• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Questions on PU truck RV's

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am thinking of taking a long drive with little or no itinerary, and am considering purchasing either a slide in camper, popup slide in camper, or a pull along popup. I would prefer used. Anyone have any input on any of these?

I would be using a Sierra 1500 5.3 V8 with a towing package. I am concerned with mileage, convenience, cost, and ease of getting the camper in or out so as to use the PU. Any ideas?

fuzznutz

with your concerns and knowing that you would more than likely need to add some sort of helper springs to assist in hauling a slide in camper with the truck staying level for safety. i would suggest getting a tow behind pop up camper it will affect the fuel mileage the least since it isn't adding much wind resistance to the truck and it will allow the use of the bed all the time and they can usually be found a dime a dozen for cheap unlike a slide in type of camper

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my take is that a small pull along 24 foot or less is your best bet they are easy to drive with with a weight equalizing system it will tow like it isn't there when you set up camp pull the plug and disconect the trailer and all you have to do is drive the truk around the draw backs are no way to tow toys like baoats that wo't fit in the truck bed the plus side is a lower over all highth for less wind resistance and you don't have to put every thing away and unhook alll your hookups like water and electrical to go to the store . if you want real cheep transportation throw in a couple of mopeds in the back of the truck great way to tour the towns in the lower 48 easy to park and cheap to operate

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you plan on leaving the camper at a camp ground on your trip then get a pull behind camper, slide in campers are some times tricky to load /unload and can take 30 min to complete. if you decide to get a slide in , are you going to use it off road?
pop up slide in campers are better for off road,less chance of catching the roof in the trees.
lifted pull behind are good for off road but can be difficult to back out of a dead end road,non lifted pull behind campers often have stuff hanging low(clean out valves exec.) figure what your going to use it for and buy accordingly:smile:
hope this helps.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
with your concerns and knowing that you would more than likely need to add some sort of helper springs to assist in hauling a slide in camper with the truck staying level for safety. i would suggest getting a tow behind pop up camper it will affect the fuel mileage the least since it isn't adding much wind resistance to the truck and it will allow the use of the bed all the time and they can usually be found a dime a dozen for cheap unlike a slide in type of camper
That is kind of what I a thinking. I do not want to turn my pickup into a permanent RV, and I would be heading west, which means two mountain ranges.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My last truck was a '99 gmc 1500 4x4 with the towing package. I tried the slide in truck camper routine with it. Let's just say that in 30 miles, I had to stop four times to wipe my arse. I soon got rid of that thing and went with a pull behind camper. A 1500 series pickup is NOT designed to have that much weight in the box. I don't care what the commercials and brochures say. Hell, my uncle had a 3/4 ton and it was just enough truck to do the job with a truck camper in the back. He had both styles(regular and pop up). Get yourself a good used travel trailer and you won't regret it.

edit:
I just remembered a 1500 series truck I once saw with a truck camper in the back. The truck hit a bump and the frame of the truck literally folded in the middle between the cab and box and the truck had to be scrapped. This was a regular cab 4x4 with stiffer springs added.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hybrid fold down beds and regular trailer in the midle best compromise

shamrock.jpg

slide ins are too tight for me
popups take longer to set up and I have had cables fail not fun.

I can have it leveled and the beds down in in 10- 15 minuets if site is close to level

One big thing and I'm, not kidding !!!!
Try the bathroom on for size.
Go in and drop your pants and simulate wipeing!!
My trailer is tight (I'm 6'3" and 300lbs) but I found some other trailers hybrid or regular that I couldn't pull my pants up let alone wipe.

tom

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hybrid fold down beds and regular trailer in the midle best compromise

shamrock.jpg

slide ins are too tight for me
popups take longer to set up and I have had cables fail not fun.

I can have it leveled and the beds down in in 10- 15 minuets if site is close to level

One big thing and I'm, not kidding !!!!
Try the bathroom on for size.
Go in and drop your pants and simulate wipeing!!
My trailer is tight (I'm 6'3" and 300lbs) but I found some other trailers hybrid or regular that I couldn't pull my pants up let alone wipe.

tom
I'm not familiar with that configuration or model. What brand is that?

loboloco

Jimbo, if it is just you and one other, I would look at a 12' pop-up trailer. If you get one only slightly used, the only thing missing is a bathroom. portable toilets work there.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the time it will be just me. I don't intend to live in it, just use it for a crash pad.
I would be visiting friends along the route. I don't want the thing to become a burden.

loboloco

Check out the Jayco camper site, Jimbo. If it was just me, I would look at a 10 or 12 ft pop up trailer. My family had one for almost twenty years and had very little problem with it. It is still in use by my brother, because my parents got too old to want to continue maintaining it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the time it will be just me. I don't intend to live in it, just use it for a crash pad.
I would be visiting friends along the route. I don't want the thing to become a burden.
If it's just you most of the time and you'll be visiting friends (and I'm assuming you can crash on their couch) along the way, have you considered just putting a cap on the back of the truck?

You didn't mention what season you would be going but you could set it up pretty easily and cheaply to sleep in there or take a tent with you. If it's a nasty day/night and you're not sleeping at a friends, just get a hotel/motel room. The savings in fuel used could probably pay for a week in motel rooms.

For the drive itself, you wouldn't burn nearly as much fuel (especially when you hit the mountains) and would be able to pick your own cruising speed as opposed to having a camper in-tow which then almost dictates your speed. Many states out there have 70-75 MPH speed limits. Easily maintained with just your truck but I don't know if I'd want to do that with something in tow.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's just you most of the time and you'll be visiting friends (and I'm assuming you can crash on their couch) along the way, have you considered just putting a cap on the back of the truck?

You didn't mention what season you would be going but you could set it up pretty easily and cheaply to sleep in there or take a tent with you. If it's a nasty day/night and you're not sleeping at a friends, just get a hotel/motel room. The savings in fuel used could probably pay for a week in motel rooms.

For the drive itself, you wouldn't burn nearly as much fuel (especially when you hit the mountains) and would be able to pick your own cruising speed as opposed to having a camper in-tow which then almost dictates your speed. Many states out there have 70-75 MPH speed limits. Easily maintained with just your truck but I don't know if I'd want to do that with something in tow.
I have thought of that option. I would be staying with friends most of the time, and this would certainly be the cheapest option. I really don't need much, an air mattress and a Coleman stove and a cooler would work most of the time.

Weather is not a problem as I would not leave until after March. I will be spending a lot of time in the mountains.

Aside from saving a few bucks, there are a few places I want to visit, and

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you get a high top topper that is higher for the last 4 ft. toward the tailgate you can sit in a lawn chair and enjoy the view without banging your head. they make getting in and out a lot better. Bolt a small dresser in the front corner and it can be real handy to camp that way. Get a porta potty and shower as you can.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is flying out in that direction, then renting a RV an option for you? I've done this in the past. Fly to someplace like Denver, rent a RV for a couple weeks then return it back in Denver and fly home.
I just went to Cruise America's site (since that's what I used in the past).
You can rent a 19' RV (pictures in the following link) for 2 weeks and 1,400 miles for under $1,300 (+taxes and surcharges?).
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/webres/c19.htm

You wouldn't spend the extra 2 days driving to get there (and another 2 days back) plus zero wear-and-tear on your truck. If you figure 25-cents per mile wear-and-tear on your truck, at 5-6,000 miles (my guess on your round trip), you would be close to breaking even on renting an RV. The airfare seems to be running under $400 round-trip from DC to DEN. 4 extra days of driving vs. $400...

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

I agree with Boomer . A nice Leer cap is hard to beat . Mind is all carpeted on the inside with a dome lite . They hold there value very well too . I bought a new one for $1100 . Fits tight , matches the paint job and looks nice .

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
my 2 cents....... I prefer to go on trips in the camper you always have a comfy bed with you. No need for public rest rooms I have gone on 2 week vacations without using one once. food costs are less. not to mention prob better for your health. If I was alone or had a pet with me I would look for a small 6.5 ft popup slide in camper with the basics. Alot of them weigh less than 1500lbs and are only 1ft above cab. affect fuel mileage minimal

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ask Big Al where I have put my 30ft bumper pull model!!!! Creeks are no stopping them when they are set up right....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ask Big Al where I have put my 30ft bumper pull model!!!! Creeks are no stopping them when they are set up right....

Just down from my place !!!!!! Might be a little tough getting there today .....too much snow

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is flying out in that direction, then renting a RV an option for you? I've done this in the past. Fly to someplace like Denver, rent a RV for a couple weeks then return it back in Denver and fly home.
I just went to Cruise America's site (since that's what I used in the past).
You can rent a 19' RV (pictures in the following link) for 2 weeks and 1,400 miles for under $1,300 (+taxes and surcharges?).
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/webres/c19.htm

You wouldn't spend the extra 2 days driving to get there (and another 2 days back) plus zero wear-and-tear on your truck. If you figure 25-cents per mile wear-and-tear on your truck, at 5-6,000 miles (my guess on your round trip), you would be close to breaking even on renting an RV. The airfare seems to be running under $400 round-trip from DC to DEN. 4 extra days of driving vs. $400...
I'm done with flying. The hassle I went through just to get a 13 year old girl on and off a plane last September, and what I have heard about TSA recently leaves me cold.

The trip would be a "look at things" trip with no real itinerary. I now live alone in a 4500 sq ft house, and, if all goes well, I will be homeless by the middle of the summer. I plan on doing a bit of traveling before deciding what I want to do when I grow up. I am now 73.