• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Knitting For A Cause At St. Rose School :)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.hometownstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=13632886

I saw this on my local news station this evening and it made me smile.
There is a video attached to the link too.

What struck me about this is that there ARE schools out there who are taking the time to draw their students into something such as knitting, both for the enjoyment of those participating and for doing something for their communities.

Our kids need something that will interest them and keep them busy, instead of getting caught up in a lot of things that are a waste of time.
Kudos to Principal Pat Shanahan :D
---------------

A knitting circle for a new generation at St. Rose School in Lima.

"You can make your own stuff without buying anything," said Samantha Judy, sixth grade knitter.

Several students between third and sixth grade are part of a club called Sticks and Strings.

"I've made several things-- bookmarks, squares, fingerless gloves," said Ally Garlock, sixth grade knitter.

Each week the students practice their stitches and make items they would normally buy. Principal Pat Shanahan came up with the idea to bring back the often overlooked skill.

"I realized, growing up I had been blessed by doing these things like knitting and sewing. I thought, girls today don't know how to do those things anymore," said Shanahan.

The after school activity is doing more than providing new fashion accessories to wear for the winter. The students are also knitting squares for an organization called Warm up America.

"It helps others not just myself," said Garlock.

The squares will eventually become afghans which will be distributed to organizations like the Red Cross and hospitals.

13632886_BG1.jpg

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
My wife Knits,and it rubbed of on my two girls aged 15 and 8....knowing it teaches kids to be patient,articulate and creative i for one think it is a skill more parents should hand down.

That school is doing good.