• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Building Construction -- Clear Span pole barn

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is anyone familiar with SOCKET SYSTEMS building system?

This looks easy enough for me to try my hand at. :tiphat: I've always wanted a covered pavilion and from the looks of this, its sort of a no brainer.

Thoughts?

http://socketsystems.com/

Is this just a gimmick, are there other similar systems that I am not aware of?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He had a metal frame system.

This system just uses metal joints and standard lumber.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks very cool. Bob, why don't you set one up and report back on how much work it was and what the real cost was!

;)

OkeeDon

I first discovered socket systems on TBN and there have been several discussions; the most recent was just a week or two ago, in "projects": thread
Also here

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I've used metal hangers and such in many buildings, in fact, all I've ever built to one extreme or another. They were no where near 3/16" . All made by Simpson Strongtie, USP, or similar maker. I see no reason why these wouldn't be reliable. And for someone that doesn't do it all the time, they'd most likely be fine. But I think the cost is rather high. I looked at these a number of years ago, but never bought them because of the cost. If you're doing for yourself, give a shot, and let us know how you make out. This system definetly has a place unless you're trying to make money by building for someone else.:tiphat: :coolshade :beer:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
From an engineering point of view, I'd say the product looks sound, however you are definitely paying a premium for the speed and convenience.

The cost of hardware
per GAMBREL ROOF two column frame
is $305.00
(with 2nd. floor wide open.
Second floor systems are optional and
priced separately).

If you build the roof structure at 8' O.C. and have a 60' long structure, this is almost $2500 in brackets alon, not including the ones for a floor if desired.

I have seen roof trusses available for as low as $25 each (refused shippments, wrong builds, etc) and spaced at 2' O.C., this would only run you about $800.

Hmmmm....with trusses though, you need to rent a crane.

I dunno.....I need a :drink:, but the antibiotics tell me not to. :mad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, the thing I see with this system is that I might actually be able to do it without having some added experienced people around to do most of the work. My construction skills are modest, I can help frame a house, I can help do a lot of things, bit I am not the expert.

For something like an open sided structure, that is bascially just posts with a roof on top of it, this system might cost a bit more than stick built, but it is also a system that looks like I could actually get the job done and we could end up with an open sided covered picnic pavilion or similar structure. Given the winter weather conditions now, nothing is going to be built in my back yard!!! But in the spring, it might be something I could handle. I also want a 3 sided implement "run-in shed" and this again looks like it would work for me for that type of a project. I share implements with a trusted neighbor, it would be easier for him to get them from a run in shed than from either of my garages because generally any implement needed is the on parked BEHIND all the un-needed implements!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

For either an open sided pavilion or an equipment shed, as long as you stay in some sort of rectangular shape, it's quite easy and I honestly don't think you would need that system. I've built a couple for myself, by myself... In the "show me your workshop" thread, the 10x50' 3 sided building in the back, I built by myself in a weekend. I only had a 2nd person for digging the post holes, tossing the tin on the roof and hanging the hardypanel (just cause that stuff is too darn heavy to handle yourself).

Now, if you want to get fancy, you may want some help. Here's a pic of the roof section of an open air hexagon shaped pavilion we built for a friend. It's 32 or 36' across.

Attachments

• MVC-279F (2).JPG
    MVC-279F (2).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 33