• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mini batwing mower

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I started this project back in June, and am finally making it towards the end. Just a few details to finish off now.

I wanted a mower that was wide enough to cover the tracks of the Wheelhorse (54"), would cut rough grass and brush, handle junk going through it, and also be able to fit though a garden gate (to get to gated areas).

So I came up with the idea of a mini batwing mower, folded width 30", opened 56".

I used parts mainly from old Wheelhorses to make it easy to get parts over making my own, but would still be strong enough.

The bar sticking up is threaded rod, you turn it to change the cut height

Similar thing for the front hitch, turn the bar to change the height

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Electrics, go to a control panel on the tractor. The throttle and choke go on there too, but I havent bolted them on yet, hence the clamp and hand. 2 wingnuts and the box comes off for when you unhitch the tractor. using a removable unit like that it means you can use the mower with and vehicle with a tow ball.

And how it is (roughly) at the moment.

I need to connect the throttle linkage and create some spacers to lift the engine so the belts are tighter. Then a test to see if it works, then I need to put the skids on the side and the guarding on.
If this works as I hope it I can see this being a very handy tool

Currently have about £10 in steel, £60 in the engine and £12 in cables. The rest of the stuff is from my extensive collection......

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wonderful use of the mind! Now I got a few questions.........

How much do you reckon it weights?

This leads to .......

Will the mower wheels not leave tracks?

Would there be anyway to mount them in front of the blades?

I'm a little concerned about the high profile of the motor. Mounting I think will be tested when this thing gets in rough terrain. Just some thoughts, I ain't no engineer.

Nice work Mith!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Reckon it weighs 150kg or so (approx 300lb+). Doesnt matter if it leaves tracks, its going to spend its life cutting paddocks, wont be going on lawns. The idea is to use it for cutting real long grass down to about 4-6".

I drove it across a 15 degree hill and it was stable, I'm quite happy with how stable it is, I thought it would be real tippy, but its pretty good. Also, when its down there will be skids on the end of the wings, if it tips too far they will just hit the ground so it wont roll over.

The wheels are a similar width apart than a small riding mower, and the CoG is similar (think how high the weight of the operator is on a riding mower) and they are realtively stable.

BoneheadNW

Currently have about £10 in steel, £60 in the engine and £12 in cables. The rest of the stuff is from my extensive collection......
Mith-
What is that in $?

By the way, I notice in one of the photos that you have all the fingers on your right hand in tact with no burns!
Bonehead

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
About $150, but remember everything is more expensive here.

Actually, you see that pink bit by my knuckle, thats all a scar. And the first finger (on the lever) has a bit smashed off the side, by a blunt axe. Still looks OK though, and yep, I do have all my fingers and toes :D

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
I'm a little concerned about the high profile of the motor. Mounting I think will be tested when this thing gets in rough terrain

I just went back and re-read this comment. I figured you were talking about the thing tipping over. Is this so?

Also forgot to add, thanks for the compliments

I got all the control cables for the engine done today, and after a little carb work it fires up and runs on the key. I'm not daring enough to engage the blades yet, maybe tomorrow......

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
About $150, but remember everything is more expensive here.

Actually, you see that pink bit by my knuckle, thats all a scar. And the first finger (on the lever) has a bit smashed off the side, by a blunt axe. Still looks OK though, and yep, I do have all my fingers and toes :D
I looked at the picture of your hand again. There does seem to be some "second generation" growth there.

How long is the grass you are going to cut? Will it be so long that you will have to worry about pushing the grass down with your towing tractor before the mower can cut it?
Bone

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
I just went back and re-read this comment. I figured you were talking about the thing tipping over. Is this so?

Not so much tipping over (although a possibility) but when it gets to bouncing around are the mounts going to hold over time.?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The mounts survived me jumping on them, but I'm still a little unsure about the long term. The threaded rod is just over 3/4", and thats taking the brunt of the force. I had 5/8", and that stripped, so hopefully the 3/4" will hold out.

Fired her up today, got a vid. Video

DSCF0856.jpg

DSCF0855.jpg

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, there doesnt seem to be much interest, but hey, I'll carry on with the pics.

I've put skids down the sides of the blades to stop them digging in over bumps. Sure seems to work just fine.
I chewed up some brambles with it today, did a fine job of it too.
I've put the air filter and such on it now too, and mowed for about 10 mins. Havent got much grass left, its mud season......

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

jwstewar

Are you planning on putting some type of deck or shroud around those blades? Those would scare me out spinning in the open like that?:confused2: Other than that, it looks pretty cool though.

beds

That is frickin' awesome! I didn't see the 3rd cutter in the centre until the last pic. Really a nice project, Mith!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I've got a sheet of stainless steel that I am going to rivet over the blades to the underside of the chassis so stop stuff getting thrown up. The blades spinning in the open scare me too.

Thanks

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice work Mith. It looks powerful with that BIG motor on there. How many HP is it?

daedong

[FONT=&quot]Jim, great job. I know safety is an issue but guards on mowers cause a huge loss of power or drag so try not to cover the sides with sheet if you can help it. Links of chain is a better option than plate around the edge.
[/FONT]

BoneheadNW

Mith, just curious- why skids instead of wheels? Wont the front edges of the skits get caught on roots or whatever?
Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, would a plate over the top cause a power loss? I was going to leave the front and back open, and I was thinking about leaving the sides open. A plate on top would be nice to stop stuff flying into the engine, also it throws clippings about 2-5m up, it would be nice to keep it down.

Jay, I used skids for the smiplicity, and they are harder to break. I bent the front ends up to stop them getting caught so much. The tractor has got the power to rip it through most stuff. I also dont think I have any small wheels that would take the weight of the mower. I'm not planning on using it on any kind on nice lawn, so damage to the ground doesnt matter.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I've stripped it all back to the chassis to fit the guards and weld on the rest of the bits proper. I also widened the rear wheels 4". Nearly done the middle blade, welded the skids on, but the welder packed up before I finished the last few welds. I also cut the sheet of stainless for the guard ready to be riveted on after paint. Just gunna test fit it all, and give it a spin before a nice paint.

Pic shows the chassis with the extra bits welded on. Also a great opportunity to show that I do do some work :yum:

Pic.jpg

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
For the safe people, guards!

I havent fully attached them yet, as I want to paint the chassis before I do that (the colour gunna be sweet as, no idea what colour its going to be, just said to order the brightest one he can, I'm kinda hoping for lime green or bright yellow :lol: ).

Gunna rivet around the edges to stop it flexing, but it is sandwiched between the blade spindles and the chassis where the spindles bolt on. Now that I have widened the rear wheels it tows real nice, and its as solid as a rock on side hills. Actually looking at the pics the rear wheels look a bit pissed, have to check they are all in line tomorrow (though who knows what I'm gunna do about it, its all welded solid :D)

Am ever I dying to get that paint on and it tested out proper! :D

Presentation2.jpg

Presentation1.jpg

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Like the colour?

No-one gunna say they didnt see this coming!

15-10-06_1154.jpg

Worryingly, the paint is the second most expensive part of this project! And its brush painted, so it looks pretty crap up close :D But it wont come off :yum:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, its not too bad. Need to get on the laser cutter and make some plastic end caps for those open tubes, that'll improve its look alot.

Putting it back together

15-10-06_1455.jpg

BoneheadNW

Mith-
WARNING-DUMB QUESTION
Considering that you are going to use this thing in long grass, how does one ensure that the drive belt(s) do not slip? Also, how are you going to transport the mower to areas outside your property (I'm assuming that you will need to)?
Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
They are black cover (-high grip) V belts, and are under tension, so it'll take a bit of work to make them slip.
On all the driven and driver pulleys the belt goes around atleast 180 degrees, so there should be lots of grip on it.
On mowers where the belt reguarly slips its usually becuse the belt only goes around a very small portion of the pulleys.

To transport we have a big van that it will go in, or depending on distances I might hit the road (and as many verges as I can) and hope the police dont come along. I know the back routes, and can get alot of places with very little road travel.