• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello from Bastimentos Panama !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Did the dog maybe tangle with a gator? Bear kills off a few each year around here.

I honestly do not know . The wife is really upset . We have looked everywhere and the whole island is on the lookout for her . Now I have poeple telling me someone has to have her tied up . I do not know what to think anymore . I really don't care if she comes back , as long as she is safe and happy .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well ... as of today the Genaro's Chickem Ranch is open for business and taking orders for a July 1st delivery date . Looks like Genaro and Juan are going to average $5000 a month in gross sales to start . That should be a good start for them . They are very excited . The only problem I can see is they can sell more chicken than they can raise . I set them down and had a long talk to them about providing good dependable service and maintaining a ample continueing supply of fresh chickens to provide to their larger contracts .

I think this will be a good thing for them as Genaro will never again have to depend on tourism to make a living . Take care of the chickens and they will take care of him .

I am still not sure why ,but the guys have told me a number of times that eggs are not avalible in December and Janurary here on the island . They say you just cannot find any . We will be producing 21 dozen a week . starting in August . That does not sound like much .but it will tip the scale for a very decent profit margin for the boys .

Yes ,it has been a good Day ....Thank you Lord ...:smile:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like quite the operation Al , good show & thanks for sharing . More pics would be even better though :biggrin: . Best of luck on finding the pup as well .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a few more pictures of the chickens as they are getting bigger . The new roosting shed ,I just finished and the painting that Carlos did in the guest bathroom.

We made a few minor changes to the first chicken coop to ease in cleaning operations . Genaro cleaned it and now has 6- 100 pound sacks of a chicken/ wood shaving mix to start selling .

Attachments

• chickens#2 007.jpg
    chickens#2 007.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 106
  • chickens#2 014.jpg
    chickens#2 014.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 104
  • chickens#2 018.jpg
    chickens#2 018.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 105
  • chickens#2 036.jpg
    chickens#2 036.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 107

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well , it looks like the Rainy season has begun here .We are getting 3 - 4 inches a day now . We are also getting storms almost every day now . Had to fire off the backup generator yesterday to bring the batterys up to full charge . The wind turbine is working well ,but still not supplying enough power . 2 weeks until we head north .
Boy , am I going to miss this place .

I plan on trying to build a set of boat landing steps into the lagoon tomorrow as we will be having older guest come in September to visit . It will making entering and exiting the boat much easier .At the rate I am moving it will take all day !

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
All I see is $$$$$$$$$$. LOL:smile::yum::biggrin:

Aww man, you just reminded me of something my great grandfather told me as a kid. I told him that all the hogs and cattle he raised made his place smell terrible. He just said "That's the smell of money to me child". :mellow:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a picture of one of the vegetable gardens . This is a old 16' Dug Out canoe that we filled with dirt and planted seeds in. The Crabs can't get to the plants . Works well .We have a couple like this and they are conversation starters .

Attachments

• planter 002.jpg
    planter 002.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 86

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I decided that this afternoon would become the

"National pet the hummingbird Day".

As you can see , these little guys do not fear humans . All these pictures are without a zoom lens .

Attachments

• birds 010.JPG
    birds 010.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 163
  • birds 026.JPG
    birds 026.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 157
  • birds 025.JPG
    birds 025.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 147

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow! All this wet weather has really brought out the No-see-ems . Good God ,, I was a buffet for the little bastards tonight . We finally gave up and came inside for the evening .I'm going to over drink and when the little bastards bite me ,they will die of Alcohol abuse .:unsure::biggrin::w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well ,the bugs were bad last night . I got nailed by something that has my left ear and cheek all swollen . I washed it down and put some alcohol on it . Only about the 4th time I been bit like that in all the years coming down . It will probably leave a scar for about 2 months .It could have been just about anything and thats the problem .:unsure: Right now I look like Scarface ...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful hummingbirds you got there scarface (SF for short).

Now we need a pic of your mug as it is now ...at it's worst. I dare ya! :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful hummingbirds you got there scarface (SF for short).

Now we need a pic of your mug as it is now ...at it's worst. I dare ya! :D

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anybody ever said you guys can be assholes ??? If it were not for the 8 Rum & cokes I have had , it might have killed me ...........:yum:I feel like a real dog ..

Attachments

• mug.jpg
    mug.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been called asshole by a lot cuter faces than yours! unless the bug improved your looks!!:w00t2::w00t2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well ,the bugs were bad last night . I got nailed by something that has my left ear and cheek all swollen . I washed it down and put some alcohol on it . Only about the 4th time I been bit like that in all the years coming down . It will probably leave a scar for about 2 months .It could have been just about anything and thats the problem .:unsure: Right now I look like Scarface ...

:w00t2::nopics:

:hide:

llewis7249

Hey Al. Try a product called Cactus Juice to ward off the no-see'ums. It's the only thing I've found that works for these little buggers!

LL in FL

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Al. Try a product called Cactus Juice to ward off the no-see'ums. It's the only thing I've found that works for these little buggers!

LL in FL

I never heard of that , but I will look it up . Welcome to the Forums !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The monsoons have arrived . I think we must be getting close to 3 inches of rain a day now . Somehow , I have to go to the other island and it will be a soggy trip for sure . In fact you cannot even see the other island ,it is raining so hard here. Then its a 9 mile run across open seas to get to the mainland ,in a 22 foot open boat .. May have to make a change in plans . We have rain gear ,but we will be bailing the whole way to and from the other island and mainland .

Good news is the 2600 gallons of fresh rainwater tanks are full and overflowing ...:unsure::w00t2::whistling::clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Went to Bocas town and heard bad news .
Two boats collided last night about 8:30 . No lights and going too fast ! A 19 year old boy who was supposenly drinking was killed . They found the body this morning just around the point from my place . The local police have been cracking down on boats without lights ,but still there are people here who feel they do not need them .

Talked with two more businesses about buying chickens from Genaro . My biggest fear is fast becoming reality . He will need to be bringing in or hatching 50 chicks a week to keep up .Also the local hardware store will buy every bit of Fertilizer the chickens can produce .Fertilizer is hard to come by here and he can sell it at $5 for a 10 pound bag . He now has a waiting list for his shit ??!!!!:shifty::yum:

Monday we will go back to Changinola to pick up another 100-200 chicks .
I am now redesigning coops to gain more room .:unsure:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Fertilizer is hard to come by here and he can sell it at $5 for a 10 pound bag . He now has a waiting list for his shit ??!!!!:shifty::yum:

Man Al, after that cruise I just took and eating at a cheap Chinese place last night, I might be able to drop enough to pay for a flight down! :whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Al's chicken emporium and fertilizer factory! Glad the chickens seem to be working out for you down there. Are the locals capable of running things when you are not there? Seems you can't sit still any better than me.:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Man Al, after that cruise I just took and eating at a cheap Chinese place last night, I might be able to drop enough to pay for a flight down! :whistling:

Don't Laugh! We been thinking the same thing !LOL:yum:

Big Al's chicken emporium and fertilizer factory! Glad the chickens seem to be working out for you down there. Are the locals capable of running things when you are not there? Seems you can't sit still any better than me.:whistling:

It's really Genaro's Chicken Operation. I think Genaro is more than capable of raising the Chickens and getting the product ready for market , but that is just 1/2 of the business .He appears to do well selling his product and if he can think forward ,as to his needs , he should do well .I will be paid back for the structures and start up cost as time passes .I had his business cards made today so the locals will always have his number handy .
You are right though , I never had enough ass to sit still long .

Al -- here's the Cactus Juice website. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

It's a bit pricey, but no chemical smell, absorbs quickly, and isn't greasy. I don't usually recommend products, but this one works.

LL in FL

I do appreciate that and will give it a try !!!:clap:

This seems more fitting for Al . May not keep the noseems away but drink enough of it & they,ll fall off drunk . :w00t2:

http://www.boozebros.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=50518&

My kind of reasoning !!!!!:yum::w00t2: