• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bending back bent bar.......

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a bent bar, that needs bending back.
The picture sows how much it is bent out by, and the circle shows the area where the bend is.
The bar is about 1/2" thick.
Now the tricky bit. The 2 arms sticking out the sides must not be bent.

The hammer wont tough it, and I dont want to get the BFH out as it might bend the 2 arms. I'm thinking a little heat from a forge might do it maybe? Just warm it gently to make it a bit easier to bend back?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• bent (Small).jpg
    bent (Small).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 78

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Put it in a vise up to the point of the bend. Put a pipe over one of the handles ( the longer one?) and bend it back. Try it first, to be sure the arm doesn't bend. If it looks like it might, add heat to the equasion. A map-gas torch will be enough.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
Put a pipe over one of the handles ( the longer one?) and bend it back. Try it first, to be sure the arm doesn't bend.

I think I would stabilize the arms at the intersection in a vise and try to bend the longer piece back to meet the others. I'm afraid the arms would give before anything else.

But I was wrong twice, I'm on my 3rd wife

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
If anyone is interested, I cut into the outside of bend with a hacksaw, to take away some material, bent it back easily, and rewelded the cut. Took about 5 minutes. It works one again.

Thanks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
I cut into the outside of bend with a hacksaw, to take away some material, bent it back easily, and rewelded the cut.
I never would have thought of that. I think I would have beat on it for a while, got pissed off and then set it aside. Probably tried some heat too, and burnt my hand. Your way sounds better.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I never would have thought of that. I think I would have beat on it for a while, got pissed off and then set it aside. Probably tried some heat too, and burnt my hand. Your way sounds better.

Mith did use some heat....he left it out on the road yesterday in the sun. :eek:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
The best part of your solution is that you didn't compromise the weld at the intersection. Beating or bending would have weakened the connection.

BRAVO....:burp: