• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Acid dipping metals (to clean them)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I asked a friend to let me dip some brass and copper in some of his acid "stuff" to clean it.

Instead of putting it in his vat, he gave me some. Directions were verbal and I have no MSDS.

The instructions I got were to mix this "stuff" with 5 parts water.

Rules are:
Clean spills.
Don't get it on you.
Rinse items with water once done.
Don't let it touch anything organic.
Don't use on aluminum as it eats it.

Can anyone elaborate?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Can anyone elaborate?

Don't drink the Kool-Aide. :drink:

Actually, are you sure it is an acid? If it is a powder, I'd be willing to bet it is a caustic soda (a base, the exact opposite of an acid). I'd make sure to wear goggles (GOGGLES, not just safety glasses), chemical resistant gloves (elbow length) and perhaps a respirator while working with the raw material.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't drink the Kool-Aide. :drink:

I'd make sure to wear goggles (GOGGLES, not just safety glasses), chemical resistant gloves (elbow length) and perhaps a respirator while working with the raw material.
DAMN!

Too late on all points.

It's a liquid. If (when) you get it on your hands, it does burn but doesn't seem as bad as sulfuric or hydrochloric if I recall.

It doesn't taste very good. Kind of like Jack Daniel's with a penny in the shot.

I did wear gloves (thanks TOM L) but nothing else, although I was careful.

Things have been sitting. Not sure if I'm doing a good thing or bad but much of the stuff I put in that was brass "colored" is now copper. It's all over 75 years old so I wonder if it was originally copper but along the line, dipped in brass.

humor_me

I asked a friend to let me dip some brass and copper in some of his acid "stuff" to clean it.

Instead of putting it in his vat, he gave me some. Directions were verbal and I have no MSDS.

The instructions I got were to mix this "stuff" with 5 parts water.

Rules are:
Clean spills.
Don't get it on you.
Rinse items with water once done.
Don't let it touch anything organic.
Don't use on aluminum as it eats it.

Can anyone elaborate?

bczoom,
Our family has many years experience dipping musical instruments in the various types of acid baths. I agree with all the advice except the rinse. Please use a rinse bath of baking soda (Arm and Hammer) and water.
Water alone is good enough - possibly for acetic acid (vinegar), but the more serious acids need the soda for safety.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
bczoom,
Our family has many years experience dipping musical instruments in the various types of acid baths. I agree with all the advice except the rinse. Please use a rinse bath of baking soda (Arm and Hammer) and water.
Water alone is good enough - possibly for acetic acid (vinegar), but the more serious acids need the soda for safety.

I always thought it was baking powder that you used to neutralize acids, not baking soda.