• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 photos

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
A new member requested some J5 pics and I've got some :whistle:

First is the rear part of the suspension. There is a spring in the can. The tube leaning against the right end is a grease/hydraulic track tensioner.

Second is looking underneath the back of the winch one,

Third is both of them in my garage :D

If there is something specific anyone would like to see, just ask.

Attachments

• jmJ5suspensionOP.jpg
    jmJ5suspensionOP.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • jmJ5backunderneathOP.jpg
    jmJ5backunderneathOP.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,113
  • jmJ5bothingarageOP.jpg
    jmJ5bothingarageOP.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,107

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
More

Attachments

• jmJ5TedtrackapartOP.jpg
    jmJ5TedtrackapartOP.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,189
  • MJ5fronttiresprocketoffsetW.jpg
    MJ5fronttiresprocketoffsetW.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,122

mlang2005

Glad you liked my twist on a old joke. btw nice cats are they real or implants:5boobs: just kidding:yum: You are a women after my own heart(three snowcats). My wife has no idea why I'am so interested in as she calls it "snowcat shit" Really i'am not sure either but I have loved them since the first time i saw one when I was a kid, I guess I like the idea of being able to get stranded deep in the woods, very far from help, in the dark and cold rigging parts together and barely making it back alive.:winterrul

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
mlang, I've been fascinated by snowcats all my life, also. Saw my first Tucker in about 1958.

Here is a scan of the suspension components for a J5. People think I'm kidding when I tell them there is nothing but square O-rings for grease seals on the bogey axles but that's how it was made.

Attachments

• J5suspensionscanW.jpg
    J5suspensionscanW.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,061

J5 Bombardier

Can somebody walk me through the manage attachments section for posting pics, a little more detailed than the instructions given.
Thanks J5 Bombardier:pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
J5 Bombardier said:
Can somebody walk me through the manage attachments section for posting pics, a little more detailed than the instructions given.
Thanks J5 Bombardier:pat:

Sure J5 I'll try;
1st type the text you want in the post.
Then go down and click the manage attachments button. Once you click that button you will see a window open (with browse buttons). You click one of the browse buttons and a window will open to allow you to browse your computers files to pick the picture / image you want to post. Double click the picture you want to post. This will close the browse window and you'll be back to the window that opened up when you clicked 'manage attachments'. If you want to post more than one picture in your post then browse and select a picture again. You can post up to three pictures in any post. If that is not enough just do another post after the 1st one.

Okay, now I'll assume you have all the pics you want to post selected, and the file names showing in the browse pics box. Click the upload pics button. This will copy the files from yoour computer to the FF server.

Once you see all the pics uploaded (they will show up in blue) then you close this window. Now you are back at the original post that you clicked 'manage attachments' in. You'll notice under the manage attachments button that the images you selected in the previous window now show there (just the file names). Now your good to go, just hit the submit button and thats it.

Hope that helps. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. :D

J5 Bombardier

Thanks for the help everybody,I Left the post blank on previous attempts, Let's see if it works now.
Thanks J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN0580.jpg
    DSCN0580.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSCN0597_2.jpg
    DSCN0597_2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,172

J5 Bombardier

New Project ,1966 Bombardier Muskeg Carrier stripped down for rebuild
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN1326.jpg
    DSCN1326.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSCN1369.jpg
    DSCN1369.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 984

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Your J5 looks brand new !!! :a1:

When you get a chance, could you post a picture of your winch and trailer ??? The trailer seems convertable from 4 footers to log length. Do you have the loading arm ? I have a trailer and might make a loading arm some year.

Muskegs look like the wheels are hard to work on.....

J5 Bombardier

Thanks, yes the J5 was a 2 yr rebuild, suspension and drive train were in good shape when I got it. But the hull was bent and twisted so bad that I ended up cutting it in two and from the driver's foot rest back I built a new tub. Installed another 251 dodge with live hydraulics off the crankshaft and a rad out back so no cooling issues. The winch is 8000lb hyd and the boom can be raised up to clear the trailer when towing.
The trailer bunks can be removed, most off the time I haul 4 foot to supply an outside furnace. I want to finish building a log clam to install on the front of the trailer extend it 3ft and tow it with the Muskeg.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, J5.

So your winch has a lower position ???

Neither of my machines will ever look that good. I'll be happy to just get them functioning !!!!

J5 Bombardier

In the last pic the boom is in it's lowest position, for a really hard pull I hook a snatch block at the trailer hitch to keep the cable low to the ground. When skidding I have a heavy blade on the front to add some weight and keep the skidway clear of logs. It works good for what I want to do, Bombardier made a skidder called a (Red Ram ) only 400 were made I think.The motor was in the front and fixed back wheels they can really pull but very nose heavy when empty.
Then wheeled skidders appeared and that was the end for them .Attached is a pic of my friends Red Ram, since stripped for repair, it will be red once again when finished
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN0820.jpg
    DSCN0820.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,081

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That Red Ram is pretty neat ! Mr. Bombardier was such an inventive man !

J5, I'm glad you mentioned about having the blade in front for weight. I'd been wondering if a hard winching or big hitch of logs would be too much weight on the rear.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome pics J5!!!!! :thumb:
I'm amazed at the amount of wood you can move with that thing. I'd never seen a tracked trailer like that. I'm assuming that is only to keep it on top of the snow, there is no power driving the track is there?
The J5 is the sportiest snowcat yet to my way of thinking ....but with an open cab it sure would get cold.

J5 Bombardier

Thanks Doc, The trailer is not powered and for a small machine it can haul a big load. I always have my roads well packed and froze before hauling. I have gotten off the road a couple of times,winched myself out once and my neighbor rescued me with his Muskeg the next.
So that's the next project a Muskeg re-powered with a diesel behind the cab. A nice quiet warm cab, just what's needed for those cold Canadian winters.
Glad you enjoyed the pics, J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

mlang2005

why dont you guys haul that wood in the summer when it's warm and dry?:hide: I keep telling my wife I need my snowcat but what I need is a a good reason to buy a few more.:winterrul

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
There are several reasons to haul wood in the winter.

The ground is frozen so soft areas will be damaged less.

The wood doesn't get dirt packed on to it so a chainsaw or bandsaw blade stays sharper longer.

You can see thru the woods in the winter. Makes tree selection and walking easier.

You sweat less and don't get chewed by bugs.

J5s were made to work in the woods year round. That's why I got one. I don't really think of it as a "snowcat" .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but for use in the snow, would a trailer with SKIS pull easier?

The J5 trailer with tracks obviously would be better for year round use, but how does it pull in the winter when the snow starts to accumulate?

J5 Bombardier

Actually ski's were an option on the Bombardier trailer, I saw some this summer at a dealer's .
Another reason to haul wood in the winter is it gets to boring sitting in an "IGLOO" in the "GREAT WHITE NORTH" !:flagcan:
J5 Bombardier

Bombardier also made one called the weasel: muskeg chassis w/ motor in front, cab in center,winch w/ log arch in back. had floatation skirt,sold and used mainly in central/south american swamps. seen one at inland track in toronto. also pic of one in book called:"Tracks in the forest" put out by Timberjack group in 1997 page 181

Attachments

• img079.jpg
    img079.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited: