• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat rental?

mudpuppy

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and have zero experience operating snow cats of any sort. Not even sure if this is the right forum to put this but it has the most threads.
Here's my problem; I've got some property for sale near Yosemite at 5000 feet. Its presently buried by 5-6 feet of snow. I've got two or three different buyers but can't get them there. I have no need for a snow cat other then to get these few people in and out, so buying one doesn't make much sense and freezing buyer's tookuses off on a ten or twelve mile snowmoblie romp isn't a great sales pitch either, especially as the powder is pretty new and the buyers aren't.
Would anybody within a few hours of Yosemite consider renting their snowcat out for a few days? The road in is nearly flat (it only rises 800 feet in twelve miles) and is two lanes wide. The property itself has plenty of roads and is also nearly flat. I've never run a snowcat but I have spent the last twenty two years owning and running mostly forestry bulldozers, but also log skidders, front-end loaders, ASV posi tracs, etc, and have a natural aptitude for any equipment.
If no one wants to rent one out to someone they don't know who hasn't driven one, which I can understand, would anyone consider renting one with an operator? Might see some new country and make some money too.
I may just use snowmobiles but would like to know if there is another option. Thanks for any info you can provide even if its telling me it can't be done. And rest assured while I've always admired Thiokols I am an equal opportunity renter who does not wish to get involved in any Tucker/Kristi/Snowtrac/Thiokol/etc feuds. For a guy who loves machines, they all look cool to me.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You need a ASTRO van! :rolleyes: Holds 6-8 people including operator.:drive2:

Attachments

• DSCN0584[1].JPG
    DSCN0584[1].JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 799

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
You need a ASTRO van! :rolleyes: Holds 6-8 people including operator.:drive2:

Your van is just the kewlest thing. It really is.
We need video! We need video! :applause:
:weneedpic ... AND more pics!

You should make and sell these!
I know, I'm a broken record.

mudpuppy

Thanks vance,

I'll give them a call.
Massachusets and Idaho are just a tad outside my effective radius.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
PM SnowcatOperations in Ely, NV. He's got a couple of operating cats (not the slow master :yum:) just sitting around.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
That looks a bit strange..... How come the shadow on the mirror doesn't match the tree shadows....:poke:

Smells like a Photo Shop.... need more photos....:pirate:

Fogtender, No photo shop here, this was the maiden voyage last year in the field , I recall -20' below and I ran out of fuel where it sits.:shitHitFan: No shadows in this photo in the Shop .:pirate: I view of the hydraulics that lift the body , for your maintenence and checking the fluids. :respect: thats the aux. hyd. tank sitting on the tracks, before welding.

Attachments

• P3013419.jpg
    P3013419.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How's the engine access on the left side of the engine? Doesn't look like it would be fun to work on anything on that side. Cool looking cat though. I like it!

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Left side is a little less open, but seeing the only things over there are the exhaust, starter, intercooler, aux.hyd pump, most can be accesed thru the left wheel well. Standing on your head with your feet sticking out the door working on the engine just isnt fun anymore, and a cab-forward design realy isnt practical here .:snow2_smi:

Snowcat rental - Contacts

Try contacting Michael Lang mlang2005@aol.com 559.626.2224 he is in Orange Cove, CA about 125 mile from you. He has a Thiokol 1201 and 1202. Another person is John Braun jabraun@braunelec.com in Bakersfield with a 6 passenger Pisten Bulley and a Bombardier 661.633.1451 or 661.978.2699 These guys are not in the rentals business but may do it for you. Good Luck. Where is the cabin in relationship to Badger Pass?
John

mudpuppy

Thanks John.

I emailed Mr. Lang a couple of days ago but haven't heard back. I'll give Mr. Braun a try also.
My property is on the north end of the park by Cherry Lake and Lake Eleanor. Its only about 7 miles from the park boundary but about 1 1/2 hours to the valley floor, so probably 2 hours to Badger Pass.
Here's a link to an ad for it:

http://www.landandfarm.com/lf/s/63/87898.asp

T2T, I wish you were closer too. That cushy astro van would be perfect for toting buyers around.

Brian

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Fogtender, No photo shop here, this was the maiden voyage last year in the field , I recall -20' below and I ran out of fuel where it sits.:shitHitFan: No shadows in this photo in the Shop .:pirate: I view of the hydraulics that lift the body , for your maintenence and checking the fluids. :respect: thats the aux. hyd. tank sitting on the tracks, before welding.

Wow, I am impressed. What do you do if you need to work on the driver's side of the engine? Do you have access though the inside of the van's "Dog house"?

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Most can be done thru the wheel well, a little tight ,and if its serious the carlift will pick the body off within 2 hours. doghouse is rigid, as the machine doesnot need to be running to hoist it up. Its is on its own 12volt hyd.pump.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Most can be done thru the wheel well, a little tight ,and if its serious the carlift will pick the body off within 2 hours. doghouse is rigid, as the machine doesnot need to be running to hoist it up. Its is on its own 12volt hyd.pump.

Where can you run something like that there without the rath of the local land owners? Is there very many restrictions on where you can go and such? Bet it turns a lot of heads though!

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I groom for the local club, and 60 percent of the land in town is state owned, most of the main corridor trails are old dirt roads the town no longer maintains.