• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp restoraation...sort of.

AzMike

A few months ago my dad and I picked up a Thiokol imp 1404 to use in a Alaska hunt next fall. As a hobby we collect and restore classic tractors so we couldn't help digging into this beauty. Here it is as we got it.

DSC_0241.jpg

We are not going to do a true full restoration. We are just going through all the mechanicals and fixing what we see then cleaning everything up for a paint job. One of the first things we wanted to do is get the fuel tank out of the cab.

DSC_0577.jpg

Here is what we made. By our math it should hold about 20 gallons and is half the weight of the steel tank.

IMG_20101130_134806.jpg

More to come.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
You have excellent fabrication skills. It looks like you are doing this right. Here are a few pictures of how this was done from the factory.

Attachments

• figure 4-9B.jpg
    figure 4-9B.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,683
  • figure 9-11.jpg
    figure 9-11.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,686

AzMike

Got a little more done over the weekend. We finished the fuel tank. the top of the tank is also the mounting plate for the deck. That part is made from .125" thick 6061- t-4.

DSC_0640.jpg

One of the few places that had real damage to it was the passenger side floor board. It looks like the track picked up a rock at some time and ran it through the front.

DSC_0291.jpg

No real heroics needed here. Just a patch. It will all be covered up later.

DSC_0641.jpg

snow dog

I see many snowcats being used in Hunting with little snow. The metal tracks can not bridge over large rocks without breaking. The as the track rotates the broken grouser tears up the floor.

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
So you guys are doing some real nice work on the gas tank mod...but I was wondering...how difficult is it going to be to do future u-joint repairs in the future...can you easily pull that drive line??

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I see many snowcats being used in Hunting with little snow. The metal tracks can not bridge over large rocks without breaking. The as the track rotates the broken grouser tears up the floor.
ive seen alot of them run summer and winter mine is one of them one does have to stay away from river bottoms and stay on soft ground the ground between my camp and the road wont support much atv traffic which is the reason for using the snow cat where creeks and hard ground exist that's what i have a jeep for .

AzMike

So you guys are doing some real nice work on the gas tank mod...but I was wondering...how difficult is it going to be to do future u-joint repairs in the future...can you easily pull that drive line??

It is a little of 3 handed job holding the tank up and fishing the drive shaft in. we also have a smaller tunnel for the gear shift rod. We had to cut and sleeve it so it will bolt back together after everything is together..

AzMike

It has been a little while since I updated. We have been doing some minor body work and getting ready for paint. Like I said before we aren't going as far as I would like but this is a quick and dirty resto. Here it is after the primer was applied.

DSC_0823.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

DSC_0820.jpg

Now the fight between me and my dad is to get the interior professionally spray with a bed liner or do it our selves with an auto undercoat.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
from what ive herd of from the thiokol the undercoating is what thiokol used and it pealed off you might want to try some of that roll on bed liner the stuff is real tough and also cost efective

AzMike

For a "quick resto" that is some real fine work:thumb:

For reference, my Dad and I collect a and restore antique and classic tractors. Here are a few pictures of a 1948 Allis Chalmers G I did a few years ago.

DSCF0657.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0678.jpg

DSCF0691.jpg

This Crawler was miss February in the 2010 Classic tractor calender. It was also a featured tractor on classic tractor tv on the RFTV channel.

allis10.jpg

I am used to doing a much more thorough restoration. It's hard not to feel frustrated, but this is more of a utilitarian restoration

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
nice crawler we have one just like that paint is faded but still in about the same condition i will have to look up pics of it they look like nice little tractors

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks sweet, but what I really like is the little AC crawler tractor photo. Clearly restorations are a labor of love.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice restoration and glad to see you were able to save the old AC. I'd love to find an old Oliver crawler tractor to restore. Then again, if I did I think my wife might have a few choice words for me. She says we have too many toys already.

AzMike

Pulled the interior out again and sprayed a do it your self bed liner product call Shake and Shoot. You can get it tinted and sprays quite easily.

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

Now it it time to put it all back together and get all the in-cab wiring figured out.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
That is looking real good. Nice job on the "sort of Restore". You really did alot of cool fabricating on the tank. Thanks for posting the pics

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
snowcats are addictive, nice work on the tank,maybe a driveshaft loop or ring out of steel to keep the shaft away from the aluminium tank in case of u-joint falure?:biggrin:

AzMike

We were lucky enough to have storm come through this week so we loaded her up and headed to northern Arizona to test her out.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-GCObywItxM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AzMike

We had a storm come through this week so we loaded her up and headed north.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-GCObywItxM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[ame="http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCObywItxM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCObywItxM[/ame]