• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

steam from heater vent on snow trac

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
about the first startup of the season and the snow trac blew thick steam out the heater vents. it is air cooled and i'm thinking moisture got in the engine heater manifold . it never happened before. it was the first time I got it up to temperature since last spring. it is stored inside.
after 25 minutes it stopped.
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I kept trying to smell smoke or grease and couldn't. I could have parked it outside in the rain when I moved it from my barn last month. washing it, that never happened.
i'll let it set and run it again in a couple days. strange

Sno-Surfer

just a sign that it needs to be started and brought up to temp a little more often. Most likely either just condensation or some water got into the heater boxes or anywhere in the heat ducting. As long as it doesn't smell like gas or exhaust you should be fine.
How does the bottom or your oil cap look, like a milk shake? Another indication of it needing to be ran up to temp more often but probably not hurting anything.
We need some snow.... :smile:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
just a sign that it needs to be started and brought up to temp a little more often. Most likely either just condensation or some water got into the heater boxes or anywhere in the heat ducting. As long as it doesn't smell like gas or exhaust you should be fine.
How does the bottom or your oil cap look, like a milk shake? Another indication of it needing to be ran up to temp more often but probably not hurting anything.
We need some snow.... :smile:

I would say your correct,scott. I got the same from a vw group that I visit.
it is common for condensation to build up in the heater when setting for a long time.
oil is fine and the steam had no distinctive smell at all.
jim

luvthemvws

Does a volcano not spew steam before it erupts?
With the explosive power contained within the VW engine, I am surprised more people don't report such emissions!
Perhaps we VW fans have become accustomed to the phenomenon and no longer take notice of it...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
mine does that after every blizzard I can never get all the snow out of the ventilation system. As a side note I took mine out on the first run of the season this weekend.