• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GM Plans $300M Ohio Electric-Car Investment in Feud With Trump

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
GM Plans $300M Ohio Electric-Car Investment in Feud With Trump
Thursday, 21 March 2019 06:01 PM

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/gm-ohio-trump-investment/2019/03/21/id/908117/

General Motors Co. will announce on Friday plans to invest $300 million in a suburban Detroit plant that builds electric and self-driving vehicles for Chevrolet and the automaker's self-driving Cruise unit, two people familiar with the plans said on Thursday.

The largest U.S. automaker is expected to announce it plans to build a new electric compact vehicle for Chevy, said the people, who asked not to be identified.

GM executives also will formally endorse a revised North American free trade deal known as USMCA, the sources said.

GM declined to comment.

Company executives are expected to make the case that the new EV — originally considered for one of GM's Chinese plants — is being built in the United States because of the new trade deal that is still awaiting approval by the U.S. Congress.

GM has come under harsh attacks from President Donald Trump over its decision to end production at its Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant.

On Thursday, the company said company executives would be joined at the Orion plant by United Auto Workers union Vice President Terry Dittes and government officials to announce "a major new investment focused on the development of GM future technologies." GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is expected to make the formal announcement, which could add hundreds of jobs.

The new Chevy vehicle is based on the same compact architecture as the Chevrolet Bolt EV and the Cruise AV that are assembled in Orion.

The Orion Township plant is slated to begin building a new generation of electric and self-driving vehicles, using GM's dedicated BEV3 architecture, but not until 2023, a third source said.

GM said a year ago it would invest $100 million to upgrade the Orion Township plant ahead of commercial production of the Cruise AV in late 2019.

Rival Ford Motor Co. this week said it planned to expand its Flat Rock plant outside Detroit to add production of electric vehicles. Ford's first self-driving vehicles will be assembled nearby at an as-yet-undisclosed location.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Every GM vehicle I have seen lately loses parts and pieces every time it hits a bump in the road. I am quite certain I will not be putting my life into their hands getting into one of their self driving monstrosities.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't say a bad thing about Generous Motors.
If I do, tow boy son says " but Mom, they brought back the Blazer"
And???
:yum:

Bamby

I just have to ask, does anyone else think they're shooting their wads off in maybe the wrong direction.. It hasn't been established that the public is ready for electric automobiles in general let alone taking them out of the drivers seat on top of it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I just have to ask, does anyone else think they're shooting their wads off in maybe the wrong direction.. It hasn't been established that the public is ready for electric automobiles in general let alone taking them out of the drivers seat on top of it.

Amen, amen and amen again brother. Electric vehicles are a joke. Up here electricity is 16 cents a kWh. Where is the savings in that over 2 dollar a gallon gas? Range of an electric car sucks. Even if one could instantly recharge, which they cannot, it would still require a pit stop every 100 miles or less.

I have maintained for years they are nothing more then a niche product and after all these years nothing has changed.

I prefer to drive my hybrid pickup truck. It runs on gas and oil. :yum::yum:

I love fossil fuels!!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
From where is all this extra electricity going to come?

Can't build coal.

Can't build nukes.

The sun only shines half the time in Michigan, and probably most places, just by nature of daytime vs nighttime, and then there's those pesky clouds in daylight.

And then the high pressure system where there's no wind at all for days on end. And it's usually no wind at night

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Electric cars have small market niche for soccer moms and short commutes. At this point in time I just can't see them as an all around vehicle. As for autonomous cars I guess I'm just too old to bring myself to trust a computer to do the driving. When I reach the point of not being able to drive I'd rather trust a younger person, say maybe 50.
Mike

Bamby

I could maybe see a market for something on the order of a two seater moped thats capable of running 40 mph or so for running around town, errands, or even work for some people. I would't even mind one if it were legal and priced within reason.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally I want nothing to do with self driving anything...

I use GPS steering all the time farming. Is this technology ready for prime time? Asks a Boeing 7373 Max 8 or 10 pilot.... Failed electronic components in a system the pilots were not told about. The truth of the matter is that electronic components can and do fail all the time. We see this in framing all the time, things fail... In the case of a large commercial jet lots of people end up dead.

TO build a car capable of driving itself can be done, but not well enough, and safe enough. This is yet another attempt to take away another right, the right to drive your very own car. Some day some one may decide for you were and when your car will drive you any were.... Why doesn't anyone else see it this way, when it is SO VERY CLEAR to me?

Regards, Kirk