh and ours is by Armstrong but the same basic idea. There are several different manufactures of this stuff as well as the stick down tile floors. I saw some of the black and white square type at some of the NASCAR site when in North Carolina. Those places always look spotless even when cars are being built.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't answer that as the floors here where put down years before I took over the place.

3MT

BD, that is one sweet man cave. I really enjoy watching the progress of projects like this. Do any more work on it recently?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, there's about 28 inches more snow now than in the pictures. The next biggies will be pour the floor and the electric.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All progress stopped due to the weather (almost 5 weeks of nothing, too cold to pour a floor) BUT floor was just poured 3 weeks ago, sealed a week later (took forever to dry) and they just finished the stairs and odds and ends last week. The weekend after they finished I wired 60 receptacles, I ain't use to working off the top of a 12 foot step ladder. Pretty much on my own since.

Last week's evenings the priority was hire work. Pulled a well pump for my neighbor and hauled limestone for 3 driveways. For my projects this weekend, I dug 180 foot of ditch with the hoe and filled her up with 2B for garage drainage, set the power panel and stapled wire.

I'll continue with the wiring and I hope to dig for the power feed and get hotted up by next weekend. Next pictures will have a significant change in appearance. BTW ........ my lights came in Friday, 2 having damage to the reflectors. I'll be negotiating with FedEx, I'm pretty sure I can salvage them if I can get a few bucks for the trouble, if not I'll just have them replaced at their expense.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wall insulation tomorrow and then drywall ........ :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 62

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You could herd cattle up them stairs, those are real (Amish) 2 x 10 ..... :brows:

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG