• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 w/251 - spark plug choice??

uppercanada

I noticed autolite 216 plugs in my J5 whereas the autolite book calls for 295 plugs for a Chrysler 251. Previous owner did a ring and valve job, no great reason for such a cooler plug?. The old 216 plugs look alright - just lots of carbon. The 216 plugs in it now are much colder plugs than the 295 i figure. Also the 216 has a little longer reach at .437 inches and the 295 shows .375 inches - should I really be running the 295 or keep the 216 ? What sort of plugs are in your J5s out there? Any ideas?

Also - I just got my carb back for my 251 J5. The rebuilders said the accelerator pump was "dry and full of dust" and could not believe the J5 ran at all with the carb as dirty as it was. Sending the carb out for re-build was such an improvment! I re-install it tomorrow.

And how about 5W30 in the engine? as it is extremely cold here.

Thanks!