• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ice Queen went off on a course!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had an email to ask why I hadn't posted lately - well I am back! I have been away for a week on a course to make a forge and learn about mig welding and oxy/acetylene cutting, great fun, but didn't do my 'creaky bits' any good, but I have returned with a forge and a blower, now all I have to do is get some coke and set the whole thing up! Great fun, highly recommend it!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That does sound like fun. Any pics to share of your creations?

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Will take a photo tomorrow, too cold and dark to go out now, also it is blowing a gale and the bogey man might get me in the dark!!! Even Timba was too cowardly to go out tonight!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
all I have to do is get some coke

See! Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with the Snow Trac crowd. The poor girl now has a coke problem!

It's bad enough that she is the "Ice" Queen now she's looking to buy some coke!:whistle:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, I need COKE!!!! In the meantime, here are some grotty pictures of the thingy that I made, for those of you who are interested. The white box in the last picture contains the blower, but I haven't had time to assemble the whole lot. I need to build a shelter for the forge outside as there is little room in the workshop as you can see, also it would become rather smokey and all the sparrows who roost in there would develop coughs! Also I NEED COKE!!

Attachments

• Forge 001.jpg
    Forge 001.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Forge 003.jpg
    Forge 003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Forge 004.jpg
    Forge 004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 122

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK looks good so far. But I have to ask. What are you going to do with a forge?

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Do some forging!!!! Very useful for bending large pieces of metal etc. I aim to do some scrap sculpture and have a bit of fun along with serious uses - can't have too many tools!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
check your closest coal fired power plant for coal scraps - or at least ask them where you can buy.
try centaur forge for tools you can't make.
quick google search brought up coalminer.com - 50lbs of coal for $40.
and this link off a blacksmith forum page: http://www.appaltree.net/aba/coal.htm

good luck!

as to what you can do with a forge besides having a lot of fun making bad smells and noise?
i used to make eating sets, big meat forks, campfire tripods, the occasional knife, boar spear, etc... (yes, I used to hang out with some odd folks)

you can coke your coal by making a "windbreak" around part of the fire and occasionally soaking it as it heats - this will bake some of the impurities out. (water keeps it from igniting too soon) the other thing this does is give you a good ready source of fuel to feed into the fire. I know it's a bad explanation of the process, it's been 10 years since i used a coal forge - the last time i was working black metal was on a propane forge and that's still been longer than i like to think about being away from it!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, I will come back to this when I can think straight after all that information. I live in a very rural part of Wales and there are no coal fired power plants here. I have asked our local coal merchant for the small coke needed, but he hadn't a clue. I now need to contact our local blacksmith to see if he has any information, if not I will go to the college in Hereford, England ( which is about 100 miles away), where they teach blacksmithing etc. and see what information I can get there. As for tools, I have most of what I need, but I do thank you for the information you supplied.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Wales - now that's some countryside I'd like to see some day!

sorry, I was thinking you were in the US, where coal is a bit easier to find not the UK. Converting coal to coke really is just a process of heating the coal enough to "cook" out the impurities without getting enopugh air to it for it to actually combust.
Hard anthracite is the best coal, soft bituminous will leave you the most clinkers and slag. (think black, foamy glass at the worst)

If your blacksmith can't help you find good coke, try charcoal to get you started.

if you can't find a good supply, charcoal is easy enough to make - just time consuming. It's also a better fuel source due to the low level of impurities. (you can also use cooking briquettes, but they leave a LOT of ash) with forced air, you can even hit welding temperatures burning plain wood, but it goes away fast.
Basically, the denser the wood, the hotter it will burn. (historical trivia -- charcoal made from willow was considered the best/purest for a lot of uses despite being a "light" wood)

historical reenactors are another source for supplies. the NFPS (if they're still around) or the Jorvik viking center might give you some information on how it used to be done as well as sources for fuel.

good luck and don't forget pictures of projects!
:)

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Have had a word with our local farrier and he was very helpful and gave me the proper name for the coke I need - washed breeze (strange name). The only problem is the availability unless I want it in tons! The Herefordshire farrier's college was unable to help apart from a phone number, which I have yet to contact. The main problem seems to be that I only want a small quantity. I will keep you posted - hey Red Rocker, doesn't your wife understand you???!!!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe you can get the contact info for a couple of their customers and head over there with a bucket? Just a thought. :yum:

RedRocker

Have had a word with our local farrier and he was very helpful and gave me the proper name for the coke I need - washed breeze (strange name). The only problem is the availability unless I want it in tons! The Herefordshire farrier's college was unable to help apart from a phone number, which I have yet to contact. The main problem seems to be that I only want a small quantity. I will keep you posted - hey Red Rocker, doesn't your wife understand you???!!!

Yeah, probably too well. :bonk:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Oh, I don't know - a ton of coal would have you well set for the holidays."here's your lump of coal, and your lump of coal, and..."maybe next year the "youngsters" in your life would be better behaved!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I don't know - a ton of coal would have you well set for the holidays."here's your lump of coal, and your lump of coal, and..."maybe next year the "youngsters" in your life would be better behaved!

Last I looked there were over 1,700 of us. Think of how much postage that would be much less how would she find that many little boxes?

Jim

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have phoned the number I was given in Herefordshire and they do sell the washed breeze in 25 kg bags and as I am heading that way at the weekend to go to my daughter's for Sunday lunch on Mother's Day, I shall pick up a couple of bags. I cannot collect more as it has to go in the back of the car with Timba and she might not like sharing the back of the car with it! Next thing I need to do is clear out the old railway carriage shed and make a proper home for the forge so it can be used..........that is going to be a major job......will post a picture of the problem tomorrow!

stal108

Ooops I forgot I was on someone else's computer and haven't posted under my own name, but this post and the last on is by Ice Queen not stal108.....................sorry!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never tried to buy the 'nasty white stuff' so I wouldn't really know. Having gone to Herefordshire to buy my three bags of this wretched stuff and brought it back - I hadn't even unloaded it out of the car this morning when I went to our local feed merchant to get animal feed and guess what?>>>>>>They had got me five bags of washed breeze, so now I have eight sacks!!!!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am running out of excuses, so I will have to clear the chicken shed out and turn it into a smithy!