• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ride side by side

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay guys,
I'm behind the times, I know. I have two ATV's and have been very happy with them. But, I'm ready to start looking at the 'side by side' models, partially for their hauling potetial, and ease of riding two together. The ones I've seen appear to have a wider stance also. 4 wd would be a must. Can't think of anything else I'd have to have on it, but I don't know what all the options are either. I saw a yamaha (think it's a rhino ??? not sure); it had bucket seats with seat belts and a roll cage. This made it appear mucho safer than an ATV. I suppose all the side by side models have those features.
What models do you guys think are the best and why. Also, ballpark prices would be cool if you know them.

Thanks,
Doc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't own one but I did look at them. Even the lovely Mrs_B has looked at them and likes them. I just really don't have a lot of use right now for one . . . but someday?

The one I like the best is from Spain, it has very few dealers here in the US and is expensive at roughly $12,000 to $14,000. It is the AUSA TASK 50. It is fast and comfortable.

Here is a link: http://www.uvcountry.com/ausa.html

If you want DIESEL then the heavier duty versions of the JD Gator or the Kubota RTV are the way to go. Each brand has its advantages and disadvantages. Kubota is supposed to have some innovations for their 2006 model that will make it far more useful, but I've not seen one yet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

Tell us more about your requirements.
Primarily, what's your plans for it? Do you want a work machine, a play machine or something in-between?
The spectrum is something like this:
Yamaha Rhino is a 90% play, 10% work machine. It's pretty fast (40-50mph depending on OEM vs. a couple aftermarket parts), fun to drive but has limited work capabilities. It can haul approx. 400# in the box and tow a light trailer. Weight wise, it's about the same as 2 ATV's (I think 1100#).

On the other end of the spectrum is something like the Kubota RTV. It's 90% work, 10% play. 3 cyl. diesel (similar to the BX series tractor). It weighs closer to 3 ATV's (1900#). It'll haul as much as you can fit in the box (probably 1500#) and has a hyd. dump to spill it out. Towing wise, I haven't heard of a limit yet. I've heard people tow 10-20,000# rolling loads.

Everything else seems to fall somewhere in-between these 2 machines.

For pricing, most units are between $8500 and $11500. Options and such can obviously drive the price up.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tough question BC. I do know that I sure won't need to go 50mph with it. I do between 7 and 12 mph on our trails. We ride them for enjoyment, but also plan plenty of work. I would guess I'd be at 60% work and 40% fun or somewhere right in there. Higher towing capacity is a big plus. But, the RTV's I took a gander at on one Kubobta lot seemed HUGE. Maybe that's a good thing, but it sure could be tight on some of my trails.

If the rhino is 90% play (or very light work) that would rule it out in my book. I was afraid I couldn't get off on the cheap end. :(

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Although the RTV weighs a lot more than the others, the footprint is pretty close. For most any UTV, you better plan on it being approx. 5' wide (and 10' long).

I use mine about at about the same ratio as you. Since I don't travel fast (kids are normally with me) the top speed of 25mph is fine.

I would propose you go kick the tires on as many brands as you can find and take for a test spin. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 then have a demo brought to your place so you can ride in your conditions.

A couple things to consider/watch:
Consider your terrain. If hilly, watch the center of gravity. Mud will also be a factor but that's just tire selection and you can worry about that later.

Turning. If you have a lot of tight turns, check out the turning radius as well as how easy (or not) it is to steer.

Noise. Some get pretty loud. At higher speeds, my Dad's Polaris Ranger is so noisy you can't talk. I've heard the Rhino can get a bit noisy but don't have any first hand experience. The diesel machines have about the same amount of noise from idle to full speed although the pitch is different. Actually, I think it has the most noise at idle.

Seating. If you expect only 2 people, the bucket seats are fine but if you have a 3rd (I have 2 kids), the bench seat was mandatory.

Accessories. Within a few weeks of purchasing, you'll have an itch to start putting "stuff" on it. Many start with a roof and/or windshield. Many, many other things can be added. As you consider the vehicle price, also consider the options. Some UTV's don't get a lot of things made for them and therefore the accessories may be a bit more pricy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good points BC. I guess I shouldn't have any problem with it 'fitting' on my trails. I take my Kubota Grand L 3010 back there and it's about 6' wide. I don't have that many tight turns, but hills, boy do I have hills. I've gotten my honda 400es stuck twice this year pulling a trailer up hills. I never had that problem before, so I'm thinking the tires are due for a change. I still have the originals on it and I've got 1100 hours on it, so they are probably due for a change. I really have to watch how heavy I load the trailer when pulling with my ATV, so the little bed on the UTV's and bigger towing capacity would be a huge plus to me. The ability to haul an extra person would be great. Every once in awhile that comes up, so a bench seat would be a plus. No grandkids yet, but two married daughters, so that might happen any year now.

What options have you guys added? Which are ones you can not do without? I'm thinking a winch sure would be nice. Maybe additional lights. How about music, does anyone put stereos in these bad boys?

Do all UTV's have a regular gas peddle and brake just like a car? Are they auto or stick? How do you change from forward to reverse?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so indecisive, I bought both an RTV and a Rhino. :eek: The Rhino was getting all of the action for play and the poor ole RTV (it will run 27 mph) wasn't getting much use except for work only. Now it all just depends on what we want to do. From experience, I've found that the only limiting factor for the Rhino is the size of the bed and lack of a power dump capability. Otherwise, the Rhino has hauled anything that can be stuffed, stacked, or piled in it's bed, it pulls more than the RTV if you put some weight in it's bed, and it will go through more mud, snow, up steeper hills, and has considerably more power.

However, the RTV now gets more use since I put larger tires on it and a 2" lift kit. Although it is slow and honestly underpowered, it is still fun to drive and the power steering is a nice feature. As you noted, it is considerably larger than some others. If you think the RTV is big, go look at a Polaris Ranger. It is about 6" wider!!

I have a friend who cusses Polaris constantly for reliability issues, but continues to buy them. I guess they have some nice features, but obviously still have some very serious reliability problems. His 6 month old Ranger has been in the shop as much as it has been at his house. My Rhino has had more than a little abuse, and nothing has ever broken. After driving several different offerings and owning an RTV and a Rhino for over a year each, I think if I had to pick one, I'd have to go with the Rhino. I like my RTV, and am going to keep it, but other than the size of the bed, the Rhino will out work the worker. If the RTV would come out with about 10 to 15 more hp, I may have to reconsider.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Dargo. Awesome review of both units.

The RTV looked like it sat fairly high with it's stock set up. Why did you raise it? Did that change the center of gravity (so that you notice it being more tippy)? I have a few creek beds I'll have to traverse, and need all the clearance I can get.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting Big Dog,
8999 for a gas model 3010 4wd or 9999 for the diesel model. Very interesting.
Like BC said, I'll have to sit in a few seats and try these puppies out. Thanks for the pointer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Doc. You asked for it (accessories).

Here's a pic of the machine in general (pictured from the side).
Some general/global changes I made visible from here:
New rims with Maxxis BigHorn tires.
Completely replaced cargo box with new one that includes integrated storage.
Gun mount/boot
Ramsey winch (can't see in picture).
Lexan windshield (quick attach or removal).
4 forward facing lights
1 light in cabin area
2 rearward (can pivot to side) general lights
Not in this picture, but I also added a 2" lift kit and a strobe light on the roof.

Some other things I added (I can attach pics).
1 cargo box light
1 light under box for rear receiver area
3rd (middle) seatbelt

Ceiling panel inside cabin (you can see it a little in the picture).
On this is mounted:
Stereo/CD (you can see in picture).
2 marine speakers towards the front
2 Cerwin Vega box speakers mounted to the rear of the ROPS
320w amp (wedged between ceiling and roof panel)
1 12V accessory plug
2 panels of 5 switches each - marine switches to run all this "stuff"

Across the front of the ROPS, just below the ceiling, I made a 3/4" bar that goes across to hold accessories made for ATV's. On this, I've put a nascar style rear view mirror, and RAM mount spotlight, pistol holder, GPS/Cell holder.

The battery has been replaced with a deep cycle marine battery. I'm working on a dual battery setup with an isolator for the aux. battery.

I think there's more on the machine but can't think of anything else right now.

I'm making a multi-mount system so I can have a winch in the rear of the machine. Also making a bar to mount across the front of the grill guard that can hold chainsaws and other tools.

I just got the glove box but don't care much for it. I'm considering a 12v cooler instead. (one of those kind that you can put on the seat of your car or wherever).

Attachments

• MVC-634S.JPG
    MVC-634S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 467

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW, that is tricked out BC. Looks GREAT.

Why did you raise it 2 inches, so you could get bigger wheels?

Is that a Kubota RTV you have there BC? (an aside, with these things being called UTV's, Kubota didn't do itself any favors naming their entry in this market the RTV...it took me awhile to figure out the RTV is a UTV made by Kubota.)

Is the transmission hydrostat?

Where is the engine? Under the rear bed or up front?

Stereo and 12 volt plug for cooler = 'fun' additions.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 2" lift was added because the aftermarket tires Dargo and I put on stand 1.5" taller than the OEM. Under extreme loads (1000#+ in the box, coming down a steep hill and then into a corner) would cause the front tire to rub on the wheel well. The lift kit did raise the center-of-gravity a bit but it's fine until/unless you do have a really heavy load on the side of a hill at which point it becomes a little more noticable.

Yes, mine is the Kubota RTV. They just picked the name RTV so they had a model name.

Yes, tranny is hydrostat. I let my daughter (8 years old) drive it last week. Even she can drive it easily.

Engine and tranny sit below the cargo box. The center-of-gravity is very low on the RTV.

Another thing I added that the kids really like is a set of airhorns. Whether the RTV is just sitting there or out, they want to blow the horns all the time.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bczoom How did you come up with the 90 -10 ? I hope that your own rating!
I have a sports car that I only use for a work commute car only. So I work for a sport or it can't be used for work? would you give it the same rating? I hope DOC doesn't belive all that is put infront of him.
I do lots more work with my rhino than 10%.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
stude said:
I do lots more work with my rhino than 10%.
Stude,
I understand you can do lots more work with a Rhino but I was trying to provide a general concept that by design the Rhino is a sports type UTV and the RTV is a work UTV.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A buddy of my son has a rhino, and is going to bring it over this coming weekend. I look forward to trying it out.

loki2

Check out the comfort of the Rhino Seating. I got a Rhino and I use it for everything, except going inot Fairbanks. I really like it, and I like having the speed, in case I would want it. I have taken some fairly long road trips 120 miles, and the Rhino was really comfortable to drive, and I have a bad back and a bad leg. I have two ATV's and they see almost no use anymore. Rhino is a good work vehicle. Now BC has special needs and he had that funny looking orange thing, but I know he is thinking of a Rhino.
I have a friend in MT, and he has two Mules, and one is diesel. Slow, but he loves them and they seem to work fine.
Bottom line is what you really want to do with it. Rhino is easy to load and trailer too. I hauled mine 1300 miles last spring,and used it in several states down in the lower 48. Some states they are street legal with a couple of easy mods.
I like the Rhino best of those I have seen. The only one that I avoid is Polaris. I do not like to walk back.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
loki2 said:
Now BC has special needs and he had that funny looking orange thing, but I know he is thinking of a Rhino.
You're right, I do want (and plan on getting) a Rhino. It'll be in addition to, not a replacement of that "funny looking orange thing".
loki2 said:
I hauled mine 1300 miles last spring
If I recall correctly, you missed a zero in the # of miles. Didn't you haul it 13,000 miles? (AK to TX and back).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
loki2 said:
Check out the comfort of the Rhino Seating. I got a Rhino and I use it for everything, except going inot Fairbanks. I really like it, and I like having the speed, in case I would want it. I have taken some fairly long road trips 120 miles, and the Rhino was really comfortable to drive, and I have a bad back and a bad leg.
With my back, that will play in my decision of what to get. Hhowever, with the bucket seats, there is no way to ride 3, right?

loki2 said:
I like the Rhino best of those I have seen. The only one that I avoid is Polaris. I do not like to walk back.
I've known a few Polarais ATV owners that had the same issue. For that reason alone, I'd be hard pressed to pay good money for one.
Thanks for your input loki!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
A buddy of my son has a rhino, and is going to bring it over this coming weekend. I look forward to trying it out.

He can't make it this weekend, has to work. Darnit. Nice weather here so it would have been the perfect day to try one out.

Oh well, wifes bday is tomorrow. I have other things I should take care of. ;)

maverick41950

Well Doc,

I tried them all & I decided the Rhino was for me. I have ladyfriends that seem to like it too. I try to see to it that they like being out in the bushes.:eek: I will leave the technical stuff to the smarter folks. I just like to get out & play on mine.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do my fair share of playing on our ATV's, but I'm ready to sell the ole Honda 300 2wd one and put that cash towards a UTV. The dump bed is very attractive because we haul rocks with the ATV and little trailer I have set up. A UTV appears it will do that task easier and not have to mess with a trailer, or if I do use the trailer I could haul more in it, maybe.
I'm not worried about what the ATV or UTV can pull, I'm concerned about what it can stop. We're hauling the rocks to the river bank and down a steep hill. To control the load I need to be able to stop.
I was hauling wood down there for building docks and found out what happens when your trying to stop and the load pushes you. It was scarey. Me, the ATV and the load of wood about went off the cliff on the side of the road :eek:. Scary for sure.