• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Good question.

So far, from the research I see, the vaccine is still expected to be effective against the new variants of Covid. So the key will be to get to Herd Immunity via a combination of vaccines and the % of previously infected people. Once we get that combination up to an unknown % (numbers seem to vary between 70%-80% of the population who have gotten either the vaccine or the virus) then we will see this fade away. Or so I gather.

Of course nobody actually knows. What we do know is that there is a disease that is real. We also know there is a political group that is doing what they can to use the disease to control people. We live in interesting times. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.
The problem I see coming is like the yearly flu it has mutated. Historically flu vaccines are around 70% effective due to it, so if it mutates every year and we are constantly chasing the mutation with a vaccine,( right now the experts say the vaccine will still work on the current mutation ) but at some point everyone is going to have to accept that like the yearly flu we are going to have the yearly COVID. I hope it mutates to a milder form.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh oh!

Moderna Vaccine Not Effective Against "Mutant" South African COVID Strain, But Works With UK Variant

BY TYLER DURDEN
MONDAY, JAN 25, 2021 - 9:31
Moderna's latest trial data includes some good news...and some bad news.
The good news is that the biotech company's original COVID jab is effective against two mutations of SARS-CoV-2 which were first isolated in the UK and South Africa, respectively.

The bad news is that, at least when it comes to the South African variant, Moderna's jab is much less effective than scientists had expected. That's a bad sign, because it suggests the vaccines might not perform as well, particularly in elderly patients, or that the immunity they provide might not last as long, as various strains of the virus continue to mutate.

Here's some more details from the FT:

Laboratory tests show Moderna’s Covid-19 jab still works against the variant named 501.V2, which emerged in South Africa, and B.1.1.7, which was first discovered in the UK, the company said. But it warned that the neutralising antibody response to 501.V2 was sixfold lower than to the original variant, raising concerns that immunity to it may wane significantly, particularly in older people.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good video from Dr John Campbell today.

New variant may be more deadly according to a Biden transition team doctor.

Already established it is more contagious.

Dr Campbell issues a warning that roughly 6 weeks from now the US and Canada will be facing a serious Covid crisis due to the new variant. It i the strongest warning I've heard from him thus far. His reports have been typically more accurate than not so it seems replan for this and stay healthy.

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry.PG, but I've come to believe the dr's in the white house and other places dealing with the virus caught a transmissible disease. LYING!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the Moderna. It’s what was available. I took it. My arm is already sore, but I’m sort of wimpy and complain a lot. I’d have preferred the Pfizer but I’d have to wait, possibly until mid-late March. Not worth waiting.

I’m not worried about the 2nd dose causing a reaction.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
2nd dose done an hour ago.
Now I'm DONE with COVID-19.
Our facility has been free now for quite some time, I'm not hearing anything more about actual cases in the area.
I suspect within the next few months it's going to disappear just.like.that.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2nd dose done an hour ago.
Now I'm DONE with COVID-19.
Our facility has been free now for quite some time, I'm not hearing anything more about actual cases in the area.
I suspect within the next few months it's going to disappear just.like.that.
Did they say when you will actually have a high level of immunity?

I'm hearing its about 3 weeks from the date of the 2nd shot but I'd like confirmation.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still waiting for the first. It looks as if it may be well in to March before it happens. Still hanging tough.

Get on a waiting list. Do they do that in Texas.

I'm 60 and my state vaccinates people over 70. But if there are extra doses at the end of the day that are thawed out, rather than waste them the clinics call people on their waiting lists. First come first served. If you get a call and can't make it they go to the next person on the list. Anything is better than dumping the vaccine in the trash at the end of the day. Once it is thawed it MUST be used or it MUST be discarded. So all the clinics here will have a few doses left over because someone didn't show, etc. There were at least 5 extra doses yesterday at the clinic where we got our shots. I'd guess there was more like 15 'extra' doses that were given out, but I was able to confirm a least 5 just through casual conversation.

That is how we got ours. Got a call at 3:05pm yesterday. Had to be at the clinic by 3:50 on the other side of the county. I'm not going to admit that I did 90mph on the interstate to make it in time but I will say we pulled into the lot with 1 minute to spare.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Did they say when you will actually have a high level of immunity?

I'm hearing its about 3 weeks from the date of the 2nd shot but I'd like confirmation.
10 days - 2 weeks.
I think I've already had a high level of immunity.
I mean every person practically got it, except for like less than 10 of us staff members.
That said, since the mask wearing I've not had my usual bad respiratory infection this year either.
Hmmm ?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Get on a waiting list. Do they do that in Texas.

Yes they do. We are on two waiting lists. We registered as soon as we heard about it but there were still thousands ahead of us. The third is administered by NETHEALTH, which is the North East Texas Public Health District. They announce an incoming shipment of vaccine and you have to wait until they open registration next day to try to get on their list. You have to be waiting, type fast and hit enter to have any chance. Their list fills up in 5 minutes. We almost made it on that one today ... but not quite.

It'll just take time but we'll eventually float to the surface. It is a little frustrating though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were on a list for 8 days and got the call.

Apparently some places in our area the waiting list is very long, in other places its much shorter.

Honesty I think we just got lucky.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've searched but as far as I can tell there is no waiting list for the covid shot for us buckeyes. They are only giving shots to those over 75 as far as I know. It was 80 last week and they lowered it to 75 I think. Our son and his wife had covid a few weeks ago, around the 1st. Now our granddaughter who is 13 and lives in Cols has it. So far her parents have tested negative for covid. Still seems to be going strong from friends and relatives I hear of with covid. Glad it's clearing up around your area PG. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
President Biden is hoping that that the USA will get up to 1.5 Million vaccinations per day. We have exceeded 1 M per day for 4 out of the past 8 days. The average is slightly below 1 M per day.

Dr Fauci is very worried about the SOUTH AFRICAN variant of Covid as the mutation seems to be very different than the other variations of the virus. The S.A. variant is far more contagious than any of the other variants and there is growing evidence it is somewhat more lethal than the original Covid and the other variants. That is still not proven but evidence is mounting.

With a higher infection rate, and with multiple variants now circulating in the US, it is estimated that "herd immunity" will kick in about 80%. There has been much controversy over the Fauci statements about the levels needed for herd immunity. But I think there is enough science out there that 80% seems to be a good enough number to talk about. Honestly, for us folks on the street if its 75 or 85 it is really inconsequential. The US currently has about 20% of the population who have been infected & recovered, and about 0.5% who have had 2 vaccine injections. Probably another 1 to 2% have gotten 1 of their vaccinations. So any way we look at it, we are a very long way from herd immunity, no matter if you think the herd immunity kicks in at 50%, 60%, 70% or higher.

California & Illinois are REOPENING parts of their states just as the new, more infectious South African and Kent/UK variants are beginning to become more prevalent. It is likely there would be some civil unrest in some areas due to lockdowns as people are starting to revolt over the lockdowns, some out of desperation.

A new drug is now showing it can stop covid infections. I can't find the name of it, but it was showcased on WGN9 TV news this morning, the initial study was nearly 100% successful in stopping spread inside families/households where at least 1 person was diagnosed with Covid.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've searched but as far as I can tell there is no waiting list for the covid shot for us buckeyes. They are only giving shots to those over 75 as far as I know. It was 80 last week and they lowered it to 75 I think. Our son and his wife had covid a few weeks ago, around the 1st. Now our granddaughter who is 13 and lives in Cols has it. So far her parents have tested negative for covid. Still seems to be going strong from friends and relatives I hear of with covid. Glad it's clearing up around your area PG. :thumb:
Henry county just put an announcement in our local paper that the health department has stopped new appointments for those needing the vaccine.
Daddy DeWine has said that the curfew will END if the numbers stay as low as they have been.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The trend among states to reopen is problematic. I believe they should have reopened some time ago. But now with the U.K. and S.A. variants we should reconsider a lot of precautions. But given that so many are broke and weary of lockdowns and mandates it’s not a politically opportune time to ask for cooperation. People are fed up with cooperation, their businesses are bankrupt, jobs are lost and homes are going into foreclosure because the states waited too long. But we may be on the cusp of a wave larger than anything we’ve faced and people need to be free so despite the virus even liberal states are ignoring science.

US States Ease Lockdowns Despite "Mutant" COVID 'Boogeymen'

Even as President Joe Biden challenges Americans to a "100 day masking challenge" and other mask-related restrictions on federal land, some of the biggest states in the US (including ultra-liberal California and swing-state Michigan, among others) are going their own way, resisting calls from the Biden administration to go heavy with masks and lockdowns, which have - as we've noted, seemingly made no difference and lack scientific basis.​
Perhaps it has something to do with the WHO's admission that PCR overamplification may have led to the "Case-Demic" that "conspiracy theorists have long warned about.​
But whatever the case may be, recently, liberal governors like New York's Andrew Cuomo appeared to recognize that the economy needs to reopen, and quickly. Even Cuomo acknowledges that the holiday spike is fading.​
Notably, the spike in cases from the pre-holiday period is already beginning to subside. This, coupled with all of those warnings about a post-holiday case surge, had led to suspicions that the American public has been gaslighted - or at least intentionally misled, by federal authorities intent on doing whatever they can to tarnish President Trump's legacy.​
Meanwhile, and possibly related, vaccination rates worldwide aren't off to a great start - while reports of healthcare professionals and others who refuse to take it have been rolling in.​
Yet, despite liberal leaders' sudden post-inauguration interest in reopening, they seem to be ignoring the new boogeyman - the new "mutated" strains from the UK and South Africa, which have caused a good deal of panic among public health officials (whether warranted or not).​
And since the US has administered fewer than 25MM vaccines, more of these COVID "variants" are setting off alarms - causing vaccine maker Moderna announcing the development of a 'booster' shot to protect against both mutants.​
Teachers' unions, meanwhile, are increasingly opposed to lawmakers pushing to return to in-person instruction within 100 days.​
According to Northwestern University epidemiologist Sadiya Khan, who spoke with Bloomberg, "We’re just asking to go backwards by easing restrictions without focusing on achieving herd immunity with vaccination." The doctor is an epidemiologist at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago."It’s very fragile," she said referring to the COVID economy.​
Perhaps things would be less 'fragile' if Democratic leaders' sudden push to reopen didn't have the most suspicious timing in the known universe, and California (and other states) were more transparent about whose 'science' they're following.​

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
As I have said earlier in this thread, the distribution of the vaccine to rural East Texas communities has been slow. That may be beginning to change. At least one County Judge, hopefully with others to follow, has petitioned the Governor to increase supplies. The logic behind it is that rural counties have a larger percentage of elderly and retired people per capita than do the larger population centers. That is certainly true of our county. We'll see what happens.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know why but when I checked on Tuesday, Indiana was in the top 10 states for vaccinating its citizens. Technically we are only vaccinating people over 70 + first responders, critical workers, medical staff, etc.. But apparently we are somehow doing a pretty good job overall. The governor announced he expects to lower the age to 65 soon. Illinois, Michigan & Ohio all have vaccinated a lower % of their population than we have. Again, I don't know why we are doing well, just know what the data showed on Tuesday when I took a look at it.

I do know that TEXAS was actually THROWING AWAY the 'leftover' doses at the end of the day. I understand that policy in Texas has changed and there are now formal waiting lists. I was informed that ILLINOIS was also THROWING AWAY their 'leftover' doses at the end of the day. I hope that policy has changed. Honestly no clue what other states are doing. I got information through relatives in those states.

Here in Indiana you can sign up for a 'leftover dose' and if you are called by the clinic you must show up by a specified time to get it. That is how the lovely Mrs_Bob and I got our doses. As they ship and are stored frozen they have to be thawed each day. The thawed doses must be used up or thrown away. (I know I'm repeating prior information). But here in Indiana the policy is that they inject those "leftover" doses into the arms of people on a 'wait' list. Perhaps that is why Indiana is doing pretty well in terms of % vaccinated?

I'm curious if you folks in other states have current information about your state and if there are waiting lists or if they are dumping the excess into the garbage can.